advertisement

Audiophile aging

The loss of confidence, hell now that is something, it started happening to me in my late fifties, now I'm early 60s. When I was younger I had a few high risk jobs, the diving industry, first the Navy then commercial, I was fearless, absolutely fearless but now all I do is worry about this or that. I guess I must be a bit of a control freak when it comes to aspects of my life and I was always in control but these days it's like a freefall, I haven't got a clue what's going on.

Then physically, I was fit as you like but these days, I've put on weight and ache so much after anything like sustained physical work, sleeping is an issue because of the aches and pains

On top of that and my cataracts my hair went years ago!

I realised I was getting old in my mid-forties when I could not see the scale on a ruler when measuring timber and making loudspeakers. That happened literally overnight. I also happen to be badly myopic (around -9d) and I wore contact lenses for nearly four decades. I could see the stylus extremely clearly close up with my contacts off, but blurry vision at distance is a real bummer.

I've since had Lasik surgery which corrected my dominant eye for distance, and the other for reading (-1.5D). The blended vision seems to work well, but it took my brain about a year to get used to it.

The loss of confidence, hell now that is something, it started happening to me in my late fifties, now I'm early 60s. When I was younger I had a few high risk jobs, the diving industry, first the Navy then commercial, I was fearless, absolutely fearless but now all I do is worry about this or that. I guess I must be a bit of a control freak when it comes to aspects of my life and I was always in control but these days it's like a freefall, I haven't got a clue what's going on.

Then physically, I was fit as you like but these days, I've put on weight and ache so much after anything like sustained physical work, sleeping is an issue because of the aches and pains

On top of that and my cataracts my hair went years ago!
The working life is not good for you physically, if you have a demanding job, lifting heavy things, working in all weathers etc
it's hard on your joints. Good for your fitness, at the time.
An office style working life: Visa versa.

I had the former life. Not outside but the workshop didn't half get cold in the winter!

Now, everything I got aches everytime I get up or walk more than 50 yards or so.

The hair went within a few years of my second marriage! Coincidence? :confused:

I think, rightly or wrongly, that we currently outlive the natural lifespan that we're evolved for.

Andy

I’ve used a 10x hand lens to check the stylus nearly forever.

Like others here I once changed cartridges regularly & fearlessly. Now at 53 I haven’t done so since my late 40s.

Part of it has been waning confidence; part CBF as I’ve been happy with the incumbent. Also, it’s bloody hard to get the stylus assy off without removing the arm!

The P77 thread has me eager to revisit my Garrott/SAS, but damned if I want to fiddle with the pF on my phono stage. Wouldn’t have bothered me to knock up adapters 20 years ago, & I don’t want to buy a set ready made.

I've since had Lasik surgery which corrected my dominant eye for distance, and the other for reading (-1.5D). The blended vision seems to work well, but it took my brain about a year to get used to it.
My previous glasses (progressives) were set up like that & it took me about a year to adapt, too. But I was never truly happy with them.

My current pair are set up in the “usual” way, with the bottom of the lens increased in strength. I find reading much easier now.

For those with a variety of optical afflictions, I gather conjunctivitis.com really is a site for sore eyes.

I've been surprisingly diagnosed as colour blind. This analysis came right out of the green

For those who can't get comfortable in bed; my friend can only sleep on piles of magazines. He's got lots of back issues.

(oldie) boom boom

Also, it’s bloody hard to get the stylus assy off without removing the arm!
It's easier with an ARO. The fiddliest bit is threading the anti-skate weight back on, without breaking it or wrapping itself around its hanger. I don't know if the nylon thread can be any thinner ...

Peering at my SPU stylus through one eye, after several ales, anticipating the tones of Johnny Hodges and Billy Strayhorn, I do wonder how long I’ll be able to keep this up.

Mana forum, Exposure Forum, Old Naim forum.
They’re all long gone along with a few regulars.
PFM is still going strong.
Can’t believe I joined close to twenty years ago.

And we’re still debating the LP12 and its upgrades.
I joined this forum in 2003 and came across from the old forum/software. I had hair then!

PFM is still going strong.
Can’t believe I joined close to twenty years ago.

And we’re still debating the LP12 and its upgrades.
I heard about the LP12 in my late teens, and I suspect it'll still be talked about long after I'm buried with mine.

I believe that I've retained a good level of hearing, but more worrying was finding my car keys in the fridge recently.
Be careful what you say. I commented online last Nov. that I was grateful for my decent hearing and later that same day I suffered Sudden Sensorinearal Hearing Loss in one ear and had to visit A & E. I no longer have good hearing and have been prescribed hearing aids….

advertisement

Back