advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Brighton fan, I found that penalty decision was just wrong. I agree with Webster, Jota moved towards the goalkeeper to get the contact.

It would have been a tough one to take without VAR. The fact that some clown takes several looks at it with a good view and still gets it hopelessly wrong is worse. I'm sure some Liverpool fans might have enjoyed the bonus but these things have a habit of biting back. Klopp would not have enjoyed being on the wrong end of that. It also ruined a good finish to the match for the neutrals. Why the ref didn't back his own call is beyond me.

Think you’re all being a bit kind re Jota’s penalty.

It was a ******g joke!

Bet he and Liverpool couldn’t believe they got away with that one.

Did he have form for this kind of thing at Wolves or has he been taught these dark arts since he’s been at that Red mob?

I agree that the Jota incident was never a pen and most of my red WhatsApp mates agree too.
However the howls of righteous indignation from City and Chelsea fans are truly comical.
Self-awareness clearly isn't a thing with you lot.

I agree that the Jota incident was never a pen and most of my red WhatsApp mates agree too.
However the howls of righteous indignation from City and Chelsea fans are truly comical.
Self-awareness clearly isn't a thing with you lot.
Only Liverpools fans allowed to comment on a highly controversial decision? Self awareness? Mmmmm?

I just watched the Jota 'incident'. Attacking players are often looking to make contact in the area and appeal for everything all the time, this one was just more amateurish than most. Clearly the main problem lies with the referee and VAR here though, how they both concluded that it was a penalty is very mysterious.

I just watched the Jota 'incident'. Attacking players are often looking to make contact in the area and appeal for everything all the time, this one was just more amateurish than most. Clearly the main problem lies with the referee and VAR here though, how they both concluded that it was a penalty is very mysterious.

It’s not really that mysterious, the PL needed to give that cheating Red mob some help to keep their title challenge alive.

It’s a shame as they have enough decent players not to need it but the PL are desperate for anyone but City winning it again.

It’s not really that mysterious, the PL needed to give that cheating Red mob some help to keep their title challenge alive.

It’s a shame as they have enough decent players not to need it but the PL are desperate for anyone but City winning it again.
I doubt it affected the points as it was so close to the end - it just leaves a nasty taste.
Jota has previous and the correct decision would have been for Friend to have booked him and restarted play with a free kick to Palace.

Having watched that back on MOTD2 confirms what I thought at the time - Jota clearly initiates contact with the goalkeeper by changing direction and manages to con VAR and the referee into awarding a penalty.
It really is cheating of the worst kind and had it ocurred at the other end and secured Palace a draw Klopp would have gone absolutely bonkers.
Most teams have a player who tends to go down rather easily - Liverpool appear to have a complete front 3 so one can only assume it is being coached into them.
It would be nice if City didn't walk away with the league but it would be even nicer if Liverpool remained in contention by fair means.

most fans would agree it wasn't a pen but blame the VAR guy not the player who didn't change direction to collide with the GK, simply dinked the ball over him and was going out then there was the collision. Goal kick was the correct decision, I suppose the other two goals shouldn't have counted either?

disagree, he tries to get his right foot to it and that causes the movement away from the defender... still wasn't a pen tho

LFC would be two points closer to City if the ref had looked at the monitor when Jota was completely wiped out by Royal of Spurs, as nailed on as they come. Didn't Ederson wipe out a Newcastle attacker recently and no action taken? Funny old game isn't it but as the Reds benefitted here then let's all kick up a stink.

LFC would be two points closer to City if the ref had looked at the monitor when Jota was completely wiped out by Royal of Spurs, as nailed on as they come. Didn't Ederson wipe out a Newcastle attacker recently and no action taken? Funny old game isn't it but as the Reds benefitted here then let's all kick up a stink.

It would be fairer if the win was awarded to Crystal Palace. And a further 3 points deducted from Liverpool for breeding a bunch of cheats. Award City the title now and let you concentrate on finishing in the CL places.

I'd accept that.

He absolutely did change direction - he initiated the contact and knew exactly what he was doing - is there a Specsavers near you?o_O
He even looked at the keeper just before and thought 'I'll have a bit of that and see if I can get away with it'. I doubt even he was expecting to get a penalty from aiming himself at their keeper. It's as bad as players dangling a leg out to make contact with a defender. They know all the tricks, it's just amazing that the refs don't.

City won the league in 2019 by one point, earlier in the season, Martin Atkinson failed to give Keita a blatant penalty at home vs Leicester, Liverpool ended up drawing that game, if they won they'd have won the league, that was a far far worse decision than Jota getting a penalty. So hand over the 2019 EPL trophy back to it's rightful winners! ;)

Can any knowledgeable person explain the promotion rules from the National League North into the National League?

The winners automatically get promoted. That bit is easy. I can't fathom out the next part. Teams finishing 2nd to 7th position have a play off. How does that work with six teams in the mix? The play off winners then get promoted.

Confused regarding the six team play off.
The second and third place teams have a week off and play the winners of games between the other four. I didn’t know that but you piqued my interest as I watch a few games at that level and lower.

Let's pretend the pen wasn't given, oh look Liverpool still win 1-2.
Jota was absolutely floored and denied a clear pen a few weeks ago, swings and roundabouts from VAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back