advertisement

Roger Waters

I had forgotten about the When The Wind Blows soundtrack. Not listened to it for more than 20 years. I used to have the CD. It contains the rather excellent track Towers of Faith (and in fact, one whole side of the album is Roger Waters). Anyway, I just bought a vinyl copy from Discogs.

I still wonder who's more talented, Roger Waters or David Gilmour?
I think they need each other, much as they hate each other. Waters for the concepts and overall song writing, Gilmour for doing what he does best. I enjoyed his early solo albums for his guitar work, not so much the actual songs. He also lifted a couple of Pete Townshend tracks above the level of ordinary on the White City album.

I still wonder who's more talented, Roger Waters or David Gilmour?

As a songwriter? Waters. As a guitarist ? Gilmour, as a singer, depends on the track, David Gilmours self titled 1978 album is excellent imho but his other solo efforts not so much, whilst the later Floyd Lps are good they're not a patch on Waters penned material either with or without the rest of the band. Claptons playing on Pros and Cons and Becks on Amused to Death is probably as good as Gilmours, just a slightly different sound, Josh Homme (QOSTA) was interviewed for Total Guitar or some other Guitar mag, he said " people say it's all in the fingers, I didn't quite know what that meant until I played with Billy ( Gibbons)"
When I saw Waters live in the early 2000's I was blown away by Snowy White but more so Lloyd Brammel III, upside down strings but what a player.

I had forgotten about the When The Wind Blows soundtrack. Not listened to it for more than 20 years. I used to have the CD. It contains the rather excellent track Towers of Faith (and in fact, one whole side of the album is Roger Waters). Anyway, I just bought a vinyl copy from Discogs.
Had the vinyl since it came out. One of my favourites.

Claptons playing on Pros and Cons and Becks on Amused to Death is probably as good as Gilmours, just a slightly different sound

I saw the Pros & Cons live at Birmingham back in 84. Bunked off school with a mate to get the coach down! He had giant screens at the back of the stage but the effect was diminished because they didn't join up properly! If only they had the technology they had available on his Wall tour back then...

David Gilmours self titled 1978 album is excellent imho but his other solo efforts not so much
I quite enjoy About Face too. A wonderful sounding piece of vinyl to boot. Everything after that I find to be a bit pipe-and-slippers.

I saw the Pros & Cons live at Birmingham back in 84. Bunked off school with a mate to get the coach down! He had giant screens at the back of the stage but the effect was diminished because they didn't join up properly! If only they had the technology they had available on his Wall tour back then...

At the NEC? Wednesday 27th of June by any chance? My ticket stub says East Stand, Block 5, Row B, seat 113, they played a variety of Pink Floyd songs the first half and then the whole of Pros and Cons the second half and all for a tenner.

At the NEC? Wednesday 27th of June by any chance? My ticket stub says East Stand, Block 5, Row B, seat 113, they played a variety of Pink Floyd songs the first half and then the whole of Pros and Cons the second half and all for a tenner.
Certainly was! Not sure of the name of the stand but it was stage right.

I was at that!
I was so far away from the stage it could have been anyone up there until they came up on the screens.
Just mentioned it to the Mrs who said, “I remember it was too bloody loud.”

I've seen Waters maybe 4 times now. I managed to get backstage passes a few years back as a guest of Snowy White who was a gent. Bumped into Waters as we were heading back out front and was surprised at how amicable he was. Total gent, chatted away and thanked us for coming along.

I enjoy his music immensely though his last live show was so vitriolic I was a little bleak after it.

advertisement

Back