advertisement

Beewax Polish on Harbeth (or any other speakers)

ryder

pfm Member
I was just wondering if there is anyone who has used Beeswax polish on Harbeth speakers with success. I've never tried anything on the wood veneer before this but thought they are looking a bit dry lately. I thought my older SHL5s had a more luscious shine to it in comparison to the current + which looked a bit pale or stale.

What is the recommended frequency of application for those who have tried? What about speakers where the wood veneer comes with a luscious shine as standard? In other words, speakers which already look good with a good shiny veneer. Is it necessary to apply Beeswax or similar polish to the wood finish to maintain the condition or shine of the wood?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
My experience with beeswax polish on speakers is straight on to bare veneer. Beeswax gave a lovely low gloss sheen but since it was unsealed it dulls down. It can be perked up with a rub down on occasion and I have avoided reapplication so as to avoid buildup. I would be very wary of applying it to pre finished speakers. Is there an inconspicuous area for testing?

Please find below from Harbeth regarding care of speaker finish:

Looking after your new Harbeths
To maintain your speakers, occasionally wipe over the wood with a slightly damp cloth rinsed in a dilute detergent suitable for wood veneer. Please avoid direct sunlight, radiators, draught, smoke, ozone and other chemicals on or near the cabinets.

I would therefore avoid using anything else for time being and suggest you contact Harbeth if the “Original sheen” cannot be restored by adhering to their advice as above.

It has to be said that veneer finishes , just like any wood finish, may naturally dull or fade over time .

Last edited:
I use Renaissance wax and wood silk furniture poilsh both spairingly to avoid build up.
Think of as a cleaner rather than a polish to build up the surface finnish, spray on to a cloth and wipe.

And NO Mr Sheen or any other silicone polishes.

Pete

I've only ever used a soft cloth on my speakers, they're not Harbeth though nor are they veneered, solid walnut and leather.

Personally.. wax is a last solution with wirewool on a broken or very tired finish. If your speakers are still in a tip top condition, then warm water with a little detergent, and only a lightly damp cloth is all they should need, with a regular clean microfibre cloth for general dusting.

...To maintain your speakers, occasionally wipe over the wood with a slightly damp cloth rinsed in a dilute detergent suitable for wood veneer. ...

Can't say I've ever seen a detergent label that claims "suitable for wood veneer".

Damp cloth only, wax can lift veneers over time, possibly saturate mfd and damp sound of speakers. Been told by several distributors that less is best.
Wax only really good on solid wood.
Diff chippies I’ve spoken to give diff advice, couple recommended a very little light mineral oil one a year, then just use a damp cloth one a month.

Can't say I've ever seen a detergent label that claims "suitable for wood veneer".
Neither have I.

I find the idea of wiping my Harbeths or any other speaker cabs with diluted detergent totally counterintuitive and won't be trying it anytime soon. I give mine a very occasional - about once a year - buffing with a duster very lightly dampened with some Lord Sheraton spray wax and that's it. They look fine to me.

I have Harbeth P3ES-2s, about 15 years old now. The model just prior to the Radial driver being incorporated into the smallest Harbeth. They are in cherry finish. The cabinets and veneer nicely done, but to my taste the finish looked rather dry when new. I note that the manufacturer did not recommend use of polish; nonetheless I rubbed in a light coat of Clapham’s Beeswax polish, which has a light creamy texture, much like a skin lotion. I have been very happy with the result ever since. The veneer took on a pleasing soft lustre in a very slightly darker amber/honey tone. Not radically different in colour or tone, but certainly richer.

The veneer still responds nicely to being wiped occasionally with a slightly damp soft cloth. Again, with the disclaimer that the manufacturer warns against polishes for fear of clogging the pores of the wood etc - but I see no ill effect years later.

Clapham’s is manufactured in Canada; I don’t know whether this or similar products are at hand in Britain. I personally would not have experimented with an oil or heavy waxy-textured product. YMMV etc.

I’d love to share a picture, just as soon as I set aside a day or two for frustration as I try to figure out how to implement the Reference section instructions, locate a friendly Host site and so on. The polishing was much easier….

Aren't most speakers finished with some kind of polyurethane? In which case, that's a final finish.

Yes, they are. Any kind of surface treatment that you would use on bare wood is wasted on a polyurethane finish (I would say 100% of modern speakers) and will just sit on top of the factory finish to no avail. Some other manufacturers recommend Pledge - "wipe on, wipe off"!

Most speaker manufactuers these days put a light 'clear coat' on their veneers so you shouldn't really put any wood treatment on them.

Harbeth is like this. Stirling, OTOH, takes well to something like Howards Wax.

Yes, they are. Any kind of surface treatment that you would use on bare wood is wasted on a polyurethane finish (I would say 100% of modern speakers) and will just sit on top of the factory finish to no avail. Some other manufacturers recommend Pledge - "wipe on, wipe off"!

I’ve had other speakers that obviously had a polyurethane finish. My 15 year-old Harbeths certainly did not, or they would not have soaked up the beeswax-based polish as they did. I’ve seen other wood veneer speaker cabinets in the BBC style that certainly don’t show the obvious hard gloss of polyurethane.

advertisement

Back