advertisement

Spotify HIFI is here!!!

I organised a free trial on Qoboz and forgot to cancel so I have just been charged for the year's subscription. Of course, Qoboz sounds better: it's natural that CD quality or above does sound better than a 320 bit-rate, nevertheless, the interface and catalogue and features on Spotify are far superior. Now, you may not listen to reggae much but it is, largely, absent from Qoboz, unless you want to listen to endless Bob Marley. Now, for me, when a whole genre is pretty much missing, it is a product for the audiophile rather than music lover. I shall enjoy my year's subscription and hope that the catalogue changes - it is really good for jazz and classical so I will use it for those and Spotify for the rest.

Yes, I do slightly resent paying Spotify for current music and Qobuz for Jazz and Classical… but I guess it’s still cheap compared to buying physical formats.

So I have done the test of Spotify v CD using the Telarc recording as above using 'The Magician' as the test track for its scale.

System sources are Linn Sekrit DSM and Sony CDP338ESD.

First up was Spotify and it was lovely, engaging and enjoyable. I then tried the CD and everything had more tonal range and a deeper 'bigger' soundstage. The tympani drums at 2:00 were so much more dynamic.

So I was wrong, Spotify is good but CD is much better.

I then tried CD v Quboz, with the exact same track. I could not really tell which one was which.

Listening via Squeezebox touch (Teddy power supply) /Densen inboard DAC, Dynavector L300/Hx100 and Shahinian Larcs, which is a very revealing and engaging system, I very quickly bore of Spotify. Qobuz on the other hand I can listen to for a long time. In fact quite often Qobuz sounds better than the equivalent CD.

Spotify is superficially pretty but quite obviously compressed and really only good for in car or LoFi use , much as I like its interface

Still not as good as good vinyl, but more than acceptable and much easier to use

I think I gave up on this idea around september. I wish they'd be clear. Anyway, since it's only 'background' here, then the loss of SQ doesn't matter and more than compensated by the OS and catalogue.

Listening via Squeezebox touch (Teddy power supply) /Densen inboard DAC, Dynavector L300/Hx100 and Shahinian Larcs, which is a very revealing and engaging system, I very quickly bore of Spotify. Qobuz on the other hand I can listen to for a long time. In fact quite often Qobuz sounds better than the equivalent CD.

Spotify is superficially pretty but quite obviously compressed and really only good for in car or LoFi use , much as I like its interface

Still not as good as good vinyl, but more than acceptable and much easier to use
Qobuz’s catalogue is very poor, unfortunately.

Qobuz’s catalogue is very poor, unfortunately.

it’s not as extensive as Spotify, but I reckon the difference is only about 5% so I wouldn’t call it poor.I find over 90% of what I look for.

Perhaps it varies from genre to genre.

Yes it does. What I listen (slot of country music, classical recordings I love) is almost never available on Qobuz.

I listen to a broad range of music and found loads of gaps in the quobuz library, so sticking with Tidal for the time being.
Same as me. Plus I don’t like the Qobuz functionality. I cancelled my membership after my one month trial. I pay for Spotify and Tidal and plan to bin tidal when Spotify high res finally arrives. Spotify is king when it comes to the library and functionality.

The reason most of the general public can't tell much difference between 320/Ogg Vorbis and lossless that unlike us, they have poor quality equipment that doesn't resolve the difference enough.

Why watch a movie on an HD Smart TV when you can watch it on your smart phone.

I just wish Spotify would get on with it. Tried Tidal, Amazon HD, Qobuz - all great but I much prefer the UI of Spotify. As soon as they do HiFi I'll be all over it.

It’s interesting that some audiophiles only focus on sound quality.
I don’t have any issues listening to spotty.
In fact while my dac was out of service I connected the CCA direct to the amp & my enjoyment was not effected in any way.
Critical listening can happen for me from time to time but I find myself doing it less & less & enjoying the music more & more.
That can be via spotty, cd, radio etc etc.

Spotify, the listening booth of streaming services. Try, like, buy from shop or web outlet. I think of the playlists as my dad's old R2R party tapes, hours of great music playing along in the background that you partly hear.

No it's not hifi quality, but my Atom/Beosound2/Yamaha WXC-50 all do a sufficient job to be enjoyable at sensible volumes. Would I upgrade? not at extra cost...

advertisement

Back