advertisement

BBC licence fee to be abolished in 2027 and funding frozen...

It's a state broadcaster I don't expect anything else. Nothing that couldn't be fixed by forcing it to adopt the standards of neutrality required during an election period though. Nevertheless, you only have to compare to PBS in the States to see what we stand to lose

Apart from being spineless, supine and opposing pretty much everything that helps the less well off, it has given Farage the oxygen of publicity that he never merited, given equal weight to truth and bollocks in the name of fairness. I am sad but I'm a damn sight angrier.

Apart from being spineless, supine and opposing pretty much everything that helps the less well off, it has given Farage the oxygen of publicity that he never merited, given equal weight to truth and bollocks in the name of fairness. I am sad but I'm a damn sight angrier.

The starting point must be - why do the Tories hate it and, as ever, who are you siding with?

Can someone suggest a more even-handed and less biased news source please?

I'm struggling to think of one.

Someone will be along to tell you that answer shortly...

Sky News

C4 News

ITV News

Pretty much any major news service has less establishment bias, in my view.

The BBC News website is quite decent though, as long as you ignore the comment pieces.

Here you go.

FWIW The options suggested are no less or more biased than the BBC IMV. People watching the news will use their selection bias accordingly, to filter what they agree and don't agree with to support their individual views/argument.

Where's the statement from Labour that they will reverse it as soon as they ever get into power and restore the BBC's independence?

In fact yer know I'm having a despondent and depressing day here (altogether, Aw...). it seems everything and anything I hold dear, believe to be right, fair, good, is being destroyed with little chance of ever being restored...
Almost all changes seem to be for the worse and when it's changes imposed by gov then all are for the worse

“The old order changeth yielding place to new And God fulfills himself in many ways Lest one good custom should corrupt the world"

Maybe it's a getting old thing... but it doesn't really feel like it to me.

Ah well it's pub night and my mate and I will no doubt put the world to rights at least in our own minds and for a few hours:)

News accounts for less than 10% of the overall budget (https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Departmental-Overview-2020-21-The-BBC-Group.pdf) and which also includes local news.

To run the risk of hobbling the rest of the BBC for the sake of one part (political news) of one part of the BBC, is shortsighted.

I also find it interesting that the Govt want to do this because it thinks the BBC is too left-wing and many here want it punished for being too right-wing.
They don’t really want to do this because they think it’s too left wing, they want to do it because the public service model is an insult to everything they believe in, because their media backers are increasingly concerned about the BBC taking eyeballs from them, and because attacking the BBC is central to their culture war strategy. I’m sure they do also think the BBC is too left wing, but that’s because their aim is total, unequivocal right wing dominance across the cultural board.

Personally I have mixed feelings. Destroying the BBC will almost certainly reshape the British media landscape for the worse in lots of ways. But they did this to themselves, and I’m not just talking about the executives. Root and branch, the BBC have always been aggressively defensive towards *any* criticism from the left - who far from wanting them to toe the line have demanded no more than greater accountability, transparency, diversity, impartiality - and cravenly accepting of any and all criticism from the right. They’ve just gone along with everything and this is the inevitable outcome.

iu

As per others, I've mixed feelings. I don't watch or listen to much of their output but I think there is generally more good than bad. I think over the years the dross has been worth putting up with for the exceptional stuff they do.

However it does infuriate me that their news and current affairs stuff gives equal standing to those with looney ideas in the name of "fairness" instead of calling it out for what it is, they shouldn't be having these people on and stroking their chins giving credence to what they say, they should have them on to rip them apart. They are partially to blame for some of the mess we're in.

I don’t think the Tories hate it. I think they put up a facade of hating it, to keep it cowed and on the back foot. Which is where they want it.

Then surely they'd be throwing money at their clever ruse that's fooled so many people. The truth is that they can create something much more supine and without any 'baggage'...

Then surely they'd be throwing money at their clever ruse that's fooled so many people. The truth is that they can create something much more supine and without any 'baggage'...
Well this way looks more likely to give them more of what they want, ie control of the narrative, while allowing some of their backers to make money off it, so no, I don’t think that’s an obvious conclusion.

It's simply that they are tory cnuts and cannot abide any human activity happening without some wealthy twunt getting wealthier still off the back of it. Simples. It's tory ideology.

Think of the Ferengi from Star Trek and you've got the tories sussed.

Ooh I'm conflicted, while I like the idea of a neutral UK based media outlet with worldwide reach providing quality content, the BBC hasn't been neutral for a long time. The news and educational stuff should remain funded, but far from the affects of day to day government comings and goings.

The BBC has been a bag of shite since Greg dyke left.

Haha. I do laugh.
Now lets see who complains about the BBC.
1- The lefties
2- The righties

Oh hold on, to me that makes the BBC rather neutral. Does it not?

Lets be honest, if the Tories attack the BBC (which they are right now) then that obviously means the BBC are holding the Tories to account (BoJo hates being held to account). Which means the BBC is likely neutral.

Oh, and with the article mentioning American TV, well that just shows how stupid those advising the article are. American TV is pure garbage.

Haha. I do laugh.
Now lets see who complains about the BBC.
1- The lefties
2- The righties

Oh hold on, to me that makes the BBC rather neutral. Does it not?

Lets be honest, if the Tories attack the BBC (which they are right now) then that obviously means the BBC are holding the Tories to account (BoJo hates being held to account). Which means the BBC is likely neutral.
No, we’ve covered this argument before. The complaints are qualitatively different from each side. By and large, the right-leaning bias - let’s call it a failure of impartiality - is genuine. Whereas the claims of left-leaning bias are usually confected and unsupported by credible evidence. Basically, the Tories complain about the BBC for tactical reasons rather than any genuine grounds of complaint, and the BBC uses that as ‘evidence’ to support its claim to impartiality.

No, we’ve covered this argument before. The complaints are qualitatively different from each side. By and large, the right-leaning bias - let’s call it a failure of impartiality - is genuine. Whereas the claims of left-leaning bias are usually confected and unsupported by credible evidence. Basically, the Tories complain about the BBC for tactical reasons rather than any genuine grounds of complaint, and the BBC uses that as ‘evidence’ to support its claim to impartiality.

Ah right, gotcha. The BBC dare complain about my favourite party, so I will claim thats the only genuine argument.
In other words, I'm right, you are all wrong.

Sorry, but that does not stack up. If the BBC were really so pro right, the Tories would not keep threatening it. BoJo loves people sucking upto him. The whole of the BBC would have knighthoods by now. Or are you trying to claim this is the Tories way of making the BBC even more pro Tory? Tough love shall we call it? Well if that is the case, you can only assume this latest announcement is a pure lie.

Nah sorry. I have never once found the BBC anything other than neutral on the whole.

advertisement

Back