advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

I would have to agree on the Shahinian Diapasons, but then I’d need different amplifiers and, and, and…where would it all end?

Kharma Exquisite Classique, TAD Compact Reference One, Totem Wind Design, anything from Boenicke, Graham Audio LS5/5,
Harbeth Monitor 40.3 XD….

Having had Audio Notes and Audio Physics, anything from the top of either range. On the never likely too, Avant garde Trios or anything by Audiopax. Or maybe very large Maggies?

The speakers that intrigue me most are those giant horn loudspeakers that probably don’t even have a price tag. I’d need to buy the house next door and knock through to even accommodate them , but would love to hear a pair.

The speakers that intrigue me most are those giant horn loudspeakers that probably don’t even have a price tag. I’d need to buy the house next door and knock through to even accommodate them , but would love to hear a pair.

Yes indeed; perhaps those from Oswald’s Mill Audio, Brooklyn, New York?

Tannoy Prestige

I heard the Westminsters at a demo evening once, but even although it was a couple of hours, it all went by in a flash, and I can't really conjure up a view on whether they sounded anything but loud.

At one point, they put on Led Zep II and I think they overloaded my ears ... wasn't painful, but it was like the SPL had stirred up something in my ear canal, and I got this crackling noise inside my head on the peaks. And I wasn't in front of them, I was in a corridor leading to the dem room ....

I'm really curious to try the Naim Ovator S800 speakers. I hope they're nothing like Focals which I've heard at shows and demos (generally thin with a scratchy top end imho). I'm hoping they may be a bargain S/H as they were discontinued over 10 years ago, they would have to be the active version with the associated external crossover. They are a two-way design and were just under £30K new, I wonder if a pair could be had for under 10K.

What HiFi, 10 years ago described these S800 as: 'an imposing loudspeaker designed for the owner with a larger than average room and one who appreciates music played with a natural sense of scale and dynamics'

2022-01-09_11-12-25

Big pair of Acapella loudspeakers for me, always impressed when I have heard them at shows in the past with Einstein amps……

I’ve not heard the Sopras but I have heard Micro Utopias, Diablos and Kantas in the Focal ranges. They aren’t for everyone but looking at the amplification you tried with Sopras I’m not surprised. I’ve not enjoyed Naim or McIntosh with any speakers (not heard Accuphase) so the clue might be in the amps……

OK. From the generally accepted standpoint that Accuphase and McIntosh have never been awarded the coveted "World's Worst Amplifier" award and that Vervent Audio encourages Focal/Naim to claim they "voice" their electronics and loudspeakers for synergy...then I'm not aware of any amplifier that is reputed to work well with Focal Sopras.

I'm really curious to try the Naim Ovator S800 speakers. I hope they're nothing like Focals which I've heard at shows and demos (generally thin with a scratchy top end imho). I'm hoping they may be a bargain S/H as they were discontinued over 10 years ago, they would have to be the active version with the associated external crossover. They are a two-way design and were just under £30K new, I wonder if a pair could be had for under 10K.

What HiFi, 10 years ago described these S800 as: 'an imposing loudspeaker designed for the owner with a larger than average room and one who appreciates music played with a natural sense of scale and dynamics'

2022-01-09_11-12-25

I wanted to move from Naim SBLs to S400s but I thought the S400s were very boring.
I commented as such to a glowing What HiFi review of S400s.
My response was deleted within a few weeks.

Big Klipsch, big JBLs, big Harbeth , big Audio Notes

I’d probably need a new amp to drive them so a big Yamaha, Denon or Mcintosh

I wanted to move from Naim SBLs to S400s but I thought the S400s were very boring.
I commented as such to a glowing What HiFi review of S400s.
My response was deleted within a few weeks.
I think I know what you mean. When Linn dropped their original speaker lineup for the new stuff, I had many demos, all were very unsatisfying, the new lineup had no character or a particular aspect that really grabbed at your wallet. Perhaps the Naim S-series were a similar move by Naim to a characterless sound. Kudos would be where I'd start auditioning these days. Focal and Linn would be nowhere on my list.

I'm surprised What Hifi let it go for a week. Negative reviews are verboten for the likes of Naim.... You have to be very nuisanced rather that plain outright honest in such situations.

I had thought of adding some comments to a Cyrus review in What HiFi.
It seems very product they release gets a predictably stunning review.
It was only then I realised they have been a major advertiser in the magazine over many years (decades).
I've regarded What HiFi reviews in a different light since.

I had thought of adding some comments to a Cyrus review in What HiFi.
It seems very product they release gets a predictably stunning review.
It was only then I realised they have been a major advertiser in the magazine over many years (decades).
I've regarded What HiFi reviews in a different light since.

There are atleast 4 IMMUTABLE TRUTHS in this hobby:

1. HiFi forum keyboard warriors who know better than everyone else must be ignored.
2. HiFi magazines, reviewers, blogs, YouTube channels, internet sites are all publishing drivel for advertising income.
3. The great majority of HiFi dealers are concerned first and foremost with making a sale, without regard to your needs.
4. The ONLY reliable method to build a coherent system is to home demo and home demo again.

Any clever know-it-all boss guy who disbelieves any of these 4 points is part of this industry's problem and literally has no clue. Period.

advertisement

Back