advertisement

Dedicated Mains

Then there are balanced mains transformers without the 'audio magic' label attached which are not expensive.

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps2020

I'm surprised someone has not applied the audio magic label to the 100 Amp incoming fuse. I could get some silver plated and put a directional sticker on, £ 250 each anyone ?
£ 400 for a purple one.

Properly engineered kit does not need a 'special' supply. Hi-Fi engineers who know what they are doing use a high PSRR, and filter internally.
I've just had a quick look at your link - they seem well worth looking into. Thank you too!

Running in a dedicated supply to the music room will involve about 20m outside that could be run in trunking that was fixed to the soffit. I don't know enough but hopefully it doesn't need to be armoured. Floors can't be lifted to allow cable to run underneath.

From the above, I assume that your music room and the incoming are at opposite ends of your house; presumably a bungalow unless it drops down at each end.. This is different! It needs an electrician to determine if T & E in plastic (?) trunking for that distance is viable/within reg's but it does make trying other bits 'n' bobs first sound sensible. Not sure though, why you feel you need to add anything if it sounds good and there's no interference. Adding a mains conditioner (or whatever) is unlikely to improve anything unless the supply is substandard; quite possibly make it worse i.m.o.

From the above, I assume that your music room and the incoming are at opposite ends of your house; presumably a bungalow unless it drops down at each end.. This is different! It needs an electrician to determine if T & E in plastic (?) trunking for that distance is viable/within reg's but it does make trying other bits 'n' bobs first sound sensible. Not sure though, why you feel you need to add anything if it sounds good and there's no interference. Adding a mains conditioner (or whatever) is unlikely to improve anything unless the supply is substandard; quite possibly make it worse i.m.o.
You are right, opposite sides of the house. As for why, just because I've no idea if I'm missing anything and I've no idea if the supply is substandard. About all I do know is that the stereo is on a ring that supplies all the downstairs aside from the kitchen, and that there is that ever-present itch of 'I wonder what'
However your reply is potentially good news for my wallet although I may try something returnable...

Having a dedicated mains line is definitely the best of the three options. It does isolates the system from much of the noise from the rest of your house, while not getting in the way of current flow. I've got a dedicated mains line in my office, and it definitely is the best sounding spot in the house.

A power regenerator is a good thing, except I've found that it can't supply the current requested by my power amps when percussive/bass transients hit. Consequently, I have my turntable, streamer, and DAC/Pre connected to different zones of a PS Audio P5, plugged into a regular socket. The power amps are plugged into the dedicated mains socket to get the needed juice.

I should note that I also tried the P5 regenerator up in the family room, and I found the same issue with the power amps. Even without a dedicated mains line there, I still don't like the power amps plugged into the P5.

Of the three, a power conditioner is the least useful. It probably helps if you have a noisy mains feed affecting some of your gear, but it's going to choke the current needed by the power amp.

Last edited:
My new toy arriving this week.

Capture.png

The kit kills mains noise not some new twin and earth mains cable or a circuit breaker.

A Microvolt (uV) is one millionth of a single Volt.

https://www.keystagewiki.com/index.php/Microvolt#:~:text=Microvolts (µV) are a unit,the SI Unit; the Volt.

Noise on the mains is called Ripple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)

If mains noise/Ripple could be eliminated by a simple piece of 'new' wire, someone might have said so by now. It's not like science doesn't know it exists.

I first gave a separate incoming power to the hi-fi from the electric clock.On the switch board is an ahp Klangmodule III G.From there, a titanex 3x4mm copper cable goes to the hi-fi system.Everything has become much more dynamic and detailed.

Some science regarding 'power conditioners' if anyone is interested.

So no wonder that in test after test, we find no difference in quality of AC mains, or output of audio device tested.

Why do people attribute better fidelity to these devices? Simple: lay intuition says "filtering" removes noise. So they pay more attention to what is playing and "hear more into the music" with the AC conditioner in the path. And report veils removed, noise floor going down, blacker backgrounds, etc. This happens even if I gave them an empty box but told them it is a power conditioner.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...evo3-aquarius-power-conditioner-review.30223/

Maybe someone could send Amir a roll of mains cable and he could test it to see what difference it makes ?

Some science regarding 'power conditioners' if anyone is interested.

While not defending or otherwise the component under test (or indeed any mains-related device), that write-up tested the device under specific conditions where the electrical noise generated by other components (fridges, dimmer switches, ethernet networks, what-have-you) may or may not have been controlled or even been present. Perhaps the perceived improvements may have materialised in a more representative domestic environment? Plus the tests were perfomed in an electrical environment as used by our rebelious colonial friends - so 60Hz and 120v - and again not the same as in other countries so the results may (or indeed should) be different (for better or worse - or just different). So science maybe but incomplete and unrepresentative all the same.

:rolleyes::).

So science can create the James Webb telescope, where audiophiles can argue that it might be better if science had not been involved.
There might be things in space that science cannot yet explain.

The whole point of the JW telescope.. and the whole point of Amir having a £ 20.000 Audio Precision testing rig.
Both providing evidence that the world is not flat.

Both providing evidence that the world is not flat.

Looking at the global political situation at the mo' (incl. here), climatic event increases, indebtedness and viral pandemics, I'd be inclined to call the world by another adjective beginning with F but with 6 letters.

where audiophiles can argue that it might be better if science had not been involved

That is not what I was saying at all.

I am a research scientist and work in a laboratory, including with highly sensitive equipment that needs clean and stable power supplies. If I choose so to do I can selectively apply tests and manage conditions so that I can get one result or another. Amir may have a £££ testing rig but unless he tests a wide range of conditions and gets consistent and repeatable results across a broad spectrum of variables he will not have proven anything. His null hypothesis that there is no measurable difference caused by the equipment under test may well correct, but that write up is not fit for peer review because he seems to have only measured things under conditions that supported the hypothesis.

I have had a dedicated mains supply for my system for about 30 years now. Whether it is needed these days with mains conditioners is something I do wonder about. As I am about to move, I expect I will get something along the lines of a Musicworks mains block rather than having a dedicated mains supply put in.

I have had a dedicated mains supply for my system for about 30 years now. Whether it is needed these days with mains conditioners is something I do wonder about.

Two totally different things with different uses, to my mind. A dedicated (presumably radial) supply should simply avoid any domestic interference etc. whereas a conditioner will attempt (!) to ameliorate any domestic ring bogies at the risk of affecting dynamics (a.k.a. s.q.). Depending on your kit and the ease of installing another radial circuit or more in your new place, I wouldn't throw out the dedication in favour of 'aftermarket' treatment.

If your new place has been recently (<15/20 years) rewired, you may not need or want to do anything.

That is not what I was saying at all.

I am a research scientist and work in a laboratory, including with highly sensitive equipment that needs clean and stable power supplies. If I choose so to do I can selectively apply tests and manage conditions so that I can get one result or another. Amir may have a £££ testing rig but unless he tests a wide range of conditions and gets consistent and repeatable results across a broad spectrum of variables he will not have proven anything. His null hypothesis that there is no measurable difference caused by the equipment under test may well correct, but that write up is not fit for peer review because he seems to have only measured things under conditions that supported the hypothesis.

If only he connected his Audio Precision analyser with a dedicated audio mains lead ?
Imagine - the results he may have achieved.

Do you use £ 500 mains leads with your equipment at work ?

Have you data you can show to prove the benefits ?

Hi Ice, @paulbysea

I've read many great things about the orange mains fuses, perhaps you could give some insight as to which are considered better, the orange or the purple ones.

In the James May telescope for example which are considered able to give a greater insight into the formation of our Universe, is it the orange or the purple ones ?

Does NASA/ESA have a preferred supplier for their mains cables and fuses, if so who is it ?

I can't wait to connect my audio to such esteemed products, which do you prefer ?
Though obviously as a leading edge scientist, preference is overruled by performance.

Though maybe your ears tell a different story. :rolleyes:

I am a research scientist and work in a laboratory, including with highly sensitive equipment that needs clean and stable power supplies.

How much Ripple is acceptable in your power supplies, more to the point how do you achieve this.

Do you run dedicated mains supplies from your CU ?
Or does your equipment use DC as audio and use LDO filters to achieve a high PSRR ?
As all well engineered audio devices do ?

What PSSR do you insist upon for your cutting edge scientific equipment, and what Ripple do you have on power supplies as a result ?

I tried every colour synergistic fuse, they defo have a effect but I found them to be equivalent of hitting the loudness button on a seventies Jap amp.
Unsubtle and eventually too much noise.
If you are curious about fuses Akiko sell some internal types for a tenner, I find they enhance rather than transform. Worth a pop.

advertisement

Back