advertisement

Symptoms of nap200 needing servicing

Could be at source, most likely preamp stage. If a power amp channel was the culprit it would probs give some evidence in distortion

I've just closed the curtains (left wall, large window, point of first reflection). Problem solved. Panic over ha ha *

The amp is 15 years old so likely needs a service - does being powered up "wear out" the parts as quick as being used to play music? I only ask because it's been powered up nearly the whole time but only been used 5 hrs a week at most.

* New house, first time using system!

does being powered up "wear out" the parts as quick as being used to play music?

That's a tricky question to answer

Perhaps what you should be asking is ...does switching the amp on and off several times a week wear it out quicker than leaving it switched on...

That's a tricky question to answer

Perhaps what you should be asking is ...does switching the amp on and off several times a week wear it out quicker than leaving it switched on...

I also wondered whether the caps wear out quicker when playing music or "idling".

Could be at source, most likely preamp stage. If a power amp channel was the culprit it would probs give some evidence in distortion

Nothing sounds distorted (crackly etc), but it does sound rather shut in. I will leave it on for a week as it's been unused for a few months. I might get it serviced anyway as it'll sound better or be easier to sell (if I keep the Tron monoblocks which are lined up for comparison next weekend).

Please, please, please don’t leave unused kit on. It’ll wear out more quickly, and perhaps more importantly contribute unnecessarily to global warming.

I think most will agree there's no point in leaving power amps switched on. The heat will destroy the capacitors over time, music or not.

Maybe not destroy, but certainly reduce the working life of capacitors. Leaving them switched off also means your loudspeakers are much less likely to be damaged by an amplifier gong through its death throes whilst you're not paying attention.

After 15 years you definitely need a service. Got mine done at 11 and that was probably 3 years too late. Was genuinely taken aback at the transformation. I hadn’t realised how much top end detail had gone nor how much sound stage and instrumental clarity.

After 15 years you definitely need a service. Got mine done at 11 and that was probably 3 years too late. Was genuinely taken aback at the transformation. I hadn’t realised how much top end detail had gone nor how much sound stage and instrumental clarity.

That's the thing - the change is gradual so I don't know what I'm missing!

I couldn’t put my finger on it but it boiled down to far less “wow” moments. As it happened there were multiple things wrong with the boxes and cables but the 200 was the big one.

I couldn’t put my finger on it but it boiled down to far less “wow” moments. As it happened there were multiple things wrong with the boxes and cables but the 200 was the big one.

Its tricky: I've changed speakers and moved house 3 times... Wow factor has gone but I always put it down to other factors. I will get it serviced.

A service may well be the answer. Whatever Naim say, any benefit from leaving them powered up is minimal. Things don’t take long to warm up in use and the practice of leaving things on all the time, as Naim recommend, in my view is a hangover from the days when energy bills weren’t the size they are today and climate change wasn’t known about. The whole practice of leaving everything powered up all the time in order that 1% of performance can’t be missed while your kit warms up is audiophile neurosis. Also, Naim’s service charges used to be very cheap. Not so anymore and it increasingly looks like harvesting these fees is an important part of Naim business plan!

Its tricky: I've changed speakers and moved house 3 times... Wow factor has gone but I always put it down to other factors. I will get it serviced.

Do not discount your room. If it hasn't sounded good since the last time you moved your room may be contributing. The amp will definitely benefit from a service, but it may not be the Holy Grail you expect. I had my NAP200 serviced a year or so ago and it did sound a better, but it wasn't a night and day transformation.

Hi,

@Neil P

If you are getting it serviced send it to Darran at Class A, excellent service, Naim authorised, and will have your 200 picked up and returned fully insured.

I would deal with Darran long before I went near Naim.

http://www.hifi-repairs.com/

Cheers

John

Darran's prices were always below Naim's.

The parts he is getting from Naim are most likely hit with price increases, can't imagine he can keep up previous level.

advertisement

Back