advertisement

Sorting a failed Naim CD5

rdenney

Good morning! This forum seems to be the home for those who would be able to help me, and I have already benefitted from much reading here. I need some expert assistance on my failed CD player. Help here from Martin, Mike, or Richard was particularly recommended to me on another forum.

My Naim CD5 is the victim of stupidity, at least I think that's what has caused the issue. The stupidity is all mine, of course.

When listening to a CD a couple of months ago for the first time in several weeks, I heard severe crackling in the right earcup of my AKG headphones. After a range of hurried and careless diagnostics, I concluded, I believe wrongly, that the CD player was the source of the difficulty. (The headphones still display the fault and I believe they were the cause all along, though I suppose it is possible they were also an effect. The system without the CD5 and those headphones works correctly.)

Obviously, a CD5 is long out of production and even though I have only owned it a year I know that finding someone to repair it for any reasonable price will be difficult. I live in Virginia in a rural area and there are no repair shops within easy striking distance. Naim's U.S. service provider, to which they directed me, wasn't initially responsive and they do have a reputation for being very expensive. In the UK, I suspect finding service would have been much easier.

But I have some hobbyist experience finding and repairing faults in audio equipment, and have a modest set of test equipment bought mostly for my amateur radio hobby. So, I removed the lid so that I could see if I could trace the audio path with a scope probe find the source of the crackling.

When I powered it up sans lid, however, I noticed immediately that two of the diodes in the bridge rectifier were releasing their magic smoke even as I watched. I immediately switched it off, of course, and thought about it. I'm not a fan of coincidence, so I thought I must have done something in my disassembly to cause the power supply to short out and burn up those two 1N4007 rectifier diodes. The only reasonable guess is Stupid Thing No. 1--that I was tilting the case back to get the parts that interested me into bifocal range, and with the backpanel loose, managed to short the two wires--okay--I have to digress to explain Stupid Thing No. 2. When I bought the unit, I did not buy an external power supply. The seller, a high-end equipment reseller out of New York, had installed (or accepted from who they bought it from) an alternative to the shorting plug that Naim provides for using the internal power supply. They used short lengths of #14 solid-core copper wire bent into a U shape to short the pairs of pins needed to imitate the shorting plug. Of course, that exposes the power being carried by that plug to the outside world without protection. So, back to the story--my best theory is that I managed to short those wires against the chassis when I powered it up without the lid, and that's what burned up the diodes.

I replaced the diodes, and I am able to measure steady DC voltages at places where DC voltages should be, such as the legs of voltage regulators. I have no schematic, so I'm trying to follow traces and look for DC power points. I do not see evidence of having blown a power-supply filter capacitor--without that I would be seeing ripple in that DC. (I'm using an oscilloscope to measure voltages.)

Now, the unit powers up just fine--the display powers up, the buttons work, and so on. But now, the laser unit seems unwilling to confirm focus. The unit gives a CD an initial short spin, almost immediately stops, and does not read the table of contents on the CD. Pressing Play at that point attempts the spin again, stops, and returns an error.

Everything I read about this suggests the laser is unable to focus on the CD. Again, I don't believe in coincidences, and for this to happen at the same instant as blowing two rectifier diodes does not suggest to me a weak laser. Nevertheless, I replaced the laser unit with a typical cheapie Chinese VAM1205 clone, in full recognition that it might not work, but just to see if the behavior changed. It did not--no change to the symptoms.

Without a schematic or service manual, I am at a loss as to where to look or conduct tests. I have confirmed that all the ribbon cables are attached and making contact, and the scope readings of the legs of all the voltage regulators I can find look like smooth DC. But I don't know what the values are supposed to be.

Here's my hope: Someone on this forum will have the expertise and patience to give me a few things to test, will wait for a day or two (depending on work) for me to test it, and then give me the next thing to test based on the results. I'm in no hurry, but I don't want to seem like I am being unresponsive if I have to leave it for a few days--I travel for work and suddenly travel is happening again for me. I will follow through. The resulting thread might be interesting for others and a future resource.

The system in which this unit was operating at the time: downstream--Adcom GFP-565 preamp, B&K Reference 125.2 amplifier, Revel F12 tower speakers. Other sources: Cambridge CXC feeding a Topping E30 DAC, a Yamaha YDP2006 parametric equalizer in the processor loop, a Musical Fidelity DAC for playing from a computer, a Benchmark ADC-1 for recording to the computer, a Thorens TD-166II turntable into the phono section of the preamp, a Nakamichi BX300 cassette deck, and a Teac A4300 open-reel deck. I have in the last month replace the Adcom preamp with a B&K MC-101 Sonata, which has a passive mode I wanted, and also the potential for balanced outputs. And I am always trading out amplifiers for fun, but none of them are any higher-end than the B&K.

For test equipment, I have a Hantek DSO5102P scope (newish, to replace the ancient portable Tektronix scope I was previously fighting), a Tektronix audio signal generator, Tek frequency counter, a Trio solid-state microvoltmeter, and a Fluke DVM.

Thank you for reading this far.

Rick "waiting in hope" Denney

Sorry, not familiar with the cd5, but I believe you should be able to confirm if the laser is working using a mobile phone. DO NOT LOOK STRAIGHT INTO THE LASER!

My CD5 had similar problems (except for the Stupid problems which we've all also had!). Over the period of a couple of years, the player started to balk when trying to read certain CDs. You could hear it spin up but then slow down and "no disc" appear. The problem got worse over time. Then some genius on this forum said I needed a new magnetic clamp which holds the CD in place. New clamp and voila - problem solved! It seems that the CD player tries to spin up the CD much faster than a typical player so, with a poor magnet, the CD slips and can't be read correctly. For $25 it's worth a try. I ordered mine from the UK but you might get one from a Naim dealer like Accent on Music in Mount Kisco NY for two or three times the price.

My CD5 had similar problems (except for the Stupid problems which we've all also had!). Over the period of a couple of years, the player started to balk when trying to read certain CDs. You could hear it spin up but then slow down and "no disc" appear. The problem got worse over time. Then some genius on this forum said I needed a new magnetic clamp which holds the CD in place. New clamp and voila - problem solved! It seems that the CD player tries to spin up the CD much faster than a typical player so, with a poor magnet, the CD slips and can't be read correctly. For $25 it's worth a try. I ordered mine from the UK but you might get one from a Naim dealer like Accent on Music in Mount Kisco NY for two or three times the price.

For a quick check to see if the puck is a problem (although it seems unlikely that this is the OPs case) - Put some THIN double sided tape (like Selotape or Scotch tape) on the hub and try that, stick the most problematic CD you have on it with the puck too and see how that works, generally if the puck is f#$%ed you can hear it slipping anyway.

Thank you. Yes, I had already read about that here. Some time ago I had replaced the puck with the stronger rare-earth magnet puck from a later model, with the same positive effect. It works well but that isn’t the issue here, I don’t think.

Rick “coming to the conclusion that CD sustainability means cheap and disposable rather than quality” Denney

This is a bit beyond me to advise but are you sure all the regulators are working as they should ? There is one LM317 in the transport swing out tray. It is doubly regulated - fed from a LM317 reg on the back panel.

I would then check all caps around the transport chips. The tantalum and electro caps are getting on a bit now and the reg's for the digital side can get fairly hot and warm up the interior. Then I would move on to checking the function of the IC's - there are several in the swing out tray and on the motherboard also.

I would have thought shorting the dc lines would kill a regulator but the link plug only connects the anolgue stage psu to the internal raw supply.

Hello.
Have you repair your CD5?
Because i have the same issue on my own CD5.
First i changed the two burned diodes.
The correct voltage is 9.375V
(Equal to 1.25V x(1+1300/200))
1300ohms and 200ohms are the value of the two resistances.
I replace the VAM1205, no change.
Same ERR after 1/4 spin of the disk.
I don't have the schematic....
Thanks
Frederic

Naim used the Philips chipsets so a player with most of the same components might yield a useful service manual, e.g. https://www.audioservicemanuals.com...cd-910/13370783-philips-cd-910-service-manual
Note I haven't seen a CD5 in years, but by checking your chipset against a list of Philips players with the same DAC you can probably find a useful schematic for the servo board.

Also note that just because you've changed the laser that the "new" one will work either. Having laser light is not the same as then detecting it back again for focus. I stopped servicing these because most of the time they didn't work.

I agree with you.
I have a problem with the focus.
the focus test signal is present at the input of the TDA7073AT but not at the output!.
as the TDA7073AT is powered by 9.35V, I assume that it is dead and that it is the cause of the overheating and the death of the two diodes which power the regulator.
I will change the TDA7073AT.
The mechanics may also have a problem because on the new one the diode laser is more flexible.

Le LEDON signal test is also present during the focus test signal (it is normal. I assume the diode led is in good condition)
Thank you for the CD 910 service manuel.
The failure code seems to be different but the good thing is that we must press two buttons during power on to display test result. But i don't know the signification of the code...

I am in the process of reverse engineering to have a complete schematic.
unfortunately I don't have the PIC program...

the mechanism of the VAM1205 is a simple spring, it may be tired.
the focus and radial coils are not cut (resistances ~ 18ohms).
I must also replaced the motor, the original one is à hall effect motor (same than on naim CDX), the spare one is a classic motor with two command link.

advertisement

Back