advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

@garyi It was a bit of a cut and shut, as the show deviated somewhat from the books by the end of series 5 and series 6. The dogs and people coming back from the dead are to set it up for a possible next series, where it is all explained as the Laconian empire arises.

I enjoyed the series though, and loved the books, gives more background and detail than the series could.

@garyi It was a bit of a cut and shut, as the show deviated somewhat from the books by the end of series 5 and series 6. The dogs and people coming back from the dead are to set it up for a possible next series, where it is all explained as the Laconian empire arises.

I enjoyed the series though, and loved the books, gives more background and detail than the series could.

I thought they said this was the last season?

Just finished È stata la mano di Dio - It Was The Hand of God - on Netflix. A wonderful, wonderful, rich, entertaining, moving, witty, humane, and sad movie by Paolo Sorrentino with Toni Servillo. A kid (Sorrentino himself) growing up with an extended family (including a very acceptable voluptuous aunt) in Naples, at the time Maradona got signed for Naples. Best thing I’ve seen for a good while.
Oh almost forgot that one reason to sign back up,
as well as "The devil all the time".

The Silence of the Lambs free on Amazon prime video.
Not sure if they've used the recent 4k transfer on this and it wasn't advertised as such but it was a completely different experience seeing it in such great clarity. Had it on DVD and VHS way back when and it always looked gloomy and washed out. Not now though. Looked mint. Really enjoyed it.

14 Peaks - Nothing is Impossible on Netflix - the story of a Nepalese mountaineer climbing all 14 8000m peaks in 7 months is a good watch. Not many people have done that in a lifetime. “When you are f*cked you are only 45% f*cked” he says as he nips up a huge Himalayan peak in a gale with a hangover.

Also, if you’re into mountains, “The Conquest of Everest” on Netflix - the story of the original ascent by Hilary and Tensing, all original footage. Contrast their months long expedition involving tons of equipment, hundreds of porters and weeks of approach with Nirmal Purja’s up and down style in the 14 Peaks movie.

We started watch Annette on Mubi (free week trial on ATV) it’s the Mael brothers (Sparks) movie, we gave up after about 30 mins despite the amazing reviews we couldn’t get on with it in the end we ended up watching In The Silver Lake, also on Mubi, which is a bit Mullholland Drive/David Lynch type movie we’re only half way through but it is pretty good.

Last edited:
Last night we watched The Father on Amazon Prime.

A very moving performance from Anthony Hopkins as an elderly man with dementia and Olivia Coleman as his caring daughter.

Confusing at times as the film is presented from his perspective along with disorienting time sequences, the apartments furniture changing at random etc.

A very moving, and emotional film.

advertisement

Back