advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I just watched Drive on blu ray there and I've got to say, it's much better than I originally thought it was. I mean, when I saw it in the pictures at the time of its release I profusely apologised to my mate for suggesting we go and see it; my mate thought it was amazing so no was apology necessary. I don't know if it seemed too slow or it seemed like a blatant rip-off of '80s vibes, but I didn't rate it at all. I think my declared opinion after seeing it was that it was terrible!

Having just watched it again I can see why it's considered to be quite a good film. The music for starters is really good. Lots of '80s dream-pop and synth vibes. Apparently, Johnny Jewel had put a score together (or some of it) but in the end, the producers went in a different direction. I would have loved to have seen the film with a proper Johnny Jewel soundtrack as he is a synth pop/dream pop master extraordinaire.

It also has great visuals, especially the night scenes. I'm no fan of Ryan Gosling and while I reckon it could have been a better film with a better lead actor, he really does a good job here. In a word, recommended viewing.

Here's a great track by the Chromatics that made the final cut:

Well I'm not sure I can match the heights of critical subtlety and analysis which some of you apply to film, but I know what I like..

But that's not important right now....

Do any of you find some films so affecting that you can't bring yourself to watch them again..even though you thoroughly enjoyed them (mostly)?

I mean I find the scene in 'Ryan', where one guy is fighting for his life in a building, against a huge German ,while another guy sits terrified on a stairway, ignored.. to be a horrifying watch.

I recently watched 'Promising Young Woman'.. and even tho, maybe because.. I find Carey Mulligan staggeringly attractive.. I can't see me watching it again.. good as it is.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory and King and Country all have similar effects on me.

Well I'm not sure I can match the heights of critical subtlety and analysis which some of you apply to film, but I know what I like..

Do any of you find some films so affecting that you can't bring yourself to watch them again..even though you thoroughly enjoyed them (mostly)?

I mean I find the scene in 'Ryan', where one guy is fighting for his life in a building, against a huge German ,while another guy sits terrified on a stairway, ignored.. to be a horrifying watch.

I recently watched 'Promising Young Woman'.. and even tho, maybe because.. I find Carey Mulligan staggeringly attractive.. I can't see me watching it again.. good as it is.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory and King and Country all have similar effects on me.

Badlands

Harry Brown and Gran Torino

There are moments in films that are extremely tough to watch for sure: Hazel's demise in Watership Down and when the Macauly Culkin's character is killed by bees in My Girl spring to mind. Strangely, weird nasty shit doesn't bother me: like when Renton goes for a swim down the pan, and well, just about every fukd-up scene from Visitor Q is stuff I can watch no problem. I guess what I'm trying to say is sad stuff knocks me for six but weird shit intrigues me!

SPOILER ALERT: Oh, I forgot to say that at the end of Drive when Gosling's character gets stabbed in the torso, his jacket is soaking with blood but, when he leans back on the car you can see his midriff and there's no blood to be seen anywhere. An oversight, me thinks.

SPOILER ALERT: Oh, I forgot to say that at the end of Drive when Gosling's character gets stabbed in the torso, his jacket is soaking with blood but, when he leans back on the car you can see his midriff and there's no blood to be seen anywhere. An oversight, me thinks.
Albert Einstein is in that movie well actor Albert Brooks I like his part,he appears in a current Larry David episode of Curb.

In many ways, I think Monserrat's 'The Cruel Sea' is one of the finest of all war films; well second only, to the full 6 hours of 'Das Boot'

I watched the director’s cut of Das Boot yesterday as it was a film that was on my ‘to watch’ list. It was OK but didn’t think it was anything special. Perhaps the other 3 hours would have made the difference. Over the weekend I also watched the first 7 episodes of Star Trek Discovery which isn’t as silly as some of the earlier series but one thing that I found remarkable was the 23 people with director in their title, in the opening credits. Perhaps there is an inverse correlation between quality and the number of directors.

"It's a Wonderful Life." Not watched it for years.

Plus that bomber jacket. I would have killed for that when I was 16…

Yes, when you know what's coming you have to steele yourself and sometimes it feels like it's too much to take on. Powerful stuff, art!

There are songs and places that have the same effect on me.

Plus that bomber jacket. I would have killed for that when I was 16…

It's a cracking bomber for sure, but I don't think I would've had the confidence to wear it at that age. It's defo not my cup of tea now but it's a cracking bomber all the same.

I watched Donnie Darko on blu ray there and although I'm not convinced the video looked significantly better than regular DVD, the film, of course, is utterly brilliant! Music, acting, script, atmosphere, everything is just brilliant!

You'll probably like Baby Driver, then.

I remember seeing that a couple of ago. The thing is, I can't remember whether I simply enjoyed watching it or really liked it. It's a decent film but a great film? I honestly don't know!

I remember seeing that a couple of ago. The thing is, I can't remember whether I simply enjoyed watching it or really liked it. It's a decent film but a great film? I honestly don't know!

No. Not a great film, but one that's fun in places.

advertisement

Back