advertisement

What is it with hi-fi forums and "not liking rap"?

This too, albeit last century. Once we establish that rap is far wider than what many people stereotype it as being, and may well be a primary influence in stuff they really like, then maybe we can get to the point of wanting to explore the genre further!

I’ll park this here to challenge perceptions as to what rap is/can be this century.

LOL...love that!! And really hope they do some more together, I suspect they could go much further together. But don't know where she is heading.
Kate (Kae) is superb.

I fear this is a reincarnation of the cable threads....
Choice of what I enjoy listening to based on race? Errrr... no.

As the OP I can confidently say (once again) that the thread is not about taste in music or listening choices. Nobody cares (very much) about that. The thread is about the lack of diversity on hi-fi forums and how the actions of some members - inadvertently I mostly imagined before I started the thread - serve to keep it that way by posting needlessly, endlessly and furiously about their hatred of just one particular music genre.

In truth I'm beginning to feel now that there's more racist spite and intent in those efforts than I had originally thought. And now that the pubs are shut I fully expect this thread will be on the receiving end of even more bitter and lengthy rants from lager emboldened bigots.

Let them come. They are making the argument for me.

PS no, racism is not like cables.

As the OP I can confidently say (once again) that the thread is not about taste in music or listening choices. Nobody cares (very much) about that. The thread is about the lack of diversity on hi-fi forums and how the actions of some members - inadvertently I mostly imagined before I started the thread - serve to keep it that way by posting needlessly, endlessly and furiously about their hatred of just one particular music genre.

In truth I'm beginning to feel now that there's more racist spite and intent in those efforts than I had originally thought. And now that the pubs are shut I fully expect this thread will be on the receiving end of even more bitter and lengthy rants from lager emboldened bigots.

Until your rant post I wasn’t aware on here of people “posting needlessly, endlessly and furiously about” any genre of music.
Your position is ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm sorry but I simply don't understand this comment, ISTM that the majority of posts responding to you on this thread represent a very diverse taste of music. I think you'll find there is a shortage of racist bigots here as they tend to get hoofed out PDQ.

It's ok to say you don't like something and for that dislike to be based upon a narrow sampling of same.
I don't need to read all seven(?) fifty shades books cover to cover to express an opinion.
Based upon 2 pages I read in a WH Smith's I can safely say this global literary phenomenon is not to my taste and is in fact Shite, fans will no doubt point out my total ignorance :)

That only works if the something is relatively homogenous, as in your example.

I think you’re tilting at the wrong windmills as far as this forum is concerned. This place is a host of an incredibly wide church of musical tastes and maybe not representative of other HiFi fora that are actually displaying the prejudices you’re ascribing to members here?

I really don’t see any overt racist stuff here, with reference to musical genre, just people who don’t connect with certain genres for whatever reason, for instance, it just doesn’t sound good to them.

I’m not going to accuse you of having an agenda, but you’re doing a very good imitation of someone who has got one.

It's really not about popularity.

If a white person plays jazz today, is there any pressure to respect the black cultural history of the music? I don't think so, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. There are mutterings about it in house and techno, but no serious pressure. But white rappers? They're constantly on thin ice because they and everybody else know that their ties to the culture are most likely tenuous and second hand at best.

Depends how good they are ..... summed up nicely at 1 min 15 seconds

Just like every other genre of music there's good, there's 'bad' or not so good and everything in between, there's stuff that's immensely popular that is critically acclaimed and lots that's considered dross by the critics. There's lots of great music that will never be well known, at least in mainstream society.
I try my best to keep an open mind about all aspects of life but especially the arts, I realise sometimes that although I struggle to enjoy some art, be it in the form of music , visual, film, performance or other I can appreciate the creativity, production, effort and performance.
We don't as individuals have to like everything but I sometimes feel there's an opinionated, overbearing arrogance with some individuals normally fueled by ignorance in the true sense of the word, a lack of understanding.

Can't be bothered ploughing through the whole thread:

I'm 73. My first huge musical influence was Duke Ellington and my second was Ray Charles. For the benefit of the youngsters here.. both were Black. I was I suppose a bit precocious in 'digging' the likes of Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Coleman Hawkins, Sidney Bechet and numerous other Black artists from the age of around 12 years upwards.

I went on to love the whole Motown/Stax/Atlantic etc.. thing, plus loads of original Ska, Rocksteady etc.

I lost interest in 'rock', after early Hendrix and Cream. I found Deep Purple, Sabbath and especially Zeppelin to be largely 'one trick' bands.

Not to labour the point.. most of what followed in the 'popular idiom' left me cold.

I only have one test for music..whether it be classical, pop, blues, R&B, RnB.etc..etc..

Does it move me?

If it does, I'm into it. If it doesn't, no amount of intellectualisation, justification etc., will make it move me... and at my age I really don't have time to waste trying to like stuff thatdoesn't move me.

Generally 'Rap'..whatever it is.. doesn't move me. That's all.

As a final aside. My youngest daughter's partner is black carribean and as far as I can tell..a talented musician. Although I'm polite about it.. his music doesn't do much for me either...:)

I think this comes down to what you listened to/were exposed to during your younger musical-formative years, generally speaking. Some people remain more open than others.
The grey areas of fusion, any mix of styles, is where the interesting stuff lurks.
For example, some rock bands like Faith No More incorporated rap style lyrics and delivery very successfully IMHO.
Most of the rap I hear on the radio is, for me, just boring, factory produced twaddle but when someone with actual talent starts writing it becomes more interesting. Eminem has produced many a very listenable ditty, for me at least.
The fact that the style is so extremely popular makes it valid so just say no thanks when you are offered some you don't like.

advertisement

Back