advertisement

Drawn to a sugden

Commendable, and just think; just don't turn it on a few times when you normally would and you're back to green again ! :D Actually, 180 watts ain't bad for a class A amp.

In case that sounds smug - it’s all poverty induced! And probably related to an addiction to hifi!

To the OP...

I'd say the Sugden A21 is an excellent amp, and definitely an amp you should try.

It has cured my constant box swapping and since owning my A21 Signature I've not bought or listened to another amp in my front room. I've had it nearly a year now. I have no desire to change it, this amp is going nowhere.

Unlike other kit I've owned, you forget about the kit, you are too busy toe tapping and head bobbing and then hours later and you are still listening to tunes. Quite special.

I have mine paired with Harbeth M30's (86db) which can go plenty loud enough. 23w does not sound much, but my ears would give up before the Sugden did.

If you get a chance to have a listen to one, do it. They are really great amps.

Croft anytime. Sugden great tone but snooze fest compared to Croft or Naim IMO. But I like their DAC-4 very much.
I know we’ve talked about it before and have a difference of opinion but I have never felt Sugden are a snooze fest, quite the opposite with the 21 SE. I’ve owned Naim but not Croft so I can’t comment on his amplifiers.

Forget about Class G - I'm going to knock on Sugden's Class A door and see what comes about. I especially like Amormusic's response above - thanks !!!

I've been using a First Watt amplifier for the last 10 months or so. If a Sugden has a similar sound I would highly recommend arranging to listen one - I'm sure it's better value for money considering the lack of components in mine ;)

f7.jpg

Thanks for the quick answer - I know it can be subjective - but good to get that response anyway.

I’ve owned the Croft Integrated and Croft 25R/7 pre/power along with a number of Sugden amps - I currently have the A21a Signature.

I prefer the Sugden on virtually every level - I found the Croft a little lacking in substance and in the systems I’ve used them in unrelenting at times. I can see how the more direct sound of the Croft can be appealing but over a longer period I struggled to enjoy them.

The A21 is a better rounded amplifier for me with more subtlety and emotion - especially with the Proacs. As has been said it is the kind of amp that makes you forget about the system and just enjoy the music.

I heard both in an A/B comparison and liked both performances.
The Croft was a bit more relaxed and had a creamy smooth quality to it.
Very nice to listen to and I would have missed nothing basicly.

The little Sugden integrated surprised me..and only then I realized how much more details
it brought out.
I understand there is preferances for both types of presentation..
what you like and how you want to enjoy your music.
For my way of listening to music the Sugden had the edge in the end.
Which was a little surprise to me as I had expected to prefer the Cofts being seperates,
which I had subconsciously connected with greater competence.

The Crofts were very good, but the small Sugden was incredible.

I ran the Sugden with LS50’s. I want to hear it again with my current speakers. I have inquired in to it’s current availability here. My Croft will not ever be sold while I’m kicking. That said I’m retiring in 6 months, why not have another competent amp from a venerable UK company.

I ran the Sugden with LS50’s. I want to hear it again with my current speakers. I have inquired in to it’s current availability here. My Croft will not ever be sold while I’m kicking. That said I’m retiring in 6 months, why not have another competent amp from a venerable UK company.

What speakers do you have now?

Whilst I love the Sugden I do appreciate it’s about system matching.

Thirty years ago or so I had an extensive home trial of a Sugden a21(black with a big orange button), a Sugden Stemfoort SF (60 I think) and a pair of Shahinian Compasses.

Unfortunately I refused to believe my ears and instead followed the reviews and recommendations of the various trade mags of the time.

I still regret my decisions today. In fact does anyone have a Stemfoort for sale?

advertisement

Back