advertisement

New LP12s - Bundle Bargains?

It’s this kind of arrogance that can put people off Linn. What other decks need to be of a modular construction? Perhaps if you get the design / material choices correct in the first place then you don’t need it. What other deck charges over £5K for a power supply - you would hope residuals would be good !

As much as I am fond of an LP12 there are other choices.
And I think this could be the source of much vitriol in the many Linn threads that spring up. There are many other turntables that give the LP12 a good run for less money. And I always think upgrades perhaps betray problems with the original design and prey on neuroses and people’s vulnerability to upgrade paths.

And I think this could be the source of much vitriol in the many Linn threads that spring up. There are many other turntables that give the LP12 a good run for less money. And I always think upgrades perhaps betray problems with the original design and prey on neuroses and people’s vulnerability to upgrade paths.
Appears to me the fact Linn (and Naim, Cyrus to a degree and others - lot's of outfits have external PSU's/Add On boxes) have defined upgrade paths is attractive and seen as a positive by some buyers/owners, it's what attracted me to Naim and meant I knew what came next climbing up the Classic chain a few years back. Whether you buy the next big thing along the path is a personal choice and I for one don't need saving from myself, it's my dosh to spend and I'm not neurotic or vulnerable just paranoid and belligerent apparently :)

Whether Linn have pushed their pricing to an unreasonable level these days and appear to be putting corporate profit well ahead of looking after their existing customer base and offering decent vfm while maintaining reasonable profit levels is open to debate, no idea what the margins are and again nobody is forced to buy an LP12. One thing is evident all HiFi RRP pricing is going up by significant amounts at the moment, some crazy % rises - same in IT Microsoft 365 is getting bumped by 10's of % points think some licences are going up 40% next month.

Appears to me the fact Linn (and Naim, Cyrus to a degree and others - lot's of outfits have external PSU's/Add On boxes) have defined upgrade paths is attractive and seen as a positive by some buyers/owners, it's what attracted me to Naim and meant I knew what came next climbing up the Classic chain a few years back. Whether you buy the next big thing along the path is a personal choice and I for one don't need saving from myself, it's my dosh to spend and I'm not neurotic or vulnerable just paranoid and belligerent apparently :)

Whether Linn have pushed their pricing to an unreasonable level these days and appear to be putting corporate profit well ahead of looking after their existing customer base and offering decent vfm while maintaining reasonable profit levels is open to debate, no idea what the margins are and again nobody is forced to buy an LP12. One thing is evident all HiFi RRP pricing is going up by significant amounts at the moment, some crazy % rises - same in IT Microsoft 365 is getting bumped by 10's of % points think some licences are going up 40% next month.
Wise words as always. Prices are crazy though.

Linn have a prescribed upgrade path, as do Rega. Is majik, akurate & Klimax any more tempting than P1-P10? I suppose the beauty is that you can go second hand & upgrade to a level you desire; £3-4k will get you a great deck that is eminently serviceable.

I wasn’t that impressed with the material value of the P10 when I had a demo recently.

There are many alternatives available so if you feel an LP12 is poor value then buy something else rather than moaning about it.

Last edited:
I suspect theres a lot of Jealously behind much of the carping about crazy prices.

Just because you find something unaffordable doesnt mean that those that choose to purchase are somehow mentally defficient.

For whats its worth I think the Linn Majik LP12 is very good value, as it outperforms more expensive decks like the WTA and P10 , and is lots cheaper.

I quite like the fact you can upgrade any LP12 to whatever spec you want/like/afford, the choice to upgrade is down to the owner not Linn. Fair play to them in making most of these (if not all?) retro fittable in almost any order so you don't need to upgrade in a linear order.

We don't own an LP12 and never have, we're more than happy with the Orbe and have no plans to change any time soon. It does look a bit weird and in comparison to the Linn it's always going to come second aesthetically (or even sonically depending on your preferences etc.), an early LP12 with the fluted plinth is a thing of beauty

Where can I get one at £3-4 please @Woodface :p

Lots of subjective opinion presented as fact is possibly an issue for the more discerning customer.
Certainly was in my experience.

Where can I get one at £3-4 please @Woodface :p

Lots of subjective opinion presented as fact is possibly an issue for the more discerning customer.
Certainly was in my experience.
I did say 2nd hand. Perfectly doable. Mine would probably fetch £2.5k & I prefer it over a P10. Just my view. There are better TTs out there than LP12s, obviously, but once you get to a certain level it becomes a little pointless.

I quite like the fact you can upgrade any LP12 to whatever spec you want/like/afford, the choice to upgrade is down to the owner not Linn. Fair play to them in making most of these (if not all?) retro fittable in almost any order so you don't need to upgrade in a linear order.

We don't own an LP12 and never have, we're more than happy with the Orbe and have no plans to change any time soon. It does look a bit weird and in comparison to the Linn it's always going to come second aesthetically (or even sonically depending on your preferences etc.), an early LP12 with the fluted plinth is a thing of beauty
I’ve always quite liked the Orbe, prefer it aesthetically to the Gyro. No local dealer local to me & vinyl isn’t my primary source anymore so unlikely to change tack now. I think this is the issue, once you have a turntable you like why go on an endless quest?

I like record players, that's why I have five of them; you can have your cake and eat it! I do have an LP12 too; these days it resides in the office system upstairs. Current spec is LP12/Kore/Lingo 1/Valhalla/Audiomods Classic/Metal bodied DL 103. For sure I would consider a Karousel upgrade at some point.

Yeah I know, it was just you forgot to add the K so it reads like 3-4 quid, the first sentence of my post was just a light hearted reply to highlight this;)
The second sentence wasn't in reply to you at all.
Aah sorry, my error & have corrected.

Lucky you! How does that work in practice? Is it likes my bikes, where I have quite a few but all except one have punctures that need fixing?

Downstairs, in the active Kans system, I have:
  • Michell Hydraulic Reference/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2MkII
  • Lenco 88/Zeta/Dynavector DV20XL (hybrid aluminium/slate plinth)
  • Garrard 401/Prefix/Naim Aro/Troika (Goldring rebuild).
  • Stanton ST120/Rega RB202/Rega Carbon (mounted in a wooden plinth, Sorbothane feet). A great deck for playing 7"singles.
All are plugged in and are selectable. I just tend to play whichever I fancy at a time, or in an extended session, I play each LP on a different record player!

The LP12 is in the office system upstairs.

Downstairs, in the active Kans system, I have:
  • Michell Hydraulic Reference/Naim Aro/Dynavector XX2MkII
  • Lenco 88/Zeta/Dynavector DV20XL (hybrid aluminium/slate plinth)
  • Garrard 401/Prefix/Naim Aro/Troika (Goldring rebuild).
  • Stanton ST120/Rega RB202/Rega Carbon (mounted in a wooden plinth, Sorbothane feet). A great deck for playing 7"singles.
All are plugged in and are selectable. I just tend to play whichever I fancy at a time, or in an extended session, I play each LP on a different record player!

The LP12 is in the office system upstairs.
5 TTs in use is a good number, hunting out an LP12 at the moment to make my 4 into 5 :)

Good man! You can never have too many record players IMHO.
Done the whole uber digital thing but it’s a lot like the day job in IT, something really satisfying about getting the whole TT chain setup just so - you need to weigh up and adjust/balance and fine tune the entire playback system, also far more obvious where the £ goes than with streaming.

Yes, I have an Auralic Aries Mini downstairs and a Squeezebox upstairs. I really ought to spend more time with them tbh, because there's a load of good music on the SSD.

advertisement

Back