advertisement

Linn Sondek LP12 : Purpose built, or not and to what Spec ?

Hmm - this is also appealing. New everything incl. the Lingo 4.

Lets see what my ears hear on Monday …..

OK - so here goes for those who want to know.

First - many thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply add your colour to my question, and even throw in a bit of text jousting with Mr. Pig, whose input I certainly enjoy and valued.

All in all I spent 3.5 very enjoyable hours in the company of Peter (and met his team).

Peter first showed me the three bearings and the different kind of chassis.

Given my budget an early decision was to potentially use my Rega arm, off my Manticore.

I listened to my Manticore first versus a Majik turntable but with a better arm and powered by a Lingo 3. My lovely Manticore was decidedly lifeless and lack lustre.

We then compared the Majik based turntable versus the same spec but with a Kore - and the Kore based unit definitely sounded different tonally - richer, taughter, deeper bass.

Then we compared the same Kore based units : using a Lingo 3 and Lingo 4. Once again , I could hear a difference - everything seemed more effortless, a wider dynamic range in the music ; some expectation basis in that from me of course no doubt.

So in summary, I got the concept of the importance of getting the Karousel bearing , and the best power supply, ie a Lingo 4, but how to fit it into my budget ?

Answer : New LP12 base unit, second hand Lingo 4 (3 month old unit),SH Cirkus chassis, my Rega 250 arm, new Trampoline 2, AT VML540.

The strategy being that if or maybe when I look to upgrade my tonearm, I can change it by only changing the armboard if needed as a minimum, but of course I can upgrade the chassis to a Kore should I want to……

It was quite a close run thing not to buy the SH Linn Sondek with the Lingo 1, Kore, Ittock, Karousel but in the end it was the belief the Lingo 4 would best the Lingo 1 by more ……

Anyway, my LP12 will be with me in two weeks time ……..

That’s great, the next two weeks will drag on forever….

it just shows how worthwhile it is to visit a dealer that can clearly demonstrate the differences between components (I know from experience that Cymbiosis have 20+ LP12’s, so you can do that, but I’m not sure if any other dealers have the same).

Congratulations on your new turntable. Glad you got there.

Other dealers didn't have that back in vinyl's hayday! Frankly, I don't know how Cymbiosis do it but you've won a watch if you're close enough to use them. Almost certainly the best place to buy an LP12 in the UK.

I'm not close, but I do use them, that's why I know they've got a stack of them laid out along one wall of their demo room.

Every potential change to my LP12 I've been able to check out and compare and I've never felt in any way pressured to buy. I find that reassuring and I've owned one since the late 70's (!!!), so for someone new to the t/t, it could be invaluable.

:D:eek:
Other dealers didn't have that back in vinyl's hayday! Frankly, I don't know how Cymbiosis do it but you've won a watch if you're close enough to use them. Almost certainly the best place to buy an LP12 in the UK.

When I looked at getting an LP12 in 1989 my two local Linn dealers had four LP12’s between them. Mind you there wasn’t many options and variations for the LP12 back then!
The one dealer, long gone, let me take one of his decks home for the weekend. He carried it to my car and put it on the passenger seat…without the box or any packaging apart from a bit of polystyrene under the inner platter :(

This has been a great thread, which has had thoughtful and helpful comments all the way through. The author has been helped on his journey and he has made a decision he is very happy with. I am the owner of the second hand LP12 he was considering, which is advertised on Pinkish. It is a great TT and I am very happy to discuss it with anyone who may be interested in purchasing it. If you are please contact me with a message.

I think they mean some older decks will need a new outer platter too.
How old is old? My outer platter is from 1985. Would a Karousel's inner platter fit with it? I have grown up with that platter, we both look a bit worn compared to 1985, but that's life I guess.

How old is old? My outer platter is from 1985. Would a Karousel's inner platter fit with it? I have grown up with that platter, we both look a bit worn compared to 1985, but that's life I guess.
You’d need a dealer to check, the blurb is vague - suggest you ping your LP12 folk or Linn or Cymbiosis

Retro-fittable to any LP12*​

*Please note that Karousel must not be used with Valhalla, Wakonda PSU or third party power supplies that are fitted within the deck. In addition, older outer platters may need to be replaced to fit with current specification inner platter supplied with Karousel bearing.​

It might fit. It's one of those things, you just have to try it as there is a little variation in the size of the hole. However, have you thought about buying a new platter?

The outer platter is a Linn part that is surprisingly affordably, they cost £200. Still too expensive? Well it's the one part of the LP12 Linn have never upgraded or changed so people keep the one they have. Very few on the used market. Result, high used prices! Anything sells for £100, usually more and a tidy one can go for £150. So switching to a brand new platter doesn't cost much at all!

Also, they ship the platters in the lower of the two packing pieces of the LP12 box. They also use the LP12 carton, slitting the corners and folding it down. So if you buy as new platter you get a LP12 box minus the top packing piece! Better than not having a box.

I just bought a brand new platter and I have to say, it's lovely :0)

Also, they ship the platters in the lower of the two packing pieces of the LP12 box. They also use the LP12 carton, slitting the corners and folding it down. So if you buy as new platter you get a LP12 box minus the top packing piece! Better than not having a box.

I just bought a brand new platter and I have to say, it's lovely :0)
That is a top tip - a box is £70-80 quid

I'm still mulling over an LP12 but am veering back to plan A which is an '80s deck as unmolested as possible. The one I have on loan with the Karousel isn't different enough in character from my other decks or ones I've had recently I feel.

I'm still mulling over an LP12 but am veering back to plan A which is an '80s deck as unmolested as possible.

I understand how you feel. I've not heard the Karousel but I feel the deck has progressively moved away from many of the things which made it so funky in the first place. If you hear a very early deck it's eye opening. Might not be as detailed and refined as a later one but boy is it bouncy!

The trick is trying to figure out how to improve on the dated performance but keep the full-fat flavor intact. If you figure that out let me know? :0)

I'm still mulling over an LP12 but am veering back to plan A which is an '80s deck as unmolested as possible. The one I have on loan with the Karousel isn't different enough in character from my other decks or ones I've had recently I feel.
I understand how you feel. I've not heard the Karousel but I feel the deck has progressively moved away from many of the things which made it so funky in the first place. If you hear a very early deck it's eye opening. Might not be as detailed and refined as a later one but boy is it bouncy!

The trick is trying to figure out how to improve on the dated performance but keep the full-fat flavor intact. If you figure that out let me know? :0)

Amber as previously posted on maybe this thread.

I went from a pre cirkus black liner bearing LP12.Had it seviced with suspension reset and new belt - mat and a new AT 95 ML cartridge.
I was absolutely blown away how good it sounded after getting it back from my dealers.
That upper bass bloom was back with a swagger and it really did that PRAT superbly.I think it was about £ 450 all in.A hugely enjoyable deck.

Exposure to this made me get a Karousel - Majik sub chassis and Lingo 4 and Hana ML.

The deck sounds enchanting and its a nice sweet spot as can't see myself spending anymore on upgrades especially at Linn prices.However sometimes I miss that extra PRAT and zest and life of the pre cirkus.

Its a very clean sounding deck now.Much more accurate but a different presentation - smoother and more intergrated.

So if your thinking of an 80's - 90 's LP12 go for it.I am sure you could pick one up less than a grand.

Amber as previously posted on maybe this thread.

I went from a pre cirkus black liner bearing LP12.Had it seviced with suspension reset and new belt - mat and a new AT 95 ML cartridge.
I was absolutely blown away how good it sounded after getting it back from my dealers.
That upper bass bloom was back with a swagger and it really did that PRAT superbly.I think it was about £ 450 all in.A hugely enjoyable deck.

Exposure to this made me get a Karousel - Majik sub chassis and Lingo 4 and Hana ML.

The deck sounds enchanting and its a nice sweet spot as can't see myself spending anymore on upgrades especially at Linn prices.However sometimes I miss that extra PRAT and zest and life of the pre cirkus.

Its a very clean sounding deck now.Much more accurate but a different presentation - smoother and more intergrated.

So if your thinking of an 80's - 90 's LP12 go for it.I am sure you could pick one up less than a grand.
I started off with a plan but as with all things in this hobby found myself sidetracked and the budget/spec escalating. Part of it was learning Audio Origami were no longer servicing the Ittok which was the arm I had in mind, figuring if I got a dodgy one I’d be able to get Johnny to sort it out worst case scenario, so started looking at newer arms/higher specs. Back on track now and will wait for something suitable to pop up mid 80’s ish spec wise.

However sometimes I miss that extra PRAT and zest and life of the pre cirkus.

I'm building a second LP12 with a pre-cirkus bearing. I'll build it fairly vintage but experiment from there. The problem is getting a good pre-cirkus bearing. The one I've bought it usable but not perfect.

Part of it was learning Audio Origami were no longer servicing the Ittok which was the arm I had in mind.

I'd leave those ancient arms to the Linn sheeps anyway. An RB2000/3000 is much nicer and in the same ballpark price wise. No way I'd go back to an Ittok, these Rega arms are lovely.

Dave Watson is now working on LP12s again - out of HiFi Corner in Falkirk

He'd have to drive three hours past Robert Ritchie to get there.Jack Black has put on a bit of weight though eh?

advertisement

Back