advertisement

MagLev

This product has come up a few times. The vertical wobbling in the video is horrible, several mm. This must be playing hell with the cantilever. I presume that the several permanent magnets in the platter are not exactly matched - they cannot be.
What happens when the record is slightly off centre is not shown. The total lack of damping could make this very unstable.

This product has come up a few times. The vertical wobbling in the video is horrible, several mm. This must be playing hell with the cantilever. I presume that the several permanent magnets in the platter are not exactly matched - they cannot be.
What happens when the record is slightly off centre is not shown. The total lack of damping could make this very unstable.
Or if the disc is warped, would that exacerbate what appears to be an inherent 'wobble'?

The platter base has several permanent magnets. There is no way to exactly match them, so the platter is not horizontal on the repelling field. As it rotates, it wobbles up and down.

The concept is a clever piece of theatre, but very flawed as a record turntable

Reactions: GT
Come back to this reviewer. He unboxes, plays it, says it's cool. At one point he swings his arms about and you can see the playing deck respond by escalating platter wobble from completely unacceptable to "reactor overload - evacuate the 'hood". At no point does he mention that the blasted thing is a liability and will destroy your records if not your tapes and furniture. Where is his responsibility? Could he be sued for failing to warn his catatonic subscribers?

Pro-ject should be ashamed.

IMO it's quite a neat idea but targeted at completely the wrong market. I think what could work is to combine the levitating platter idea with the Brian Eno TT with ambient, sound-activated lights in it, make it by the 10,000 in China and sell it as a kind of funky "teenager's bedroom" starter TT for £65.

images

Great start up time, almost as good as an SL120GR. Imagine the seconds of fun scratching with that!

Cool and fun would be 'Wheel by Miniot', at least it should be once they get the final product out there.

At least the developers have been forthcoming about what issues they've faced and appear committed to seeing the product through to production.

Cool and fun would be 'Wheel by Miniot', at least it should be once they get the final product out there.

At least the developers have been forthcoming about what issues they've faced and appear committed to seeing the product through to production.

Very cool, but essentially done before - Technics SL-7 and 10 as well as a front loading Phillips deck that played both sides of the record and had an upside down spring loaded cartridge.

I backed the Mag-Lev on one of the early bird deals for shits and giggles as the price was reasonable and it looked intriguing. After a multitude of delays I sold my pledge to someone else. I noticed later that the guy had bought up about 3 others, hoping to flip them on ebay for the much higher retail price. Mine was delivered to him and since developed a fault. The others never came. Serves him right.

advertisement

Back