advertisement

Repairing old Rega Apollo?

GF670

pfm Member
I have an old Rega Apollo CD player (the full width version), which I bought new around 10 to 12 years ago. I remember that it worked reasonably well when I first got it, but became increasingly unreliable over the following year or two and then stopped working altogether. I never got round to having it repaired, and it's been boxed up in the attic ever since.

A few weeks ago I brought it down and powered it up. It goes on, which I guess is a positive sign, but only reads 'Rega Apollo' (or similar) on the screen. It won't play discs.

Given that it's in good cosmetic condition, I'm wondering whether it's viable or even possible to have it repaired?

Phil of Cheshire Audio seems to be a bit of an all things Rega guru. I think it would be worth a phone call to ask what ,if anything, he could help with. watch his Rega repair videos on You Tube....very informative.
Hope this may help. Good Luck.

Using a cotton bud impregnated with isopropyl alcohol very carefully clean the laser lens first before sending it off for repair.

Phil of Cheshire Audio seems to be a bit of an all things Rega guru. I think it would be worth a phone call to ask what ,if anything, he could help with. watch his Rega repair videos on You Tube....very informative.
Hope this may help. Good Luck.
Thanks yes just looked at his YouTube video of replacing an Apollo transport!

Using a cotton bud impregnated with isopropyl alcohol very carefully clean the laser lens first before sending it off for repair.
Thanks though I wonder whether it’s something else wrong with the player as it doesn’t try to read discs or say the door is open etc

I can't remember if the Rega's even announce that the lid is open - but without a disc inserted you should see the laser trying to do something when you close the lid. Best way to confirm tray switch is functional is to wind the laser head away from the spindle with the lid open, then close the lid. You should see laser head move back to spindle before it tries to read TOC. If it does, most likely laser (likely: not definitely - a worn laser should at least attempt reading TOC, not doing so could be a power rail gone or low). If laser head doesn't move, then either lid switch or a power rail.

Note: the replacement lasers have a solder blob as ESD protection - do remember to remove it before fitting the laser :) Last faulty Apollo I bought had exactly this problem - owner replaced laser, it didn't work and he sold it cheaply in frustration. I removed the solder and sold it on for large profit :D

There were some issues with the early versions. Rega very kindly looked at two of these owned by relatives and got them up and running again. I’m sure they will listen to your issues and act on these. I think they have exemplary customer service. Give them a bell.

Phone or email Rega.

I believe its a Rega dealer network you need, not Rega directly.

I had my old Saturn supported last year, spares sourced and fitted by local distributor tech, no need to have the player send into Brexit.

Oh, is the OP in EU?
I wasn’t sure if Rega still supported them hence contact Rega comment. Are official dealers happy to handle Rega product not purchased from them?

Oh, is the OP in EU?
I wasn’t sure if Rega still supported them hence contact Rega comment. Are official dealers happy to handle Rega product not purchased from them?

I have no idea of location.

I'd expect any authorised dealer to be equal helpfull no matter where item purchased.

I believe its a Rega dealer network you need, not Rega directly.

I had my old Saturn supported last year, spares sourced and fitted by local distributor tech, no need to have the player send into Brexit.

Indeed: rega have neither email nor phone on their website!

As your in Wales, as am I I can strongly recommend Acton Audio in Wrexham. They are really helpful. You may find the problem is the lid sensor switch.

advertisement

Back