advertisement

Cost of Living Up 5% (or actually a lot more? )

Also, what people fund it with is not either/or, it's both. You want to think that it's all driven by debt, so you'll pluck out statistics to support this. I believe people generally now have more disposable income than they did 20 years ago, hence my ability to find better and better used cars for loose change. I also believe that the availability of cheap credit makes it easier to buy new rather than repair old. None of these observation s exist in a vacuum, they feed off one another. The truth is that a number of things are happening all at the same time, and what drives one consumer may not drive another.

What’s that got to do with the topic of this thread? Are you saying that an inflation rise is a good thing? Good for the environment?

The point of this thread is that people see inflation as a threat to their increasing standard of living (greater landfill ?).

Buddhism ( a philosophy, not a religion) is based upon contentedness not the continued striving for happiness (read, retail therapy).

As someone showed above 'wage growth' has declined over the last few years (outrage?) but failed to point out that as the CPI plummeted over the same time frame so that 'living standards' rocketed in real terms.

51840980052_625603691a.jpg

Though they need to pay $ 5000 minimum for each person in annual healthcare costs.
Source their own pension, etc, etc, etc,.

But look at how high the wages are :eek:

The point of this thread is that people see inflation as a threat to their increasing standard of living (greater landfill ?).
I don’t think people posting on this thread are expressing a concern about their capacity to purchase landfill. The cost of living rise will have a very real impact on many peoples lives than your comment suggests.

Buddhism ( a philosophy, not a religion) is based upon contentedness not the continued striving for happiness (read, retail therapy).
What has Buddhism got to do with a cost of living increase?
As someone showed above 'wage growth' has declined over the last few years (outrage?) but failed to point out that as the CPI plummeted over the same time frame so that 'living standards' rocketed in real terms.

How can a declining wage also be an indicator of a high wage economy? The two would appear to be mutually exclusive? The only time since 2008 that Wage growth has been above CPI was between 2014 and 2016. I’ve not seen any evidence that living standards have rocketed in the last few years, rather the opposite (https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/the-living-standards-audit-2020/)

Not at all sure what your argument is, but if it’s that an economic model based on consumerism is a bad thing, then I very much agree.

Also, what people fund it with is not either/or, it's both. You want to think that it's all driven by debt, so you'll pluck out statistics to support this. I believe people generally now have more disposable income than they did 20 years ago, hence my ability to find better and better used cars for loose change. I also believe that the availability of cheap credit makes it easier to buy new rather than repair old. None of these observation s exist in a vacuum, they feed off one another. The truth is that a number of things are happening all at the same time, and what drives one consumer may not drive another.

The reason that U.K. second hand cars are dirt cheap is because they are less likely to be shipped to former Comecon countries because they are right hand drive, young people cannot afford the insurance on a large engined saloon in the U.K. so it depresses the price.

The reason that U.K. second hand cars are dirt cheap is because they are less likely to be shipped to former Comecon countries because they are right hand drive, young people cannot afford the insurance on a large engined saloon in the U.K. so it depresses the price.
Partly, yes. Also rising standards of living, and expectations. I'm not talking only about large saloons, the same is true of Focus, Astra, and many other ordinary cars. I've lived in France, they have no "car culture" or year indicator so they keep them for years . Used cars there have a huge value, not because of export but because of low availability of new and nearly new cars. Not so in the UK, in normal non covid times at least.

So just like Brexit then ?

Labour say that people are £1,600 worse off. That tax and benefit changes have cost people £1,100 a year, and that living standards have fallen for 5 years.

The Conservatives beg to differ. They say that living standards are higher than they were and that wages are growing. So what's actually happening?

https://fullfact.org/economy/whats-happened-living-standards/

Maybe we should have a referendum ? :mad:

To decide who's lies are the biggest lies and produced by whom. o_O

I would suggest you look more closely at your graph, it shows wages grew higher between 2001-2008 and 2014 -2017 than CPI therefore the 'standard of living' grew higher for 10 years out of your graphs 16 year showing.

Your graph that you posted.
Maybe you should look at the context in which it was posted.

As I posted above Re. the USA, 'high wages' mean nothing out of context.

Much like your graph showing higher wages over CPI for 10 years out of 17 maybe ?

advertisement

Back