advertisement

Tidal's 'master' quality

Tried them all & have to agree, Tidal is way ahead in SQ terms.
For identical PCM releases that have been volume level matched I've found Tidal and Qobuz sound the same.
Without volume levelling Tidal tends to be a bit louder and this may affect what you think is better.

For new recordings it’s more than very very good, it’s remarkable. Multiple upgrades shockingly remarkable. For old recordings it changes the music, it’s either good, bad or different.

For identical PCM releases that have been volume level matched I've found Tidal and Qobuz sound the same.
Without volume levelling Tidal tends to be a bit louder and this may affect what you think is better.
SQ is a personal thing but loudness is not on my agenda where quality is concerned. In fact Tidal is quieter than Spotify by some margin & i personally feel sounds far superior.

SQ is a personal thing but loudness is not on my agenda where quality is concerned. In fact Tidal is quieter than Spotify by some margin & i personally feel sounds far superior.
Unless you level match the louder track will always sound the best. Spotify is lossy so no surprise that it sounds worse.

Unless you level match the louder track will always sound the best. Spotify is lossy so no surprise that it sounds worse.
Louder will not create superior transparency, better definition & control in the bass. Louder is not better IMO.

Louder will not create superior transparency, better definition & control in the bass. Louder is not better IMO.
Which is why I level match, so neither track is louder. Roon actually shows the dB leveling, Qobuz may show -1.5 and Tidal -3.2 for example, sometimes getting on for 5dB difference.

Like many others on here I've tried both Qobuz & Tidal for extended periods and couldn't reliably tell the difference sound quality wise between the two.
I settled on Qobuz as I was fed up of Tidal 'recommending' music that I wasn't remotely interested in, didn't want to faff around with MQA and lastly imo Qobuz is much better vfm.

I’ve changed my system considerably since I subscribed to Tidal but I also moved to Qobuz for vfm reasons plus I got jaded with the whole MQA debate.
But I wonder if I would be able to hear the differences between Tidal Masters and Qobuz if I could switch between both.
Right now I am not that intrigued to find out - that said I am glad the thread starter is enjoying Tidal Masters a lot!!

advertisement

Back