advertisement

Dead Can Dance

Fuller

pfm Member
Back in 1993 I bought an album by a group called Dead Can Dance and must admit I probably listened to it a couple of times and filed it away.
It’s called “Into the Labyrinth.” To be honest I know next to nothing about the group.
Anyway I just cleaned it on my RCM and played it. What a nice surprise, not only have I enjoyed all four sides and it sounds stellar, but on Discogs it goes for silly money! Suppose their weren’t that many vinyl pressings in the early/mid 1990’s. Certainly HiFi demo quality.
Any fans of Dead Can Dance in PFM land?

They played DCD quite a bit both years I was in the Definitive Audio / Living Voice room at Munich. It came over really well on their systems.

You should be trying the other DCD albums as well as the solo discs by Lisa Gerrard. I first got into DCD via Lisa's The Mirror Pool solo album (purchased by mistake, I might add).

DCD is probably Australias greatest musical export but oddly, they are not that well known in their homeland. If you enjoyed Into the Labrinth then you must get Spiritchaser, the album to follow. Then start working backward through their catalogue, they're all fantastic and move through slightly different musical themes. For anyone with an SACD player, the MoFi SACD releases are first class.

Good shout... I've been checking them out on YouTube... and I'm liking it a lot. Didn't know Lisa Gerrard was in this band... She has an interesting voice. Cheers!

They're great and I don't listen to them enough. Funnily enough though my favourite song by them is probably the least DCD one:

Got given a cd copy by a drummer friend yonks ago, must dig out as don’t think I’ve ever played it.

I too have been recently introduced to DCD. Found that a lot of high end HiFi brands use them to demo their equipment at HiFi shows (that's were I heard them first and was so impressed by the recording quality I bought some of their music)
Not to every ones taste though ( my wife hates them):rolleyes:

I was a big fan right from their first records.. I rarely listen to them now and don't rate anything after 'Into the Labyrinth'. Brendan Perry is a complete lunatic with an arrogance and hubris that belies a lack of any real talent now IMHO of course.

I had tickets to see them a few years back back but I gave them away after Perry had a meltdown on his then forum and revealed just what a 5 star twat he was.

Lisa Gerrard has an incredible gift though it doesn't stand up to prolonged listening now for me.

Maybe I am just grumpy.

Big fan, especially of the live album, "Toward the Within".

I also have Brendan Perry's "Eye of the Hunter", which I love, and "Immortal Memory" by Lisa Gerrard and Patrick Cassidy, which I don't really care for much.

advertisement

Back