advertisement

dCS Network Bridge-any reason not to?

I am surprised that one with the HW mod is still for sale.

If I was the owner, I would have just put it back to standard by now, got roughly the same money and then sell on the HW mod separately. Sadly, it wont fit the G2 as I would try to convince the seller to sell me the PSU!
Looks like original psu is not available immediately

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/th...th-£460-hoer-wege-psu-now-£1550.104585/page-2

A last reduction - £1550, net to me of any fees, and this excellent streamer is yours.

For reference, I have heard it next to a Aries G2 (unmodified) in my system and both my friend and I concluded that the Hoer Wege G1 sounded more analogue and smoother sounding than the G2 (which had a little more treble detail but was more fatiguing).

As I have been asked the same question a few times:

I have kept the original PSU but I'm afraid it could only be sent on at a later date. It is buried in a storage lockup half way across the country, but I can send it on in the next few months.​

Looks like original psu is not available immediately

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/th...th-£460-hoer-wege-psu-now-£1550.104585/page-2

A last reduction - £1550, net to me of any fees, and this excellent streamer is yours.

For reference, I have heard it next to a Aries G2 (unmodified) in my system and both my friend and I concluded that the Hoer Wege G1 sounded more analogue and smoother sounding than the G2 (which had a little more treble detail but was more fatiguing).

As I have been asked the same question a few times:

I have kept the original PSU but I'm afraid it could only be sent on at a later date. It is buried in a storage lockup half way across the country, but I can send it on in the next few months.​

Oh ok, but it has been four months since he started selling it, so surely closer to the retrieval!

Agree.
I'm trying to figure what is actually involved because I could put it back to standard if I ever decided to move it on.
But honesty is everything to me so I'd have to declare it had once been modified to a prospective buyer which would probably put them off just as much.
Looks pretty straightforward

4-B1-C046-B-82-F5-4152-B35-F-3-D67272703-C7.jpg

I had the NB. Beautifully made bit of kit, but ultimately it didn’t achieve the functionality originally intended. Specifically there’s hardware to provide WiFi connectivity and USB digital output. Neither were ever enabled via firmware updates so are useless/redundant.

Aside from that, the primary benefits of the NB are for previous generation dCS DACs (Scarlatti, Paganini and Debussy) which have dual-AES inputs and word clock input. The NB is the best possible source for these DACs.

However times have moved on with the performance of more modern DACs with highly effective Phase Locked Loops and USB implementations, which allow for much higher sample rates than the NB could ever support over SPDIF/AES, along with almost complete immunity to jitter.

I found an R-Pi offers just as good performance and greater format compatibility into well-executed USB DACs.

That being said, the dCS Mosaic app is a delight, and the build quality is exquisite. So if you like these things and only want SPDIF, then it’s a great (but expensive) option. Otherwise, it is a bit obsolete, in so far as it’s not very future (or present) proof.

Agree.
I'm trying to figure what is actually involved because I could put it back to standard if I ever decided to move it on.
But honesty is everything to me so I'd have to declare it had once been modified to a prospective buyer which would probably put them off just as much.

I agree - people do similar with modified cars, I.e. revert them to standard.

The installation of the Hoer-Wege board is a case (sic) of opening the case (Torx screws), unplugging connecting cables, unscrewing the whole power board (more Torx) and lifting the board.Then rebuild. The Aries G2.1 has extra steps because of the double casing.

https://hoer-wege.de/produkt/der-hoer-wege-medien-player-auralic-aries-g2-1/

Google translate is your friend.

I agree - people do similar with modified cars, I.e. revert them to standard.

The installation of the Hoer-Wege board is a case (sic) of opening the case (Torx screws), unplugging connecting cables, unscrewing the whole power board (more Torx) and lifting the board.Then rebuild. The Aries G2.1 has extra steps because of the double casing.

https://hoer-wege.de/produkt/der-hoer-wege-medien-player-auralic-aries-g2-1/

Google translate is your friend.

Its a doddle to do.

Yes, does look easy to install and therefore restore to original should I need to.

I will contact the seller.

The Synergistic Research Purple fuse is another tweak that can be applied, giving more bass clarity.
This doesn’t require opening the case, only the fuse holder at the IEC AC socket.

The Synergistic Research Purple fuse is another tweak that can be applied, giving more bass clarity.
This doesn’t require opening the case, only the fuse holder at the IEC AC socket.
Sorry to go off-topic, but, in basic laymans terms - how does changing fuse on any piece of hifi equipment improve the sonic performance?

There are a couple of unmodified Aries G1 on the usual auction site at the moment.

Nobody knows.
- Agreed, and I was a sceptic until putting a SR Purple into firstly my Farad Super 3 5v (for EE8 switch) and secondly into the Aries G2.1.....

The benefits / disbenefits probably depend on the component being "re-fused" - Farad themselves include different fuse options on their ordering page for new Super 3.

There are a couple of unmodified Aries G1 on the usual auction site at the moment.

- Agreed, and I was a sceptic until putting a SR Purple into firstly my Farad Super 3 5v (for EE8 switch) and secondly into the Aries G2.1.....

The benefits / disbenefits probably depend on the component being "re-fused" - Farad themselves include different fuse options on their ordering page for new Super 3.

Thanks.
There are no 'buy it now' ones and I hate bidding on stuff. I always spend loads of effort and then find some idiot is prepared to pay £50 less than the brand new price.

Thanks.
There are no 'buy it now' ones and I hate bidding on stuff. I always spend loads of effort and then find some idiot is prepared to pay £50 less than the brand new price.
If you’re not in a hurry save a search on eBay with an email alert. I find I buy something and then a newer cheaper option appears, it’s like they wait until I push BIN before listing :)

Sorry to push this back to the top of the forum list but ... I have the opportunity to buy a used dCS Network Bridge for £2.9k and consider that this should be a big jump up the audiophile transport ladder ... and it's comforting to think that dCS are digital gurus so the transport should be good.

After listening to the Grimm MU1 I know that transports are important (but I really don't want to spend that much money if I can avoid it!).

I have some reservations about this now being a legacy product but it does what I need it to do ... play music from Qobuz and that's it - I'm after the very best transport I can afford (despite the slight legacy concern).

Anyone own a dCS Bridge here - or - anyone moved on from dCS to a similar priced alternative transport only solution?

I would avoid the dcs unit; the various posts above cover most of the salient reasons. I had one myself for a short while; preferred my Aries G1.

The Auralic Aries G2.1 is much more flexible and 'better' performer.

The G1 isn't far behind.

Auralic has a good app; better than Mosaic, imo.

You should also have a look at a Lumin U1 or U1 mini. The Lumin app is fine.

I would avoid the dcs unit; the various posts above cover most of the salient reasons. I had one myself for a short while; preferred my Aries G1.

The Auralic Aries G2.1 is much more flexible and 'better' performer.

The G1 isn't far behind.

Auralic has a good app; better than Mosaic, imo.

You should also have a look at a Lumin U1 or U1 mini. The Lumin app is fine.

Thanks I did think about flexibility - but all I need is Qobuz with spdif out, and the dCS pretty much has that covered. I wonder if you preferred the G1 for the software over the sound? I'm after unadulterated race tuned sound quality from my transport at the expense of flexibility if that makes sense.

So on sound quality terms alone, how did the dCS disappoint compared to the Aries (if that's how you compared them)?

Thanks I did think about flexibility - but all I need is Qobuz with spdif out, and the dCS pretty much has that covered. I wonder if you preferred the G1 for the software over the sound? I'm after unadulterated race tuned sound quality from my transport at the expense of flexibility if that makes sense.

So on sound quality terms alone, how did the dCS disappoint compared to the Aries (if that's how you compared them)?
Bear in mind comparing Apples to Apples - that MU1 up and downsamples the signal that goes out via AES so you would really be looking at Aries + Sirius. The dCS and Lumin do the same as the MU1. You can always implement re-sampling via software

advertisement

Back