advertisement

I need this like I need another hole in my head, but...

Joe P

Memory Alpha incarnate | mod; Shatner number = 2
I don't know if I'll take the plunge on the Voigtlander's APO-Skopar 90mm f/2.8, but it's tempting given the size — it's just a teeny-weeny bit larger than the Ultron 40mm f/2.

https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/sl/90-mm-12-8-apo-skopar-sl-iis/?lang=en

Among other things, it comes with an integrierten CPU ist auch die Kommunikation mit dem Kamerabody gewährleistet. Yes, you read that correctly — an integrierten CPU!

Joe

I've got a couple of Voigtlander lenses (wide angle ones) which I really like, partly because they are so compact - but I'm not convinced I'd have a lot of use for a short telephoto that's as slow as F2.8. I have had a 90mm F2.8 before, as part of a Contax G system I used to have, and while it was a very capable lens I just didn't find it useful (and ended up selling the whole system as it just didn't get used).

A small, lightweight prime lens on a Df works for me ... but I need this like I need another hole in my head.

Voigtlander-APO-SKOPAR-90mm-f2.8-SL-II-S-lens-for-Nikon-F-mount-4.jpg

Joe

Among other things, it comes with an integrierten CPU ist auch die Kommunikation mit dem Kamerabody gewährleistet. Yes, you read that correctly — an integrierten CPU!

So you can use it to do your taxes and surf the interwebs?

I have their 40mm f/2 and it's extraordinary. I use it on an FE and it makes for a perfect combo size-wise. I also happen to like the FOV much more than on a 50mm now. Tempted by this 90mm. Thanks for reminding me! Where's a good place to buy these nowadays? I think I got my 40mm years ago via ebay directly from Japan.

albireo,

Tempted by this 90mm. Thanks for reminding me! Where's a good place to buy these nowadays?

I don't know. My local camera guy in Canada found out about the lens from me. He's now looking into whether it will be available in Canada. The one thing with Voigtlander that irks me is that no matter how popular a lens is they have an annoying tendency to discontinue it after a few years. If the 90mm f/2.8 appeals to you, get it while it's in production. The price afterward on eBay and elsewhere is ridiculously inflated.

Joe

I have their 40mm f/2 and it's extraordinary. I use it on an FE and it makes for a perfect combo size-wise. I also happen to like the FOV much more than on a 50mm now. Tempted by this 90mm. Thanks for reminding me! Where's a good place to buy these nowadays? I think I got my 40mm years ago via ebay directly from Japan.

I bought my Voigt glass from Robert White who tend to have the most reliable stock in the UK.

Gromit,

I got lucky and found mint used copies of the 20mm f/3.5 and 40mm f/2. Both are very good lenses, especially the 40mm, and both are wee, pancakey things. If my local guy decides to stock the 90mm f/2.8 I'll find it difficult to not fall debit card first into his card-swiping machine.

Www3ZCt.jpg

Sorry for the gratuitous Star Trek content. I never do that.

Joe

Looks great! But I have the 20mm AF-D f/2.8 already so truly no excuse for me :) Though your Voigtlaender will be much smaller of course. Hm.

Whereas I notice on the web page posted by Gromit above that there's a new 28mm out as well. Not to mention that 58mm f/1.4.... GAS is intensifying..

albireo,

How's that juicy 58mm...Please someone tell me it's horrible, unusable wide-open...

I've not used the 58mm f/1.4, but the 40mm f/2 really is a wonderful little lens. It's so good that even Mr. Leica likes it. Unless you need a lens that's a tiny bit longer and a stop faster, I think the 90mm f/2.8 makes more sense.

Joe

I have the 40mm f2 permanently on my Df. Love it. They are made for each other...
I also have the 58mm f1.4 which is nice, but not as nice. Favourite short telephoto is actually the Nikon 105 f2.5Ais on the Df. But I like the sound of the 90....

P.S. The 40mm f/2 is slightly better optically (a little sharper, a little less vignetting), but the 20mm f/3.5 is my fave Voigtlander. Here's a sample.

51415829191_7c5333cc49_h.jpg
Joe, I was going to ask if someone's still living there - but it's clear that when someone arrived to check it out, they looked under the pot plant for the key, decided to take the plant instead! Cool image, love to know more about the location. Is it urban or remote?

advertisement

Back