advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
NZ news: Omicron has finally broken free of border quarantine & has infiltrated the community.

I'm not eligible for my booster for a fortnight. Meanwhile, I've brought the washing in.

Nearly half of those who became ill with Covid in the first wave of infections may have long-term and even permanent changes to their sense of smell, according to preliminary research from Sweden.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ses-may-suffer-lasting-harm-to-sense-of-smell
I’m not surprised. Mine took a good 6 months to get to anything approaching normal, and probably another 6 months before I could smell certain things (eg, farts) at all. I’m not convinced it is completely back to what it was before, even now. Some things still smell different to what I remember.

I’m not surprised. Mine took a good 6 months to get to anything approaching normal, and probably another 6 months before I could smell certain things (eg, farts) at all. I’m not convinced it is completely back to what it was before, even now. Some things still smell different to what I remember.

Err, was that before or after you recommended Bread and Butter chardonnay?

12 months on and I’m certain that when Mrs L complains my fart stinks she’s lying.

Err, was that before or after you recommended Bread and Butter chardonnay?
:D:D:D
In my defence, m'lud, we've been drinking it since BC* times, but the more recent bottles haven't hit the spot quite the same. I wasn't sure if that was changing sense of smell - I've been assiduously retraining my sense of smell with beer, wine and whisky - or just that the more recent vintage isn't hitting the mark.

*before Covid

Does she say 'Lord! Summat stinks in here'?

Very good!! It’s very strange as things seem to taste the same, but smells are not quite right. I can’t smell the aforementioned, rendering sprouts almost pointless, and toiletries are slightly strange, I seem to miss any citrusy lemon notes. They smell almost tar-like, but then I get used to them and they become more like I remember. I almost wonder if it’s my nose telling lies, then my brain sorting it out. I cannot smell anything lemony at all though. After twelve months I doubt it’s going to get any better. My sleep cycle has never really recovered either. Things could though have been much worse.

Very good!! It’s very strange as things seem to taste the same, but smells are not quite right. I can’t smell the aforementioned, rendering sprouts almost pointless, and toiletries are slightly strange, I seem to miss any citrusy lemon notes. They smell almost tar-like, but then I get used to them and they become more like I remember. I almost wonder if it’s my nose telling lies, then my brain sorting it out. I cannot smell anything lemony at all though. After twelve months I doubt it’s going to get any better. My sleep cycle has never really recovered either. Things could though have been much worse.
Yes, one reason I'm convinced my smell is not yet back to normal is that my hair shampoo still smells funny. I haven't changed brands, and I'm pretty sure they haven't changed anything, but the balance of the scent has definitely changed, and not in a good way. It took over a year before I could smell my farts, and I still have the odd day when there's a constant smoke, or petrol smell in the background for no reason at all.

Might be worth getting an actual lemon and seeing what that smells like. Brain might be missing the visual cue

I had exactly the same thing from a seriously bad cold back in 2017. Only a few things smelt / tasted different but it took about four years for those things to taste normal again.

I had exactly the same thing from a seriously bad cold back in 2017. Only a few things smelt / tasted different but it took about four years for those things to taste normal again.
Interesting. Mrs P-T currently has a bad cold - the first since the initial lockdown. She's lost her sense of smell as one often does, but not completely. Things still smell like they usually do, but greatly attenuated. Loss of smell due to blocked nasal passages isn't usually complete, and doesn't tend to come on in the space of a couple of hours, IME. When we lost ours with Covid, it disappeared some time between breakfast and lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back