advertisement

New washing machine- anyone bought a satisfactory one recently?

My Miele went unfixable, after providing faultless service for 13 or so years, back in November 2020. The independent repair engineer that attended has been around these machines all of his working life (guy was maybe in his late 50’s or early 60’s). When I asked him what his recommendation would be “So, another Miele then”, his response surprised me, “No, not any more”. The guy went on to recommend buying an LG, as he had bought one and rated it. A year or so on and I’m pretty happy with the LG (mid range model), washes really well and nice and quiet in operation.

Samsung eco bubble 9kg load 1400 spins

Play a tune when it finishes.

Can’t remember what we had before that.

My Miele went unfixable, after providing faultless service for 13 or so years, back in November 2020. The independent repair engineer that attended has been around these machines all of his working life (guy was maybe in his late 50’s or early 60’s). When I asked him what his recommendation would be “So, another Miele then”, his response surprised me, “No, not any more”. The guy went on to recommend buying an LG, as he had bought one and rated it. A year or so on and I’m pretty happy with the LG (mid range model), washes really well and nice and quiet in operation.

If you buy an LG one can you watch box sets and Antiques Roadshow on it too, whilst yer smalls are revolving?

Bosch, got simplest (not cheapest) with Best Buy recomends by which and GH.
Had 17years still going, never a fault.
With proviso it’s cleaning for a elderly ish single man, so not sweating to clean a family of five.
Though I am told by a domestic engineer friend Zannusi are in his opinion best value, esp for families.

Another happy Samsung user( apart from the pita tune when it’s done, I must get round to switching that off..) had a Panasonic before which was superb, and utterly silent, but unfortunately the cover over the screw at the back of the drum snapped off. Easy repair you’d think? Problem is they used a screw holding on the remains of the cover which had corroded to such a point it was impossible to remove, therefore couldn’t use it or it would’ve shredded my shreddies.. has to scrap it much to my disappointment.

They are all fundamentally the same, with the same components from the same OEMs wrapped in fancy casework.. I know this because for decades I did all of my own repairs on numerous machines.

Same applies increasingly to cars, computers etc.

'Yer pays 'yer money and..

A local repairer told me years ago that basic 'Indesit' machines were as good as any for a couple of hundred quid.

But.. Mrs Mull is always seduced by the bells and whistles count so... Our five year old Hoover ..with 1400 Spin Speed and 9Kg drum..has 14 basic programs, each adjustable in myriad ways... It's performed faultlessly so far.

But basically we use a 30 C minimum wash for most stuff and maybe a hotter one for towels. It's all we need...though if I ever find myself in posession of 9Kg of pure silk garments..I have the programme to wash them all at once..:rolleyes:

Just buy a decent machine and be happy if it lasts 5 years..ecstatic if longer.. If the drum bearings, spider or controller break..forget it and buy a new one.

Interesting, Chartz, but why; or rather, why not? Quality white goods, quality hifi, quality TVs and quality vehicles; what's not to like?
Economics. My principle is to buy everything from Europe if I can.
LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Kia et al are out.

Generally speaking, cheaper machines seem to be built to just survive beyond their warranty. That's my experience anyway from having many machines over the years. Each time the component that failed was of a just good enough standard. For example carbon brushes which could have been plenty long were short so they would wear out after three years. I detest this chuck away and replace mindset. I'd rather that something was at least designed to last a long time. Sure, things can happen, but to have that failure designed in is unacceptable.

Slightly different tack (could start another thread) the mechanic who fixed my fridge/freezer strongly recommended Beko because they are easy to fix and the parts are readily available. Helps that they aren’t that expensive to buy either

It's the call out costs though, and inconvenience as they always break at the worst possible time. Fridges always on a friday afternoon!

Our new kitchen was fitted out with Siemens appliances (apart from the Miele ovens, which SWMBO wanted 'cos they were bigger inside). All have performed faultlessly over the last eight or so years. Their kit always scores highly in "Which?", where at the moment the highest-scoring washing machine is LG, followed by Samsung.

I bought a Samsung for the five year warranty. It replaced a John Lewis badged machine that I bought for the three year warranty, although it lasted around ten years before the main bearing collapsed.
I have sensitive skin so go for good rinse performance (as well as high spin speed and long warranty).

As several others have pointed out already, the problem with this type of question is that the wonderful/rubbish machine we bought 10 years/1 year ago and which is still running faultlessly/long gone to the tip, won't be available now and there is no guarantee that it's replacement is any good/total crap like the old one. For what it's worth, in my experience and on a like for like basis as far as possible, each successive new washing machine/dishwasher/fridge/other white goods I have bought has been shonkier than the previous one.

Having said all that, my current Bosch Classixx 6 has been running faultlessly for 12 years. It is of course no longer available. And will now break down :)

Last machine was second hand, from my uncle, a Bosch and lasted us twenty years. When the programmer went we bought an AEG, and were initially very happy with it - very quiet and got clothes very clean. After less than a year water started pouring out from underneath it, this was before Christmas, and what with covid and Christmas it was a month before an engineer came to fix it under warranty. It transpired that the outer drum was now plastic and a coin had got loose from a pocket and punched through the drum. And would in all likelihood if another coin was allowed to, it would do it again to the replaced drum. As a plastic outer drum is nowhere near the strength of the metal drums used customarily. Engineer said all the modern stuff is similarly rubbish, his own machine was ten years old.

As several others have pointed out already, the problem with this type of question is that the wonderful/rubbish machine we bought 10 years/1 year ago and which is still running faultlessly/long gone to the tip, won't be available now and there is no guarantee that it's replacement is any good/total crap like the old one. For what it's worth, in my experience and on a like for like basis as far as possible, each successive new washing machine/dishwasher/fridge/other white goods I have bought has been shonkier than the previous one.

Having said all that, my current Bosch Classixx 6 has been running faultlessly for 12 years. It is of course no longer available. And will now break down :)
Yes a Bosch or a Miele of 10 years ago is probably a different beast from today’s equivalent. We have a 23 year old Bosch dishwasher still going strong.
The more I read reviews of current washing machines, the more depressing is the needless complexity- for example it tells you how long the cycle will be based on ‘artificial intelligence’ and these can be up to 3hrs. Spin only - not available, max spin speed not available to choose on some programmes. Miserly amounts of water drawn with inadequate rinsing etc.

I eventually thought, better the devil you know ( an elderly Miele) with no timer delay and not very good spin drying performance than one of these tune playing lucky dips. It needs a new door seal and that looks like something very easy to do myself.

Our Samsung must be pushing 10 years old, starting to look a little tired but still working ok. Have replaced the pump and door handle/locking mech, both were simple enough to diy (with the help of YouTube vids). I'd probably buy another Samsung if/when the need arises.

Counter-point: just as modern German cars are not any more reliable than any other modern car these days, the same is true with many 'premium' washing machine brands. A 15-year-old machine still running today is great - if only you could buy that machine from 15 years ago today. Most modern premium manufacturers are trading on past glories, just as the 'premium German car brands' still have a perception of reliability that hasn't really been true for 20 years.

Don't just buy the most expensive based on the assumption that a brand that was good a decade or two ago is still good today.

Yes, I’d agree. It’s a bit like ‘past performance isn’t a guide to future returns’. The new place I’ve just moved into has all Siemens appliances (which I’ve had previous bad experience with). The dishwasher takes forever to run a cycle, literally hours, although I can control it with my phone (WTF?!). The dishwasher in the old place was also a Siemens which had a 30 min quick wash, ideal once you’ve rinsed off. I don’t think all this ‘stuff’ is progress really. I’d prefer something simple but well engineered which lasts 25+ years.

The long cycles are to save energy, apparently. Save the planet and all that.

advertisement

Back