advertisement

BBC licence fee to be abolished in 2027 and funding frozen...

The thing that's curious about this whole thing is that the Tories are hitting their own demographic. The vast majority of youngsters don't watch live terrestrial TV anyway, it's only the old fogeys like us. Free TV licences for the wrinklies was a popular thing, of course, hence their trying to blame the BBC for taking it away, but I can't help feeling that it goes against the normal Tory voter. I certainly don't think it will increase their vote among the yoof, who will simply not have a TV licence anyway.

You are right that the Tories are partly using it for political gain. But just like all sides of the political spectrum, they have no legitimate arguments.
Lefties will complain when the BBC say something they don't like, then cheer when the BBC says something they do like. Just like the Righties

Agreed. I said as much but in a different way up thread.

Most parts of the establishment hate Boris and the factions he represents and would far rather have gone on with the likes of Cameron, May at worst, but he was the price they were prepared to pay to keep the left out of power.

I'm sure that's true. But Corbyn's approval ratings were so bad by that point you get the impression the Tories could have fielded a ham sandwich and won.

It`s your forum Tony, no need to hold back.....

I realise it costs me money to do so, and likely a lot, e.g. the Steve Hoffman forum wisely has a absolute blanket ban on both religion and politics (and a lot of very ugly Trump-right politics lurks under that lid) but this is the only tool I have to argue for political reform and to defend my human rights and civil liberties as our political system has failed me entirely. If I can help change a few minds via my business and help fund Good Law Project, save a few sea turtles etc it is well worth my while. I wish everyone would put their money where their mouth is in a similar way. We can only achieve change by winning arguments. I am anti-royal as it is the least democratic form of rule imaginable. It is the polar opposite of what I am.

I think you will find the overwhelming majority of us here are anti-royal. I have certainly never considered them any authority over me. I have absolutely zero respect for the institution or the violence, conquest, colonialism, slavery and bloodshed its stolen wealth is built upon. Brenda makes the best of an entirely ridiculous job, and credit to her for cutting her creepy paedophile son loose recently, but really they can all stick their stupid flags up their arses as far as I’m concerned.

I'm surprised you stoop as low as libel on your platform. Unless of course you have evidence of Prince Andrew being a paedophile? Real evidence that is.
Note, I'm not commenting either way on the accusations. Except for the fact I have a lot of reservations regards the accuser.

All countries improve over time. Some faster than others. We are no longer involved in slavery etc etc. Unless of course you have evidence?
Oh, and remember- Slavery in a lot of cases was only possible because 'their own' sold them on in the first place. But lets keep that hush hush, as it isn't politically correct to say that.

Now lets assume what would happen without the Royal Family. Where do you think the likes of BoJo and Corbyn would take us. The wests version of N Korea? I can easily see it.
We have a lot to be thankful for. Some things not to be thankful for, but also a lot to be thankul for. But I won't be arguing anymore. It is clear of your position.

Oh, and that comes from someone who is not anti or pro. I can just accept what we have and realise it is a lot lot better than what we could have.

Don't worry though. It is clear moderate views are not accepted on here. I shall delete my account right away.
Au Revoir

I'm sure that's true. But Corbyn's approval ratings were so bad by that point you get the impression the Tories could have fielded a ham sandwich and won.
They absolutely did not think that at the time. They may all have considered Corbyn personally to be a joke but 2017 had shocked the hell out of them and demonstrated that they couldn't afford to take risks: a 20 point turnaround, was it, in Labour's polling between the 2017 election being called and the day itself? Respectable establishment influencers - BBC, The Times - burned a lot of capital propping up Boris and Brexit in a way they simply wouldn't have had the alternative been a) less frightening and b) a distant prospect. They hate him, they've always known what he is.

I'm surprised you stoop as low as libel on your platform. Unless of course you have evidence of Prince Andrew being a paedophile? Real evidence that is.
Note, I'm not commenting either way on the accusations. Except for the fact I have a lot of reservations regards the accuser.

All countries improve over time. Some faster than others. We are no longer involved in slavery etc etc. Unless of course you have evidence?
Oh, and remember- Slavery in a lot of cases was only possible because 'their own' sold them on in the first place. But lets keep that hush hush, as it isn't politically correct to say that.

Now lets assume what would happen without the Royal Family. Where do you think the likes of BoJo and Corbyn would take us. The wests version of N Korea? I can easily see it.
We have a lot to be thankful for. Some things not to be thankful for, but also a lot to be thankul for. But I won't be arguing anymore. It is clear of your position.

Oh, and that comes from someone who is not anti or pro. I can just accept what we have and realise it is a lot lot better than what we could have.

Don't worry though. It is clear moderate views are not accepted on here. I shall delete my account right away.
Au Revoir
Please stay. We need more moderate voices on this forum. Don't let the woke mob win.

I didn’t notice any moderate views from you at all. Anyway, enjoy the Daily Mail comments page, UKIP, or wherever you belong.

PMSL. My comments were nothing but moderate.
I have said both lefties and righties complain unfairly about certain news outlets, and I have said I am neither pro or anti Royal.
However you have allowed your views to cloud your judgement. Especially as I am so far removed from the Daily Fail and the racist UKIP as it is possible to get.
Its funny how often you get that. Say something anti Corbyn, and you must be a right wing racist. Despite the fact being anti Corbyn is surely being anti racist, as that's exactly what he is.
Say something anti BoJo, and you must be a Corbynite.
It's like the time I mentioned Drogba took a freekick from an incorrect position against Man Utd, and I get a Chelsea fan sending an abusive message to me, including the words 'Manc scum'.
Well thats funny, as I have never supported Man Utd. Unfortunately you have fallen into the same trap.
So on that note, it really is time to leave.

"The government's threats to the TV licence have sparked a debate about the BBC's future. We need to take into account the fact that in the decisive terrain for communications will be digital. The decline of broadcast is an opportunity for fundamental change in public media."

https://twitter.com/danhind/status/1483057180421107712?s=20

The British Digital Cooperative: A New Model Public Sector Institution

Just a reminder of some of the reform ideas that were taken up by the Corbyn movement before the 2019 election sank all hope of positive change in the short term. I still think the idea of expanding the idea of public service broadcasting to incorporate digital is a good one, even if it all seems very academic now.

Au Revoir
Looking back through this thread, you opened with the tired old trope that if the BBC is getting complaints from both sides, that shows the BBC is unbiased. Which ignores the possibility that a proportion of complaints might be made in bad faith, and also that you can't simply weigh the numbers of complaints and declare that they're roughly equal so there's nothing to see. You have to do some qualitative analysis on the nature of the complaints.

So you received responses setting out this alternative take on the position you set out. That's discussion. That is a long way from not accepting views, and it's a bit of a lofty assumption that your views are the moderate ones, too.

So if you're not prepared to argue your case, and just prefer to play the hurt card than defend your position or develop your argument, then perhaps a discussion forum isn't the place for you. But if you do stay, try to be less defensive and more open to receiving alternative points of view. You might benefit from it.

Looking back through this thread, you opened with the tired old trope that if the BBC is getting complaints from both sides, that shows the BBC is unbiased. Which ignores the possibility that a proportion of complaints might be made in bad faith,

Just to pick up on this one point, it cuts both ways. Especially if you include those in the "Doesn't agree with my personal, political POV. BIAS!" category.

advertisement

Back