advertisement

Not surprised, that’s quite an Accuphase stack there and you wouldn’t want unwarranted attention…knowwaramean? Says he deeply covetous of Accuphase gear.

Thank you! TBH, I sometimes think about selling the DAC and putting the proceeds towards a better Accuphase pre amp, and just get a simple sub 1000 EUR DAC. I seem to have lost interest in digital replay a bit, it's currently mostly on for background music during home office. Every time I sit down to really listen to music, it is with the TT. And the difference between the DAC-40 board vs the DC-37 was a lot smaller than the difference between the AD-30 board and the Whest, so I think there are more gains to be had in the analog domain than in the digital.

Motivated by Big Tabs 1996 post, I found some old pictures, so here's a few of mine through the ages:

Top-Room-005.jpg

From 2001 and the quality of camera phone available at the time...
Small loft conversion = dedicated HiFi room
LP12 Ittok and K18mk2
Magnum integrated (can't remember the model)
Yamaha CD player (can't remember the model)
DIY active crossover, DIY Phono Stage (two boxes in the middle)
Harmon Kardon Power amp for the Subwoofers
Out of shot, DIY Subwoofers and Infinity bookshelves (can't remember the model)

Top-Room-082.jpg

Jump to 2005
Loewe TV, Dynaudio 42 & Dynaudio 42C, DIY subs (double as stands)
Behringer Analogue crossover, Rotel 985 5 channel amp, Quad 520f powering the subs
Rest of the equipment was wall mounted on the otherside of the room.
From memory, same LP12, Meridian 506 CD and 501 preamp and a Yamaha DSP300 for the surround sound

Top-Room-112.jpg

Jump to 2010, room has been flipped around
Now using Dynaudio BM5A for left, right & centre, Dynaudio 42 now passive rears, different Loewe TV
Early Mac Mini for computer audio
Loewe VCR and Denon DVD player!
Top-Room-115.jpg

Other side of the room feeding the front through the walls
LP12, Ittok and Sumiko BPS, same DIY Phono.
Meridian 506 CD, Meridian 518 Digital Audio Processor and Meridian 568 Surround Processor
Quad 510 for each DIY Sub, 520f now feeding the Rears, Behringer DCX2496 DSP Crossover.

It's changed a bit since then, but having children in 2011 means the room seems to be a dumping ground / clothes drying space now...

wow, what a collection of classic Hi-Fi.

9-E927-B1-D-7310-45-A0-8-BAD-227035-E6-AF48.jpg

Finally persuaded swmbo to move hifi into larger room. Quad vena II (hidden under table), planar 3, raspberry pi4/JustBoom/ ruark sabre 3’s.

20-E9-F737-16-A1-4-B3-A-9321-9-C1-F8-C25-F052.jpg

Lovely room and system. Memories of my Sabres many, many years ago. Good taste in music too

51831015004_4827f624e2_c.jpg

Apologies for poor photo, but this is my very simple set up. Naim Superuniti into Allaes. Rega P1 with performance pack for vinyl duties, and my dad's old Denon CD player plugged into the Superuniti DAC which is very rarely used these days!

Tempted to change the Allaes this year. I'd like something with a bit more bass and warm sound, so thinking of trying some Neat Momentum 4i's.

My advice FWIW ... don't sell the Allaes until you have had any replacement in your system for a while and are truly happy with them. I sold mine and went through several different replacements before buying another pair of Allaes. I then played around with positioning for an age and have them exactly right now. I also put them on the end of a Teddy Pardo PR1/MB100s amp combo and the system sounds stunning for the outlay, the speakers really responded to the amp upgrade (from a 202/200). They are Naim's best kept secret in my opinion and a snip at the secondhand prices they go for.

My advice FWIW ... don't sell the Allaes until you have had any replacement in your system for a while and are truly happy with them. I sold mine and went through several different replacements before buying another pair of Allaes. I then played around with positioning for an age and have them exactly right now. I also put them on the end of a Teddy Pardo PR1/MB100s amp combo and the system sounds stunning for the outlay, the speakers really responded to the amp upgrade (from a 202/200). They are Naim's best kept secret in my opinion and a snip at the secondhand prices they go for.

Thanks, there seems to be a few people who’ve sold their Allaes and gone on to regret it - agree they are a super bargain secondhand, I’ve never really understood why they’re so cheap!

51838194914_55340e2255_c.jpg

Return to vinyl in flight. Somehow I’ve already got two TTs. The LP12 here is a beautiful simple model from the very early nineties, in English Walnut, with a Basic+ arm. I’ll mount the Ortofon 2M Black on this. I’m waiting to take my other deck (Roksan 20+ with Sara - cart to be saved up for - it’ll be a MC) into Audio-T in Brighton when I get a chance for a bit of a set-up, and to get the phono boards fitted to the PS box.

Rest of system is:
Roon Rock NUC
Bryston BDA2
Bryston B135-3
ART Alnico Signatures

I have a collection of vintage CDPs to rotate. Currently there’s a Denon in there.

9-E927-B1-D-7310-45-A0-8-BAD-227035-E6-AF48.jpg

Finally persuaded swmbo to move hifi into larger room. Quad vena II (hidden under table), planar 3, raspberry pi4/JustBoom/ ruark sabre 3’s.

20-E9-F737-16-A1-4-B3-A-9321-9-C1-F8-C25-F052.jpg

Love a well-hidden system. That would get approved in our house. I have to hide boxes under units, behind the sofa, anywhere SWMBO can't see them.

D0-B5-A660-0143-4-D2-F-AADF-1-FF6-AB61-D5-C2.jpg
Crappy snap showing most recent changes: NA Interspace Jr. replaces NA Horizon SE; vintage Tensor lamp added for extra swank. Rest of system is unchanged: Mofi Studiophono, Raspberry Pi, SMSL dac, not pictured are Nakamichi RX-505, Sony MDS-JB930 md player, Meridian M20 speakers.

edit: oh, and Quad 33 obviously.

Change of speakers after I couldn't resist the Ref Reference 2's in the classifieds. These are a potential replacement for my Proac D15's which are too small for my listening area. The Kef's sound great driven by a vintage Trio (Kenwood) KA-6100. I'm on the lookout for a Trio Supreme 500 or 600.

IMG-5058.jpg

IMG-5059.jpg
Stylish room!

AT95 ml ?
…you know what? You’re right, well spotted. I do have the 95 on there (no stylus guard). Looks like the 540 is still on my Thorens TD160 Super, which is sitting idle in a cupboard. D’OH!

Geez, I only have 3 turntables. You’d think I could keep it straight what was mounted where.

advertisement

Back