advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

Yes, Stirling has beautiful cabinets.

I wish Stirling had more of a presence (well, any presence, actually) in the U.S. No importer, no dealers. I told Doug 12 years ago he should sell direct. I've bought two pair of Falcons direct from England.

A friend in Canada wanted a pair of V3s.
I suggested he contact Doug.
A short time later the speakers arrived in Winnipeg.

And another one waiting for his pair of Falcon Q7 complete@home with tygan grilles to be shipped. It will be going back in time when I had the Rogers LS3/5A, Kef constructor series CS1 and CS1A. Years later, when those were gone, I had the AVI Neutron III and currently have the ProAC Tablette 10. The Q7 will replace the ProAc's.

I've ordered a 1969 Hood 10 watt class A amp from China to see how it will work with them. I don't tend to listen
at loud volumes. These are the best speakers I've ever owned and knowing I put them together just adds a little bit of pride to the ownership.

In the 1950's there were some single ended amplifiers that used cathode feedback - they are magic with the LS3/5A.

PS What a lovely guy Jerry at Falcon is, he couldn't have been more helpful.

150% agree.

Edit: Just noticed that Pensator has not been visiting anymore after the 6 posts regarding the LS3/5A & Falcon kit.

Last edited:
And another one waiting for his pair of Falcon Q7 complete@home with tygan grilles to be shipped. It will be going back in time when I had the Rogers LS3/5A, Kef constructor series CS1 and CS1A. Years later, when those were gone, I had the AVI Neutron III and currently have the ProAC Tablette 10. The Q7 will replace the ProAc's.
What's your impression of the Tab 10s & what's caused you to replace them with the Q7s? I came within a hair's breadth of pulling the trigger on a new pair of Tab 10s, then a pair of Spendor 11R LS3/5/as cropped up & I nabbed them instead. I've been delighted with them, but retain curiosity about the Proacs.

What's your impression of the Tab 10s & what's caused you to replace them with the Q7s? I came within a hair's breadth of pulling the trigger on a new pair of Tab 10s, then a pair of Spendor 11R LS3/5/as cropped up & I nabbed them instead. I've been delighted with them, but retain curiosity about the Proacs.

I had the Proac Tab 10 and replaced them with the Q7s.
The Tab10s (for me) sounded very analitical and somehow cold and bright. Definitely not for me
The Q7s are allround a much better speaker with a more natural warmer , deeper sound.

The Tab10s (for me) sounded very analitical and somehow cold and bright. Definitely not for me
The Q7s are allround a much better speaker with a more natural warmer , deeper sound.

Just out of interest what amplifier did you use with The Tablette 10?:)

Several reasons.

With the right amplifier the LS3/5A voices can sound very lifelike, sofar I do not have the same impression with the ProAc's. I would not have bothered but the ProAc's are made from MDF and the grilles annoy the sh*t out of me: MDF is just pressed paper and when it gets wet you'll see it almost disintegrating before your eyes. The grilles' side are ever so slightly bend inwards due to the tension of the grille cloth.

From other experiences with veneer over MDF I know that in due time (might be as along as 10 years or more depending on humidity) veneer will be giving problems.

There are also a few other reasons that I avoid using a solid state amplifier with expensive speakers: Over twenty years ago I had top of the range Cyrus gear which decided to switch itself on whenever there would be a "brownout". During one of these episodes the amplifier blew their output transistors and took a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 20 speakers with it. I was unable to obtain the right drivers so they were a write-off. Modern speakers normally have a life cycle of around three years before replaced by the next model (sometimes 5 years) and good luck finding a replacement driver afterwards.

The Q7 and LS3/5A will outlive the ProAc Tablette 10's. Resale value of the LS3/5A is high, many will get more back for them than what they paid. There are some other timeless speakers (like the Klipsch La Scala) that hold their value relatively well. The TCO is as a result relaively low. (Total Cost of Ownerhsip = Purchase price plus maintenance costs minus resale value) Will the Q7 hold it's value? I doubt it but then I buy it for being the last set of speakers I need and want, have been around the block enough and need something that I can take with me if I ever have to go into a smaller home. The Q7 may be cannabilised for its drivers to fix some 15 Ohm LSS3/5A should one be desperate enough. If one is very proficient in using woodworking tools then it might be a relative simple matter to turn the Q7 into an LS3/5A (O horror), an abonimation.

A well thought out evaluation there, Mozart. Cheers :)

Do you think the problem with the Cyrus was that it was in standby instead of being fully powered off?

It is the standby mode and all kind of automatic controls. It was years before I eventually figured it out, the Cyrus long gone for next to nothing, I was disgusted with it. Quite a bit of money went up in smoke.

Discovered the reason one night when the lights nearly completely went off for a few seconds and then came back on. Had at the time the same problem with a new Bosch washing machine that we bought - replaced three times under warrenty. After the lights dimming episode we would switch off at the wall and all was fine.

Once put a scope on the mains and with all the rubbish on the line it is a wonder that electronics work as good as it does. I've subsequently bought a server room UPS that full time converts the mains into DC and then creates a nice clean AC mains out of it. No more issues with TV, internet routers, computers etc. and the tube amplifier runs at the perfect voltage so potentially ensuring longest life of the tubes.

Looking back I noticed this thread was started 18 months ago, and I never did acquire a pair of Q7s.

Now I've secured a pair from a PFM member and really looking forward to hearing them.

I would have thought that someone would hang on to it considering the quality and cost of the materials and build. I do wonder how long they'll be available as a kit, I'm half tempted to obtain a second set and stack them.

Did you ever read the single post that inductorman (Malcolm Jones) had on this board regarding the LS3/5A?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/falcon-acoustics-ls3-5a.162598/page-11#post-2892485

Cheers!

Looking back I noticed this thread was started 18 months ago, and I never did acquire a pair of Q7s.

Now I've secured a pair from a PFM member and really looking forward to hearing them.

And I have mixed feelings about letting them go but owning two pairs of speakers really doesn't suit me. I'm truly pleased you're having them Martyn and really looking forward to what you think.

And I have mixed feelings about letting them go but owning two pairs of speakers really doesn't suit me. I'm truly pleased you're having them Martyn and really looking forward to what you think.

I'm the same - don't like to be a collector and stack the home full with stuff that I'm unlikely to use.

The only things I keep is spares for gear that's in use: I've got three sets of spare output tubes for my current SE amplifier (very hard to find), two sets of spare driver tubes and a full range of 1 watt metal film resistors. No value in the latter so might as well keep them.

It's strange, have not bothered in a long time but this time I started to investigate what kind of wax / oil I should use on the Q7's to keep them pristine looking. I reckon it would be best to put it on before assembly. Initially thought about beeswax, then some teak oil but in the end settled on buying some Renaissance Wax which is used by the Queen and museums all over the world. Cannot be too bad if a Britsich Museum developped it although the stuff stinks the first few days.

@Martyn Miles : I once stacked some Kef constructor series CS1 (or CS1A - had both but have forgotten which one I did use) on top of the Rogers LS3/5A and it was like the female singers were there right in the room.

If I was to win lotto and the Q7 or Falcon LS3/5A was still for sale I would get a second set and try it out again. In case of only the Q7 available I just might get the router out and turn it into the LS3/5A, likely with a removeable back (got some 9 ply 1/2" baltic birch here...)

Morning Martyn
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the differences (& similarities) between the Q7s & V3s. I was torn between the two but settled on the Stirlings. I suspect I would have been happy either way.
TS

advertisement

Back