advertisement

best MM cartridge / MM phono stage combo under £1000

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Long search has led me to Nagaoka 500 into Rega Fono MM Mk5. Just north of £900.

Before I push the button, anyway got a better idea. MC's are out this time.
System is quite analytical so bright carts like Dynavector/AT are out, and any stylus profile that exaggerates surface noise and damage, ditto. Deck and arm will carry anything reasonably normal compliance etc.

Ta.

I think that would be good, especially if you want to avoid brightness. I use the Nag with an Aria and have no complaints at all. An Aria might be do-able for the budget used, but I don't know how much of an improvement over the Fono it represents.

Get the best phono stage you can and then use a "cheap" moving mag cart . Low cost carts can punch well above their weight on a decent system .
It depends of the cartridge.An AT VM95e punchs well above their weight, however a Rega Carbon don´t.

Deck is Palmer 2.5 with SME M2-9.
Footprint of P.S. to be tiny, and I don’t need, or want to pay for, an MC stage. If I ever return to a moving coil cartridge, I will add a pick up transformer in the line instead.

MM only stage rules out any suggestions I had, fwiw they were

Nagaoka MP500 into a used Moon 110LP V1 or V2.

Nagaoka MP300 into a used Trilogy 906.

Deck is Palmer 2.5 with SME M2-9.
Footprint of P.S. to be tiny, and I don’t need, or want to pay for, an MC stage. If I ever return to a moving coil cartridge, I will add a pick up transformer in the line instead.

No Rega Exact then….

Maybe a HOMC?
Benz ACE
Denon 110
Dynavector 10x5
Hana EH

Trilogy 906 should be fine.

Exact/Aria is fantastic and does things I miss when using any other cartridge. Not the last word in detail but boy is it musical.

advertisement

Back