advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon Murray talking about the Brabham BT52 in Autosport:

“It was pretty non-adjustable,” he explains. “The front wing’s main plane was non-adjustable, so all you could change were the flaps. The rear wing was fixed apart from the Gurney, and it had no rear anti-roll bar. I didn’t want to fiddle with the car.”

Simple happy days!

Balestre had got his way and effectively banned ground effects, so traction again became an issue, as two tonnes of downforce had been produced by the ground effects cars. That was essential with the rising power outputs from the turbo cars.

A form of ground effects is back for this season.

The best looking F1 car ever.

Prost has left Alpine. It was an advisory role, so I’m not sure how important this is. @IanW ?
I think that will be good news for Alpine.

For some time now they have had too many chiefs (Budkowski, Abiteboul and Prost have all been deemed surplus to requirements) and when of them is a winning driver in a leadership / advisory role, you are asking for trouble as they are generally, very self focused.

One point I forgot to add re overtaking.

Despite the fact that they were going to get rid of DRS for the 2022 rules onwards, they have had to keep it as the FIA aero team forgot that there will be no slipstream effect if the cars keep the same downforce (the target of the rules) when following other cars, which then means there is no drag reduction when following down the straight and so they would have to put that in with DRS. So a lot depends on how effective DRS is in 2022 and beyond.

I wonder if anyone has come up with a way of slightly raising the chassis at high speed with aero forces… The ground effects downforce, and therefore drag, would be greatly reduced. No. Surely not.

Last edited:
Just over three weeks til testing at Barcelona, another test just before Bahrain, then the 23 races begin.

20 March: Bahrain (Sakhir)
27 March: Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
10 April: Australia (Melbourne)
24 April: Emilia Romagna (Imola)
8 May: Miami (Miami)
22 May: Spain (Barcelona)
29 May: Monaco (Monaco)
12 June: Azerbaijan (Baku)
19 June: Canada (Montreal)
3 July: Great Britain (Silverstone)
10 July: Austria (Spielberg)
24 July: France (Le Castellet)
31 July: Hungary (Budapest)
28 August: Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
4 September: Netherlands (Zandvoort)
11 September: Italy (Monza)
25 September: Russia (Sochi)
2 October: Singapore (Marina Bay)
9 October: Japan (Suzuka)
23 October: USA (Austin)
30 October: Mexico (Mexico City)
13 November: Brazil (Sao Paulo)
20 November: Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Why does every team that Alonso drives for seem to end up in a mess management wise? I want to believe it's coincidence, but there comes a point....

praying-hands-with-faith-in-religion-and-belief-in-god-on-dark-power-picture-id1181376545

The Russian race in September could be quite optimistic if Putin drives his 'taxi' to Ukraine.
It would be the least of our problems though.

Just over three weeks til testing at Barcelona, another test just before Bahrain, then the 23 races begin.

20 March: Bahrain (Sakhir)
27 March: Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
10 April: Australia (Melbourne)
24 April: Emilia Romagna (Imola)
8 May: Miami (Miami)
22 May: Spain (Barcelona)
29 May: Monaco (Monaco)
12 June: Azerbaijan (Baku)
19 June: Canada (Montreal)
3 July: Great Britain (Silverstone)
10 July: Austria (Spielberg)
24 July: France (Le Castellet)
31 July: Hungary (Budapest)
28 August: Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
4 September: Netherlands (Zandvoort)
11 September: Italy (Monza)
25 September: Russia (Sochi)
2 October: Singapore (Marina Bay)
9 October: Japan (Suzuka)
23 October: USA (Austin)
30 October: Mexico (Mexico City)
13 November: Brazil (Sao Paulo)
20 November: Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

For some reason when I think of a Miami grand prix I think I of the Miami Vice theme song
I think the drivers should be required to wear white suits for the race.

Is this a good explanation here by Driver 61 of where the Mercedes suddenly found that 'extra' pace in the last 3 races?

Good explanation here by Driver 61 of where the Mercedes suddenly found that 'extra' pace in the last 3 races.

Scarbs should not have made that video as he has got so much wrong about why Lewis was so quick in the last 3 races and in particular at Interlagos.

The engine change had little impact on the last 3 races. At best the Merc will have gained 0.1 secs a lap from running a new engine in the peak power modes.

Lewis' car had far greater acceleration than anyone else as soon as he was out of the last turn at Interlagos (Merc had evolved a setup through the season that Lewis could drive and Interlagos had the ideal layout to really exploit it).

The acceleration difference cannot be achieved with fitting a new powerplant but can be achieved by a large reduction in drag (based on the laws of physics and the technical regs as to what is possible and measured at the track).

The large reduction in drag was achieved by allowing the rear suspension to soften and the diffuser and rear wing to stall, which would reduce the drag by over 10%. This type of setup could be put on any car, but it is very difficult to drive (hence on Lewis' car and not clearly on BOT's car) and is far more beneficial on a low rake car (Merc had the lowest rake car).

I explained this at the time as there were questions as to how the large acceleration differences could be possible. It was nothing to do with the rear wing flexing on the Merc that Lewis was penalised for and very little to do with the engine rotation policy (although that did help a bit).

Why does every team that Alonso drives for seem to end up in a mess management wise? I want to believe it's coincidence, but there comes a point....

Maybe teams with poor decision-making processes (too many fevered management egos) are the only ones who would bet the farm on Alonso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back