advertisement

Anybody running a McLaren 650/570?

This is true

Definitely not been my experience of driving Elise’s on many trips into Europe. 80mph is still refined and I always found it better with the roof off. Newer ones are also more refined, my last one was a S3 Elise S220.

I’m still proud of my 147mph in a k series S1 Elise returning back via Germany a few years ago - roof off of course!

Yeah, I haven't had the chance to try an Evora.

Had a go in my mates 4cyl Exige S2. I think I'd need to try the V6 as that engine didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Jesus they know how to rattle too and on a long journey hmmm....I'm sure you can do it but would you look forward to long motorway sections?

Yeah, I haven't had the chance to try an Evora.

Had a go in my mates 4cyl Exige S2. I think I'd need to try the V6 as that engine didn't leave a lasting impression on me. Jesus they know how to rattle too and on a long journey hmmm....I'm sure you can do it but would you look forward to long motorway sections?

The S2 Exige S is fantastic, if a n/a you might have found it a little wanting unless you were revving it.

Most don’t rattle, mine certainly didn’t. Touring packs add a load of sound damping (carpet) to the cabin and that makes a huge difference to refinement.

I drove an Evora S several years ago and not long after they were released. Even that was deeply impressive. Despite Evo’s love
of all things Porsche, they voted the n/a Evora car of the year. Not a lot that gets anywhere near the steering feel of a Lotus.

The S2 Exige S is fantastic, if a n/a you might have found it a little wanting unless you were revving it.

Most don’t rattle, mine certainly didn’t. Touring packs add a load of sound damping (carpet) to the cabin and that makes a huge difference to refinement.

I drove an Evora S several years ago and not long after they were released. Even that was deeply impressive. Despite Evo’s love
of all things Porsche, they voted the n/a Evora car of the year. Not a lot that gets anywhere near the steering feel of a Lotus.

Yes, it was the NA one with non-linear Toyota engine

Lotus messed up the Evora launch. Didn't they release it as a NA V6 first then a year later release a supercharged V6 version that was CHEAPER...

I think the whole car world is hoping the Exige is a success as most cars now are just blunt, dull, fast instruments with little steering feel. It's got hydraulic steering rack for starters and an old skool drive train (the lack of R&D budget on that front has played into enthusiasts hands). I saw one out on the roads in Oz in Nov and they look lovely on the move. It must have been an early dealer model.

Yes, it was the NA one with non-linear Toyota engine

Lotus messed up the Evora launch. Didn't they release it as a NA V6 first then a year later release a supercharged V6 version that was CHEAPER...

I think the whole car world is hoping the Exige is a success as most cars now are just blunt, dull, fast instruments with little steering feel

Time for a general car thread? Think we've all buggered up this one for the OP.

Time for a general car thread? Think we've all buggered up this one for the OP.

lol - it’s a honed skill!

Anyway, later used Mclarens are often brilliant value and there is a reason for that. They are unreliable and can cost a huge amount to fix. Friends neighbour was challenging a £50k bill to fix the engine on his, it got to court I believe as should have been a warranty job. So if you have a deep wallet go for it as everyone I know thinks they are amazing to drive. But potentially a massive money pit.

A Caterham is a brilliant car and probably even more track focused than the Elise, but for me it was just too compromised on the road (when raining especially) for me to pull the trigger. The Elise came with a hardtop and a soft top (that almost worked). The Caterham I borrowed for a weekend was just not a nice place to be when it rained. Shame as they are epic to drive.

I'm coming from the basis of potentially replacing all my motorbikes with a Caterham, so it seems like luxury by comparison!

I owned a 911TurboS for several years, and drove all the usual suspects when I was looking to replace it. I spent a day driving various McLaren’s round Spa including 650 and 570, and tbh I wouldn’t have changed the Porsche for any of them.
I ended up with a Huracan Performante, while no quicker in real life, feels exciting and an event at normal road speeds! It’s also been 100% reliable, and utterly solid with no creaks or rattles. Hth

This is only 2 cases out of many cars sold, but worth linking to. If I was spending 100s of thousands of quid on a car, I wouldn't take the risk. Apologies for the clickbaity youtube picture.

Any manufacturer that has to specify how you can / can't shut the doors on their models is making a badly designed car IMHO.

This is only 2 cases out of many cars sold, but worth linking to. If I was spending 100s of thousands of quid on a car, I wouldn't take the risk. Apologies for the clickbaity youtube picture.

Any manufacturer that has to specify how you can / can't shut the doors on their models is making a badly designed car IMHO.

Was going to post that. It's not a good look for McLaren.

Anyone who doesn't configure their Emira with Dark Verdant (Green) exterior, Tan leather interior, Silver Ultra light alloys with Yellow brake calipers is doing it wrong.

You should see the colour threads on various Lotus forums. I am still undecided, narrowed it down to 4 out of the 6 options..... I think!

advertisement

Back