advertisement

Wharfedale Linton Heritage - opinions

I love the look of the Lintons, especially with their stands. I don’t know if they sound similar to the originals but I love the sound of some older speakers. I got a pair of Wharfedale 505.2s to fix up for old times sake. They have a silken warmth that’s very nostalgic and comforting. Takes me back. My aim is to group them with my A&R T21 tuner and an A60 amp when I can afford to get hold of one. My wife doesn’t understand it. Maybe by the time I’m in my 70s, god willing, I’ll be sitting with that set up. Like going full circle.

I'd hardly say there is anything old fashioned about the 505.2's... even if they are 30 years old... The tech hasn't got much higher in that 30 years.

My use of the term 'warm' is to say it's not sounding analytic or sharp, which to me is turning
into exhausting for long term listening.
Not meaning coloured in a way that's painting obviously false content into the music
or start re-interpreting context in their way that I start perceiving it as a little bit wrong

I'd totally agree in the context of your definition then. That sums my feelings of the Linton's pretty accurately

Last edited:
Now your making me feel old... I repaired more B1's than you can shake a stick at when at MF and they were a current model! Seems like only about 10 years ago...
It paired well with the Wharfedales . A big, cavernous sound in the room I had back then. I’ve got the mahogany versions which were supposed to sound a little better. They were the days! I think I’ve been trying to recapture that initial enthusiasm I had, that sense of discovery that existed then. My B1 was fine. Went to NAD after that.

I tried several times to convince myself to buy a Wharfedale Linton. They are really beautiful and fit well into the interior. But their sound is too specific. It is wadded, rough, squeaky. In addition, these loudspeakers need a powerful amplifier to drive them through the range of impedance drawdown. If you read the thread on the Hoffmann forum, you'll see the problems owners of these loudspeakers face. And yes, they are very attractive.

I’ve heard them a couple of times,
Definitely harks back to speaker voicing of 30-40 years ago.
Warm, full bass, not forcefully detailed or overly forward.
Big, bold & ballsy. Great fun.
Probably best for rock, easy to drive & yes they need some space around & behind them to avoid being overblown.
If you want finesse, mega detail or neutrality, probably look elsewhere, but if you want bags of musical fun, they’re well worth a listen.

That sounds most agreeable.:)

According to the manufacturers blurb and from what I've read you need an amp that will happily drive a 4ohm load

My speakers are 4ohm. The receiver drive them well from the last 10 years.

I have a concern for the 85w, wich folks say probably will handle. And the sonic signature mix of the vintage Marantz 2285b and the Lintons

My speakers are 4ohm. The receiver drive them well from the last 10 years.

I have a concern for the 85w, wich folks say probably will handle. And the sonic signature mix of the vintage Marantz 2285b and the Lintons

What concerns you about the 85W?

I tried several times to convince myself to buy a Wharfedale Linton. They are really beautiful and fit well into the interior. But their sound is too specific. It is wadded, rough, squeaky. In addition, these loudspeakers need a powerful amplifier to drive them through the range of impedance drawdown. If you read the thread on the Hoffmann forum, you'll see the problems owners of these loudspeakers face. And yes, they are very attractive.

Some people say they are smooth. How could it be squeaky and smooth in same time?

advertisement

Back