advertisement

The joys of an older car coming back to life

Olaup

pfm Member
Many years ago I used to "tune" cars, it was good times, no computers, no cameras, no OBD scanners, it was raw nitty gritty solve problems or modify. I used to buy Cars & Car Conversion magazine, it was a treasure trove of tuners & real shops that you had to go to to buy stuff or hopefully get it delivered. Anyway I digress.

6 years ago we sourced a car for our daughter as her run around, it was French, oh no I hear you say, it was a Peugeot, oh no I hear you say, it was a 206, oh no I hear you say. Surprisingly it has been fairly reliable up until about 6 months ago when the cambelt decided to strip 4 teeth, it is an interference engine, that means pistons & valves collide, the engine was written off we thought.
The car was recovered to the garage, it sat there for 2 months whilst the guy "sourced an engine", we waited, we waited, in the end I got the car back as it took me 5 mins to source an engine on Ebay. I bought a complete engine for £120 as I now suspected bent valves & hopefully no piston damage. Engine duly bought, I decided to do the rebuild myself.

Once I'd read up on matters I decided that this was going to be a slow return rebuild, as components came off I'd inspect them, label them, refurbish them, basically a full clean & repaint if necessary. The head came off, it was bent valves, crucially the piston crowns were fine, a small contact indent on 2 pistons, no need to scrap the engine now. The engine bay was then fully degreased, as was the engine block, wiring tidied up, clips bought, hoses refurbished, I wanted it back to a non oily presentable bay to go forward on. I began the task of strip/cleanse/refurbish. It has now taken me about 3 months but a few weeks back I refitted the head & injection system, this was fully decoked, valves re-lapped, injectors cleaned, new O rings on whatever had them, whilst stuff is off refit new seals.

Due to bad weather & work , plus losing the bloody key which is now sorted as finally found, I haven't had time to move forward but finally last Sunday I installed the last components with new water pump, timing belt & tensioner, then auxiliary belt, radiator & fresh antifreeze/water. The time came to fire it up, will it or won't it, that is the million dollar question. Freshly charged battery was installed, the key was inserted, moved to position 1, all lights went out, no problem, I then cranked it over. It cranked for what seemed like an age, probably about 10 seconds though, mostly as the fuel pump & rail primed up, the little engine fired up, it was running about 2000rpm, a quick inspection, I'd missed a vacuum pipe connection, duly sorted, it settled down to about 1200 RPM, after warming up a nice steady 900 RPM as it idled away. I have valve clearances to check but it was far quieter than the original engine setup, seems to rev far more instantly, maybe it is just because it hasn't run for 6 months though.

The joy & satisfaction that that engine noise gave me was worth everything, after maybe 20 years since I'd last done anything with cars I had a bloody big grin on my face. We soldier on, I have front discs n pads to do yet, front coil springs to do as well, then MOT. She has given me the car for free, she bought a Toyota as the replacement, so come the warmer months soon I will bring this little car back, it deserves it, a member of the family it is. For less than say £300 it lives again but I have the satisfaction of regaining my car tuning mojo back even if for a short while.

Was it worth it ?

Yes is the answer for me.

To be continued....

Brilliant story Olaup, good for you! Great that you have the skills and experience to do that, and the opportunity to do it again. As Seeker says, not much scope for that sort of thing with a more modern car.

You remind me of my car exploits
Triple C was a staple diet back then and anything Italian or with twin chokes on it was God
Happy days

Great story Mr Olaup! Like yourself, in my youth, I used to tune up cars & I still remember the great sense of pride & satisfaction you get when you get an engine you've rebuilt fires up & runs well. Good luck with your future renovations.

Another C&CC reader here. Removed, stripped and rebuilt several engines back in the day. Took the 2.3 slant 4 out of an old Vauxhall Victor and shoved it in my Magnum 1800, after a full rebuild of course. Made a nice little car. Couldn't see me doing that these days, cars are a bit more complicated. The electronics would probably stump me.

impressive - i used to tinker back in the day, have changed an engine or two, but no interest these days.

I have trouble tuning my radio nowadays! Your satisfaction is understood as grinding valves on my mini in my yoof is the nearest I've got to car mechanics. Well done.

I'm getting the same vibe out of a 900 quid 2002 MR2. When I bought it it weas running on maybe half power and the handling was all over the place. Sorted all that, now the cosmetics.

impressive - i used to tinker back in the day, have changed an engine or two, but no interest these days.

Speaking personally, changing the head gasket on an A-Series engine in my (then) gf's car on a February Sunday afternoon (outdoors), really took the shine off recreational mechanics.

yes all my tinkering was with an A-Series.....

About as simple as it gets. I learned a lot about cars with them. Primarily (1) you lock it TDC by wedging a screwdriver in the starter ring and (2) there is no such thing as too much instant gasket.

Reminds me of working on my Triumph Spitfire back in the 70s. You could pretty much stand inside the engine bay while you were tinkering.

Try doing that on a modern car! :)

My car skills stopped at manually turning the distributor cap to improve the timing on my Mini some 45 years ago! There was a spark plug thingy with a bit of glass in, so you could see the colour of the combustion while you turned.
Mind you, I did change the battery on the Panda a couple of years ago. That seemed to work afterwards.

Changing the head gasket on a Hillman Imp, without taking the engine out was my high point. The manual from Haynes said take the engine out - but sod that I thought. I did it over a weekend on the drive of the rental bedsit I had. I dropped a washer down into the sump - but fortunately there was no cross member so I was able to partially drop the sump and fish around with my hand to find it.

Also later I had a Spitfire 1500 (DYS 665 T - I still remember, and that funny not Red/ not Orange colour). I spent hours sitting on the offside wheel doing jobs. The little triangular copper exhaust gasket was a perennial problem - and spending ages tuning the twin carbs with a Gunsen Colortune!

I'm currently (slowly) rebuilding a 1966 Morris Minor for my son, but I've found so much, well hidden, rust that we may buy another and use this one as a spares car. I also have a 1970 Triumph Vitesse convertible and I've just re-fitted the gearbox/overdrive after a full rebuild. Most jobs on the Triumph are really easy with excellent access to the engine, but the gearbox has to come out from inside the car as the chassis prevents removing it from underneath as in most RWD cars. As a result it takes about 3 times as long as usual gearbox fitting, still - as the OP says - it's always very satisfying to complete a job. Despite having worked on cars for years and having done some pretty challenging jobs - fitting a Toyota engine onto a Ford Gearbox into a Datsun was probably the most difficult - I'm always surprised when the car actually works after my exploits!
IHEj5HIh.jpg

I'm currently (slowly) rebuilding a 1966 Morris Minor for my son, but I've found so much, well hidden, rust that we may buy another and use this one as a spares car. I also have a 1970 Triumph Vitesse convertible and I've just re-fitted the gearbox/overdrive after a full rebuild. Most jobs on the Triumph are really easy with excellent access to the engine, but the gearbox has to come out from inside the car as the chassis prevents removing it from underneath as in most RWD cars. As a result it takes about 3 times as long as usual gearbox fitting, still - as the OP says - it's always very satisfying to complete a job. Despite having worked on cars for years and having done some pretty challenging jobs - fitting a Toyota engine onto a Ford Gearbox into a Datsun was probably the most difficult - I'm always surprised when the car actually works after my exploits!
IHEj5HIh.jpg
Is that an '80's Vanagon Camper in the back there?

advertisement

Back