advertisement

Headphones for someone that doesn't like the headphone sound?

I agree that Grado May be a good place to go. I had SR 80i’s a while ago and they were airy and transparent. The build and quality will likely improve in the upper models and I suspect that they may be convince you more.

Only recordings that makes the headphones disappear are made with a
product_detail_x2_desktop_KU-100-Diagonal_Neumann-Dummy-Head_M.png

I read something about this a while back. Apparently in practice the ear shape of the recording head is critical, in that it will only sound right to someone with very similarly shaped ears. Makes it quite impracticable!

I read something about this a while back. Apparently in practice the ear shape of the recording head is critical, in that it will only sound right to someone with very similarly shaped ears. Makes it quite impracticable!
Nitpicking. Have you ever heard a recording made with a head? Oh, my ears are a wee bit different than the head's and it sounds just like ordinary recordings...

Nitpicking. Have you ever heard a recording made with a head? Oh, my ears are a wee bit different than the head's and it sounds just like ordinary recordings...

No, I’ve just read the article. They essentially tried it out with a variety of folk, with very mixed results.

Not sure what you mean by “it sounds just like ordinary recordings”? Do you mean it doesn’t add anything special in your experience?

The only phones I've heard which don't glue the sound into the cranium are both unpleasant for those around you...

Jecklin Floats
Stax
Likewise. But you look a right tit with them on. I had the cheaper Float 2s, but still don't like headphones, although I did buy a pair of Meze Classics in walnut, as they are so comfortable. Haven't used them for a couple of years.

Do you mean it doesn’t add anything special in your experience?
No, I just made a mock quote from a nitpicking audiophile that haven't even experienced the binaural effect.
Such recordings were quite common in the 70s, early 80s, having open Sennheiser headphones were enough to get the effect. And my ears weren't even close to similar. You can actually get a good binaural effect just by using two microphones and a pillow between them. Try it.

Totally agree .. headphone simply cannot reproduce loudspeakers’ sound
And very costly hobby for not so much gain (headphone amp ..etc)
However , if you can find some OPPO PM (no longer made) , they can be really worth
Cheers

Reactions: bob
AKG K1000's or Raal SRHIA which I have both come closest to what you are looking for. The Hifiman HE6 OG or SE V2 planars also come close having some of that tactile and palpable sound quality that you seem to be searching for.

There was no expectation that headphones would or should sound like speakers. Which speakers anyhow?
The Sennheiser 800/Schiit Lyr2 fed by Linn Wakonda sounds stunning. Of course the Sondek/Linto/Lingo2/Trampolin/Karousel/Kore/Krystal all make their considerable contributions.
The headphones keeps our small house quiet for my very tolerant spouse during late night listening.
Otherwise it goes to aktiv LK 85s/Katans on Linn stands and REL B3

I bought SR325e three years ago and love then at £279.

The most unlike headphones I have tried and haven't been desperate to replace them.

Now a quick search sees SR325e are nearly half price because of an updated model released SR325x

https://www.richersounds.com/grado-sr325e.html £149.95

edit .....They may be unavailable above but well worth searching elsewhere if available at close to this price. Sorry... I was going to buy another pair at that price, got excited!!!

If it is crossfeed you are missing, the RME ADI-2 DAC has a crossfeed control. It's purpose is reported to be to merge the channels to make headphones sound more like speakers. I've tried it and it certainly is effective. I'm not a big headphone listener though so i can't say that what it does is an any way "good". Suggests though that headphones themselves might not address the problem,

Thanks for all your suggestions - when's the next Hi-Fi show here in the UK - they usually have a selection of headphones to listen to at some of these events.

I don't usually indulge - but this time round I will.

Ah headphones.
I would like headphones that give me the impression that I listen to speakers, minus room sound.
So the stereo picture should be in front of me, not between my ears.
Does that even exist?

advertisement

Back