advertisement

Japan

I had an imaginary argument with Sylvian whilst walking in the Lake District a couple of years ago. He's often quoted as disavowing all of the Japan back catalogue aside from Ghosts, and I was trying to persuade him of the genius of 'Swing', with its multi-layered rhythms and alluringly opaque textures. He wouldn't have it though, at least in my imaginary dialogue. I'd like to think one day I'll chat to him in person and persuade him how great Japan were.

I love Gentlemen Take Polaroids, such an evocative album. ‘Swing’ is a great song. Definitely spinning that tomorrow.

Count me in, love Japan. QL is my fave too. Tony, I find Obscure Alternatives a bit weak, really just a writer who hasn't quite found his best work, but worth a listen.

I have said this on PFM before, but Japan was my first ever gig, October 82 at the Dome. Me and a mate indulged in some rather ill-advised hair dye and clothes from the back of your mum's wardrobe, desperate to be seen as Brighton's answer to DS. Hey, I was 15, I thought I looked cool! Still love 'em now (the band, not mum's clothes).

advertisement

Back