advertisement

Anybody running a McLaren 650/570?

So, a friend had a 650, really rated it and over and above his Huracan. He’s also owned an Exige V6 with a 430bhp upgrade which he preferred to his Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera.

Interestingly he’s recently bought a new Corvette and he reckons it’s a better drive than the 650.

There’s a lot to like about the Exige V6. An analogue driving experience, junior supercar looks, still (relatively) practical, will hold its value and unlike Mclarens, won’t destroy you financially.

I know they are hugely competent, but I simply cannot get excited about Porsches.

So, a friend had a 650, really rated it and over and above his Huracan. He’s also owned an Exige V6 with a 430bhp upgrade which he preferred to his Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera.

Interestingly he’s recently bought a new Corvette and he reckons it’s a better drive than the 650.

There’s a lot to like about the Exige V6. An analogue driving experience, junior supercar looks, still (relatively) practical, will hold its value and unlike Mclarens, won’t destroy you financially.

I know they are hugely competent, but I simply cannot get excited about Porsches.

Exige V6 had alot going for it but might be tricky as a Euro cruiser?

Exige V6 had alot going for it but might be tricky as a Euro cruiser?

In non-Covid times, my car friends do an annual Euro Trip, Alps, Northern Italy, German, France, Austria etc. I’ve done it twice, did 750 miles in one day in the Elise S1, not a problem.

It’s certainly not a cruiser but they are relatively practical and comfy compared to a 7.

In non-Covid times, my car friends do an annual Euro Trip, Alps, Northern Italy, German, France, Austria etc. I’ve done it twice, did 750 miles in one day in the Elise S1, not a problem.

It’s certainly not a cruiser but they are relatively practical and comfy compared to a 7.
Once you get into a comfortable position, an Elise/VX220 (in my case) is a pretty comfortable ride - as long as the heater/blower works of course!

Once you get into a comfortable position, an Elise/VX220 (in my case) is a pretty comfortable ride - as long as the heater/blower works of course!

this is true, when I bought the Targa, I was surprised it had the carbon fibre sports bucket seats, whose only adjustment is forwards and backwards. I was even more surprised that they turned out to be the most comfortable yet cramped seats I've had in any car.

I am mildly concerned about reverting to more normal seats in the new car.

A work colleague used to take his Elise S1 down to the south of France, & said it was fine. Having had a long drive in mine, in the dark & p*ssing rain, I never fancied another. Getting in & out over that wide sill was a real challenge, but the car itself was good fun on short journeys & I never had an ounce of bother with it.

I don't get what you are looking for here? What point have I missed? In my opinion it is ugly - in my opinion a 6R4 is not ugly. Are you talking about a Delta S4? Are you telling me what if find ugly?

The 6R4 is ugly, but in a good way.

That rear end contains the suspension and drivetrain of the Supra. You need to drive it Myles, if ever there was a single car manufactured in the last 20 years whos looks were of no importance whatsoever then the GR-4 Yaris is that car.

Any while it's not ugly IMHO, it's certainly no looker either. A teenage boy would probably disagree though. The same is also true (IMHO of course!) of the Supra.

Not that either are going to be of any relevant to someone wanting a high-end posing machine like a McLaren.

The 6R4 is ugly, but in a good way.
In a functional way - there is nothing designed for aesthetics only. It catches my eye in a different way to the GR, but I think that subject has been well discussed now - especially in a McLaren thread!

A work colleague used to take his Elise S1 down to the south of France, & said it was fine.

I've passed Elises on what looked like long motorway drives (both here and on the continent), and in all cases they've been going very slowly (e.g. well under the speed limit). I'd assumed that's because they were too noisy to be comfortable at speed for any real distance. Definitely not what I'd buy for grand touring, although it'd be massive fun around the Cairngorms in the summer.

I've passed Elises on what looked like long motorway drives (both here and on the continent), and in all cases they've been going very slowly (e.g. well under the speed limit). I'd assumed that's because they were too noisy to be comfortable at speed for any real distance. Definitely not what I'd buy for grand touring, although it'd be massive fun around the Cairngorms in the summer.

I owned an Elise for many years and I can concur that it's not fun on long drives. However I didn't buy it for that, I bought it for track work and for that purpose there was little to touch it if you wanted to be able to drive to the track, run all day and then drive home in reasonable comfort.

I owned an Elise for many years and I can concur that it's not fun on long drives.

Given that on a couple of the times when I'd passed them I was driving my motorhome, I'd assumed they weren't enjoying the driving experience.

However I didn't buy it for that, I bought it for track work and for that purpose there was little to touch it if you wanted to be able to drive to the track, run all day and then drive home in reasonable comfort.

Sounds like a good option for that although if/when I buy a track/fun car I think I'm more likely to go for a Caterham (and probably an old one with an engine I could work on myself).

Sounds like a good option for that although if/when I buy a track/fun car I think I'm more likely to go for a Caterham (and probably an old one with an engine I could work on myself).

A Caterham is a brilliant car and probably even more track focused than the Elise, but for me it was just too compromised on the road (when raining especially) for me to pull the trigger. The Elise came with a hardtop and a soft top (that almost worked). The Caterham I borrowed for a weekend was just not a nice place to be when it rained. Shame as they are epic to drive.

I’ve not read the whole thread, but in case it’s not been mentioned yet, I’d suggest including the Alpine a110 in your research.

May be too cheap :), but it looks like a heap of fun.

Did a bit of googling and found a chap named Tim Burton (Shmee) who seems to have a whole load of followers who have have funded his supercar garage for no particular reason. He doesn't even seem to be a top driver.
Strange world...

A work colleague used to take his Elise S1 down to the south of France, & said it was fine. Having had a long drive in mine, in the dark & p*ssing rain, I never fancied another. Getting in & out over that wide sill was a real challenge, but the car itself was good fun on short journeys & I never had an ounce of bother with it.

Seats are also generally very comfy in Elise’s and Exige’s too Tony. I always used foam ear plugs on long journeys which made you feel a lot fresher. Dark, heavy rain and sports car are rarely a good combination. Especially as the world now uses 4x4’s and SUV’s which dazzle you when you are sitting low in a sports car.

I've passed Elises on what looked like long motorway drives (both here and on the continent), and in all cases they've been going very slowly (e.g. well under the speed limit). I'd assumed that's because they were too noisy to be comfortable at speed for any real distance.
This is true

advertisement

Back