advertisement

A Good Read...

Thanks for sharing :) Enjoyed the article and the photos of his listening space.

Also, in that first photo, just how is the vast weight of those shelves shelves on the LHS of the apartment supported?!

Got to love JMH’s enthusiasms. I always remember reading back in the day about him taking the telephone out of the listening room because the speakers in the handset interacted with his hifi speakers.

I see he’s still firing his speakers at the window blinds rather than the listening seat!

I must admit, JMH was one of the main reasons that I stopped buying hi-fi magazines, so I guess I have something to thank him for!

I've always had a lot of time for JMH's experimental approach. I remember the peter Belt stuff and later, Jimmy's fascination with transformer coupling everything together. He was always willing to say 'what if....'
Great fun, just as hifi should be. You don't have to agree with the majority - you can and should find your own way.
Its for this reason that I really cant abide the objectivist/measurists who make such a lot of noise. Do your own thing and let others do theirs. If it sounds better to you, then it is better. I dont care if my brain is easily tricked, I dont give a flying one if my ears can be deceived.

I played my system until late last night.... I chose the pieces with my heart, my ears, my eyes and my intuition..... It sounded frikkin fantastic. Lucky me.

Great article and read.
Loved reading about the golden era of vinyl in the 80's and Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus as loved going in there also.And could spend a hour or two going threw the racks.
Got loads of respect for JMH and always enjoy his hifi reviews and Dave Price who did that article.2 audio reviewer legends.

I respect the freedom of thought he brought. I remember his columns well back in the 1980s and if nothing else he encouraged the reader to think, experiment for themselves and find their own taste. A stance I wholeheartedly approve of. I suspect I’d not like his system at all, but I’d love to hear it and I can respect the decision process that led to such a seemingly odd solution.

The thing that surprised me reading the article was that he listens to pop, rock etc. I always remember him being exclusively classical, but that may just be my memory failing. There is certainly a lot of classical vinyl in the picture. His system almost makes sense from a diffuse omnidirectional kind of classical mid-concert hall perspective, but seems very odd for other forms that tend to be created in a conventional near-field monitoring environment.

PS I spot some Decca DK30 ribbon tweeters in there as well as the Impulse horns. No idea what the other speaker boxes are or if he has everything on at once.

Lovely to see Jimmy in his home environment.

He's been in the Barbican for forty-odd years (I have a vague memory he may have moved to bigger digs within it quite early on).

The thought of actually dismantling and moving that lot must mean he'll only vacate the premises in a wooden box...

INo idea what the other speaker boxes are or if he has everything on at once.

I suspect he may not be entirely sure himself. The system may have taken on a life of its own by now. There's probably a high-pitched squealing sound if he actually disconnects anything.

Great article and read.
Loved reading about the golden era of vinyl in the 80's and Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus as loved going in there also.And could spend a hour or two going threw the racks.
Got loads of respect for JMH and always enjoy his hifi reviews and Dave Price who did that article.2 audio reviewer legends.
Both of them Maggie fans too.

....His system almost makes sense from a diffuse omnidirectional kind of classical mid-concert hall perspective, but seems very odd for other forms that tend to be created in a conventional near-field monitoring environment.
At one point he had a coaxial speaker intended for in car use wired across the front speakers to produce a clearer central image.

I think that the main thing I had against Jimmy, was that he would be so enthusiastic about the latest great mod he'd tried and by the next issue it would be something else again. I have always gone my own way anyway, but there would have been a lot of readers that were influenced by the stuff that he wrote. I remember he had tria-amped Isobariks and at one point he powered them with Krells. I'm amused though, after all that, he now gets his kicks off Spotify of all things!

As I said though, the Belt stuff was a step too far for me, so I gave up on the mags.

advertisement

Back