advertisement

Budget Hi-fi heaven

So I’m listening to the Beethoven on cassette and I’m thinking why the detractors? It sounds great to me. Do you think we may exaggerate differences just a little and crucify past formats that still sound pretty good really? I used to own a decent Sony Minidisc recorder and I thought the sound was pretty good.
More than thirty years ago, interrailing in Europe (more precisely Brussels, if memory serves), I purchased a Walkman DD Quartz and a some pre-recorded cassettes. Among those were a couple of Haydn's London symphonies (Jochum recordings on DG). I think it was precisely that cassette which made me a Haydn fan.

More than thirty years ago, interrailing in Europe (more precisely Brussels, if memory serves), I purchased a Walkman DD Quartz and a some pre-recorded cassettes. Among those were a couple of Haydn's London symphonies (Jochum recordings on DG). I think it was precisely that cassette which made me a Haydn fan.
I loved Brenel’s survey of the sonatas.

Half term for me now.Time to get on with some projects.So I recently purchased a pair of Mahogany 505.2s from the web. They had a slightly pushed tweeter that I thought I may be able to resurrect.Sadly I was unable to do this as there was some distortion to the sound but I was lucky enough to purchase a pair for £15 to act as donor so very happy. They have metal tweeters which are impossible to source. Just need to replace the tweeter and they’ll be good. I’m on the lookout for an A60 amp though they do fluctuate in price.

I feel LG V40 phone into Klipsch T5M Wired IEMs is formidable, in terms of sheer VFM.

The V40 plays hi-res files natively and the in-built DAC offers filter options (I use minimum phase).

It's amazing such completely portable, good combos exist - I don't feel short-changed musically speaking, when out for the day.

Last edited:
I was just thinking to myself this morning how much I have enjoyed building a good value system that just pleases me. No neuroses about the price I paid or the expectations. Someone accused me of virtue signalling the other day and admittedly I had to look it up. I thought I was just trying to steer a sensible, common sense pathway to musical enjoyment. I realised that expense and branding didn’t necessarily equate to musical satisfaction.

If anyone else has a yen for nostalgia, I have a 4-head TEAC recorder/playback cassette deck and a drawer-full of 70's pop and classical tapes which I'll list in the charity classifieds this week. (The deck will be collection only, from nr Ashford, Kent.)

advertisement

Back