advertisement

Rega Brio

nbaptista

pfm Member
I bought today a Rega Brio 2017 second hand and I´m selling my Densen B 110. I´m waiting for the Rega delivery, the Densen was 17 years old and I thought it was the right time to sell it. Will the Brio outperform the Densen as is a more recent model, or no?The other advantage of the Brio is the integrated phono MM so I can sell my other Rega Fono MK3 ;)

I heard an older Brio and thought it was ok. But I have fonder memories of the Densen (I used to have one with the chrome knobs).

As you’ll have both in situ, it’ll be easy to compare!

Rega Brio 2017 is great, it has phono stage and headphone socket embedded and remote control, but Densen B 110 is SO beautiful.....

I bought today a Rega Brio 2017 second hand and I´m selling my Densen B 110. I´m waiting for the Rega delivery, the Densen was 17 years old and I thought it was the right time to sell it. Will the Brio outperform the Densen as is a more recent model, or no?The other advantage of the Brio is the integrated phono MM so I can sell my other Rega Fono MK3 ;)

Good question, what's your remaining setup ?

Epos M15 speakers, Rega Planar 2, Apollo / Rega Dac.

Ah yes, have seen your postings before where you mentioned your kit.

Not really familiar with M15, I had M12 at some point but clearly preferred the original ES much better.

Your other Rega kit (well maybe the Carbon could need an upgrade) is a natural partner to a Brio, which is a splendid amp IMO.
When I used it, it was with Royd or Rega loudspeakers,(in small to medium room) both speakers an easy load, efficient around 90DB.

Interested to hear your findings.

:)Quote from Stereophile's review of the Brio:
„Bateman used LPs and CDs to voice the new Brio. His CDs included Hawkwind's In Search of Space (One Way CDLL-57474), Stevie Wonder's Innervisions (Tamla MCD09052MD), Joan Armatrading's Willow (Spectrum Music 5302771), and "various '70s glam-rock tracks." His LPs included an unidentified AC/DC album, along with Elton John's Madman Across the Water (UNI ?93120) and Queen's Sheer Heart Attack (Elektra ?7E-1026). The vintage system he assembled for this process comprised Rega's Planar 5 turntable, Rega Exact and Ortofon 2M Red cartridges, and KEF Concerto minimonitor speakers. Old school!“

So you can imagine where the journey is going :):cool:

I miss my densen beat. The densen is prob the better amp but then I’ve never heard a brio which is supposed to fab too. You’ll miss those giant knobs!!!

I The densen is prob the better amp but then I’ve never heard a brio which is supposed to fab too.
Yep, probably the Densen is the better amp as is more expensive but the Brio might be funnier. Let´s see, tomorrow I´m getting the Brio.

I’m sure the Densen is a superior amplifier.
They go well with Dynaudio’s.

I'd remember the Beat 100 as a good amp, never heard a 110.

A Brio is pleasing to ear,
quite soft, not the last word but involving like few.
The Epos 15 could be a culprit.

I'd remember the Beat 100 as a good amp, never heard a 110.

A Brio is pleasing to ear,
quite soft, not the last word but involving like few.
The Epos 15 could be a culprit.
I tried some epos epic 5 speakers back in the day.
Wasn’t very impressed.

The Brio-R I have owned wasn't the most refined but so involving, fun and with such great timing and drive I much preferred it over a 5.000€ German amplifier from a (in Germany) well known brand. With the German one I stoped listening after 1-2 hours because I have many recordings which were not that great but with the Brio-R I listend for another 5-6 hours. It is a absolut bargain in my opinion especially if you consider that it has a phono stage on board.

The Brio-R I have owned wasn't the most refined but so involving, fun and with such great timing and drive I much preferred it over a 5.000€ German amplifier from a (in Germany) well known brand. With the German one I stoped listening after 1-2 hours because I have many recordings which were not that great but with the Brio-R I listend for another 5-6 hours. It is a absolut bargain in my opinion especially if you consider that it has a phono stage on board.

I really miss my Brio-R. Why did I part wih it??

The Brio is playing right now. It is more involving than the Densen, The Densen is more "Hi-Fi", but I prefer the Prat of the Brio. It remenbers me the pace of Naim amplifiers, but more musical. And it plays well with the Epos, no brighteness anymore!

Thats good to hear !
Is this experience with a standard Carbon cartridge ?

You can probably sell the Densen for more than you paid for Brio.

No worries, the later Brio and IO are better

I replaced my Brio-R (which I liked a lot) with the latest Brio - and I also think it is better :) They are fun, engaging and non-fatiguing to listen to. Thats about as far I go with sonic descriptions of kit, cos it’s basically all about all I care about!

advertisement

Back