advertisement

Supernait 3

It is possible that they are both right: the Alps blue has decent channel balance when used in a normal range. Naim's preamp stage has way too much gain for modern sources which means that the volume pot only gets used in the first part of its travel and it's this part of the travel that is problematic wrt channel matching.

If Naim used the part properly, it would be fine!

This is, perhaps, received opinion. An SN2 or 3 is not a Nait 2 or a 72. I've owned modern and CB/Olive Naim amps, and the preamp gain on the modern stuff is significantly less than the previous generations.

In any case, the inconsistencies in the account, and its rambling nature are obvious.

I ran a SN1/HC from 2007-2021 and it was a solid performer. The SN3 was to my ears a good improvement in air and detail and just more lovely sounding BUT I concur with previous post that SN1 was better in some ways. SN1 was a more solid chunky ‘fun’ sounding amp and while not as ‘hifi’ as SN2/3 was sort of special in its own way. I wish I had kept it for a garage system or other. SN2/3 are much closer in sound to my ears, if you have a 2 I would not recommend swapping to a 3 unless you were running a TT with a MM cart (then the SN3 has a great inbuilt phono to utilize).

Side note. I have had my SN3 about 6 months and have not as of yet added the HC to it as it is on a shelf waiting to be recapped and just have not got round to doing this yes, all parts are here, I just need to find time!)

I ran a SN1/HC from 2007-2021 and it was a solid performer. The SN3 was to my ears a good improvement in air and detail and just more lovely sounding BUT I concur with previous post that SN1 was better in some ways. SN1 was a more solid chunky ‘fun’ sounding amp and while not as ‘hifi’ as SN2/3 was sort of special in its own way. I wish I had kept it for a garage system or other. SN2/3 are much closer in sound to my ears, if you have a 2 I would not recommend swapping to a 3 unless you were running a TT with a MM cart (then the SN3 has a great inbuilt phono to utilize).

Side note. I have had my SN3 about 6 months and have not as of yet added the HC to it as it is on a shelf waiting to be recapped and just have not got round to doing this yes, all parts are here, I just need to find time!)
Your comments are exactly as I heard it when comparing the different versions of the Supernait.
I also realized that adding a Hicap on a Supernait 3 wasn’t as necessary as adding it to a Supernait 1 to my ears.

I'm in the same camp. Its like a Nait 5 with power. They can be had for 1K Euros.

I've had both and this assessment is spot on, in my experience. The OG Nait 5 and SN didn't get a love of love -- I think they weren't lean enough for those who prefer the olive amps and not hi-fi enough for non-Naim fans. I loved both, though! I think the same kind of sound can be had and expanded upon by the 282/250.2, which is my current amp. I'm really happy with it and not very interested in moving up the range or getting the amp DR'd. (Running the 282 with two Avondale TPR4 CB Hicaps.)

I have a Supernait 1 (with a Hicap) and will never let it go.
Not as detailed and analytical as the 2 or 3, but rather meatier, softer and more musical to my ears.
Newer is not always better IMO.

That’s a very interesting account of your experience Gervais. I had an early issue SN1. I thought it sounded great; best amplification I’d had to that point. To my eternal shame, I allowed myself to be talked into replacing it by all the chatter putting it down and demanding improvement of this or that. Acquired an SN2 at considerable net cost, but although I could hear difference, no appreciable improvement to my ears. I might claim to be sadder but wiser; but I doubt there is more wisdom evident since…

advertisement

Back