advertisement

Gyro SE vs Radius 7

Does anyone have any thoughts on how a Michell Gyro SE compares to a Roksan Radius 7.
A few years ago I decided to try vinyl again having not owned a turntable since the mid 90’s.
I currently have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable and want to upgrade.
The new turntable needs to get visual approval from my better half which is why the Gyro and the Roksan have been shortlisted.
If I go for a Gyro initially it will be used with a very early Rega RB300 which I have spare.
If I go for a Radius 7 would be bought with a Nima. Initially, the cartridge will be a Denon DL-110 though I also have the Ortofon 2M Red that came with the Pro-ject. Later I plan to upgrade the cartridge.
Thanks
David

Never heard a Roksan Radius 7 ( I did have a dem of a Roksan Xerxes, preferred the Gyrodec and the Roksan was poor build quality IMHO) but out of those two I'd opt for a Gyro SE, easy to set up, excellent build quality, a 'classic' design, easily upgraded with a different/better tonearm, orbe platter, PSU, etc.

Rega Planar 8 is everything you need.
Easy to setup.
Good price
Excellent dynamic and speed.
Firm bass.
Electronic speed change.
Excellent customer service for any issue.

PS: I own a Gyro SE as well.

Rega Planar 8 is everything you need.
Easy to setup.
Good price
Excellent dynamic and speed.
Firm bass.
Electronic speed change.
Excellent customer service for any issue.

PS: I own a Gyro SE as well.
He wants a TT that’s visually appealing :)

I’d go Gyro SE - looks plus upgrade options. Michell customer service is excellent, in my experience, ymmv.

Obviously in a minority but the Nima headshell looks awkward, not a fan of the aesthetic, a Technoarm/PU7/SME IV on a Gyro is a nice looking combo.

Can’t go wrong with a Gyro. Excellent turntable, upgradable over time with things like the better power supply etc.
To be honest, I think nearly any turntable at this level is going to be very good indeed, whether it’s a Rega, the Vertere, or indeed a Gyro.
But every time I hear a Gyro, it just sounds right.

The Giro is one of those products that has been around for so long it has to be considered a classic. And turntables don't stay in production for decades unless they're doing something right? Add superb build quality and backup and it's likely to be a very satisfying purchase.

The Giro is one of those products that has been around for so long it has to be considered a classic. And turntables don't stay in production for decades unless they're doing something right? Add superb build quality and backup and it's likely to be a very satisfying purchase.
But sonically speaking, the Planar 8 is better.......

Not in my book it isn’t.
Different yes, very good yes, but sonically better? Not for me.
And I’ve heard both extensively.
Likewise, side by side and borrowed a mates a couple times briefly, I prefer the Gyro sound and looks but obviously many differ and prefer Rega decks.

But sonically speaking, the Planar 8 is better.......

I can't say, as I've not heard it. I owned an RP10 for two years and didn't like it. I've heard the P10 but not in a context that let me pass any judgement on it but however you cut it you're talking about a matter of taste. Personally, I'd rather have an LP12 than any of them but that wasn't the question.

Between the two decks he asked about, I'd have the Michell. It has a great history, classic looks and great build. Sounds nice too. Roksan decks have always been a bit also ran to me and I doubt the build quality is the same. Roksan have had issues with their decks but I don't recall ever hearing about problems with Michell decks. Their engendering skills are highly respected.

Here’s a pic when I had an RP8 next to the Gyro. There’s a new Neo Mk2 psu out, dunno if that improves it or is just cosmetic.

I demo’d the Gyro SE against the Roksan many years ago. I bought the Gyro without a second thought.

Liked the seemingly neutral clean sound of the Gyro SE with Nima that I had for a couple of years but from my listening chair it was in my line of sight and distracted me from listening to such an extent that I sold it.

I'd take the Amazon One in the classified's over the two you have listed, if it has to be one of them though, the Gyro definitely.

advertisement

Back