advertisement

Name Dropping.

The Wife is watching ‘Vera’ and the actor Joe McGann is in this episode.

Wife told me about him appearing at some theatre on the south coast that Wife worked at. Hastings I think.

She helped McGann avoid a load of over enthusiastic fans (he hid in her office)

Wifey has met many many well known folks, but doesn’t mention them until the memory is prompted by something.
I find it really funny that after nearly 20 years together The Wife still manages to drop a new name.

The Wife is watching ‘Vera’ and the actor Joe McGann is in this episode.

Wife told me about him appearing at some theatre on the south coast that Wife worked at. Hastings I think.

She helped McGann avoid a load of over enthusiastic fans (he hid in her office)

Wifey has met many many well known folks, but doesn’t mention them until the memory is prompted by something.
I find it really funny that after nearly 20 years together The Wife still manages to drop a new name.

SWMBOs elder sister had a few dates with 2 of the McGann brothers, not sure which ones.

In the early ‘nineties I went to see Tom Stoppard’s ‘Arcadia’ at the National Theatre, which starred Bill Nighy, Felicity Kendal (of course) and Rufus Sewell among others. The friend I went with was Sewell’s teacher when he was a teenager and after the play she took me around to the stage door where we then got in to the ‘staff bar’ and Sewell bought us a drink and chatted for a while.
Nighy was on his own at the bar drinking scotch but there was no sign of Kendal, sadly.
A couple of years earlier I attended a few things at the London Film Festival and the girl I went with worked for Channel 4 News and got us into the green room - the only other people in there were Jonathan Ross and Dennis Hopper (the former was to interview the latter on stage after a showing of ‘The Hotspot’). Hopper look fairly scary even at the age he was so we only hovered nearby.
Oh, and in the ‘seventies I kicked Chris Franke in the shin as he was coming out of Rod Argent’s Keyboards in Denmark Street.

Mick

When he was still flying for an oil company, I gave Sir Douglas Bader a met. briefing over the telephone for his return flight from Prestwick to England. "Too many bloody stairs up to your office, old boy!".
I was 23 iirc, felt I knew little and was in awe because my uncle, a few years earlier, had lent me the just-published "Reach for the Sky" and had taken me to the cinema to see the movie.

As well as all the usual civil & military aircrews, private pilots such as Hughie Green, the young Duke of Argyll and Keith Schellenberg (Olympic competitor/owner of Isle of Eigg then) could turn up "out of the blue". OK,OK! you saw that coming.

Our lovely nephew is married to Elaine Paige's niece. I chatted with her (EP) as she was at our table.

Now I am nearly 77 and feel like a waste of space, through infirmities and being unable to get stuff treated quick enough. A legacy of poor genepool (urban working-class) and ACEs.

Keeping the music playing, though.

I pushed past the Duke of Kent the other day, as I wanted to ask Maggi Hambling if she knew who had painted that awful daub on the wall (it was one of hers, and it was awful). The Duke's close protection fellow was wearing a Guards tie and an earpiece. He smiled at me knowingly.

Ska Legends........

Once shared a breakfast table with Pauline Black and her husband in small hotel in Germany, great people, very down to earth and great company - which was nice.

On a polar opposite......

Buster blood vessel once pissed on my trombone case..........tw*t.

S

When he was still flying for an oil company, I gave Sir Douglas Bader a met. briefing over the telephone for his return flight from Prestwick to England. "Too many bloody stairs up to your office, old boy!".
During the course of my work I had many dealings with Sir Douglas. A larger-than-life character, extremely argumentative, and swore more than anyone I've met. “Horseshit, old boy!” Being about the mildest thing he said when disagreeing.

Ignoring the OP's "related to", a lot of business travel has led to (merely fleeting) adjacency to some well-known names for dropping. If I remember the details correctly, over many years here are some:
  • Billy Connolly making an entrance via some of the tables (not mine) while I was breakfasting at a Glasgow hotel;
  • Colin Firth and family sitting quietly in adjacent seats on a flight to somewhere in Europe;
  • Jeremy Clarkson (& film crew entourage, I think) being larger than life at baggage reclaim at Turin(?) airport;
  • Edwina Currie and travelling partner being very discreet at a departure gate at Ottawa(?) airport; and
  • Kofi Annan and security entourage leaving a Geneva hotel, causing delay as I was arriving while everyone else fussed around him.

I once nearly killed pool shark Willie Mosconi.

I was walking up a staircase, Mosconi and his entourage were walking down, something distracted me and I tripped over my own feet and face-planted right into Mosconi's feet. He was about to do an ender over my back but someone caught him, otherwise he would have tumbled all the way down.

During the course of my work I had many dealings with Sir Douglas. A larger-than-life character, extremely argumentative, and swore more than anyone I've met. “Horseshit, old boy!” Being about the mildest thing he said when disagreeing.
Thanks for that, Tony - made my day!

Ooh, how could I forget? Travelling to London by train three or four years ago. Train stopped at Herne Hill and Linton Kwesi Johnson got on and sat opposite me. I sat there wondering if I should say anything then realised I’d always regret it if I didn’t, so I chatted with him for a few minutes about how I first saw him on the OGWT during the musicians’ strike, and how much I loved his poetry. Even shook his hand - he smiled when I did so; I’d never seen him smile before!

Mick

Ooh, how could I forget? Travelling to London by train three or four years ago. Train stopped at Herne Hill and Linton Kwesi Johnson got on and sat opposite me. I sat there wondering if I should say anything then realised I’d always regret it if I didn’t, so I chatted with him for a few minutes about how I first saw him on the OGWT during the musicians’ strike, and how much I loved his poetry. Even shook his hand - he smiled when I did so; I’d never seen him smile before!

Mick
Here we go, double name drop....
I met LKW at University, circa '84. Great guy. He was visiting a mate of mine whose Dad, Tony Meehan was the drummer in the Shadows.

Once on a train back from leeds i saw Krishnan Guru-Murthy, he got off at york. I was contemplating asking him to write his autograph on my thighs but thought no.

I pushed past the Duke of Kent the other day, as I wanted to ask Maggi Hambling if she knew who had painted that awful daub on the wall (it was one of hers, and it was awful). The Duke's close protection fellow was wearing a Guards tie and an earpiece. He smiled at me knowingly.

Snap. I saw Maggi Hambling having a fag in the street the other week.

advertisement

Back