advertisement

Linn Lingo4

My guess is that it's simply Linn's standard Dynamik power supply (which is usually fitted within the much larger Akurate / Klimax boxes) rehoused:

Here's a Dynamik PS (left hand side circuit board) in a Klimax case:
20211026_110137.jpg.7fc9713a34e58d352c0a544ce204ebd1.jpg

As effective as the Lingo 4 may be performance wise, aesthetically it's a bleeding disaster. If one hides it down the back of a rack it's placed amongst a lot of potential noise surely?

I wonder why Linn couldn't have built it using box section ally along the lines of Avondale's Graduation 1 pre amp, escapes me that. The Grad 1 is a real neat package. Lingo 4 an eyesore.
It’s a money saving move to quiet those who constantly complain about high prices.

That's a pretty shit reason/excuse IMHO. Box section ally extrusion is reasonably priced even in the UK.

I too hated the look of the Lingo 4 and even more so at its price point. So I looked around for a viable alternative for several months. Something that looked better, performed well, sounded great and at a much lower price.
Having sought views on both this forum and the Linn LP12 Facebook forum, I came across the Zeus power supply & motor controller built by Steve Cobham. However, it was only available as an internal unit at the time although Steve had offered a plastic External case for it in the past.
So, I managed to get Steve to offer the Zeus as an external unit in an aluminium case as an alternative option to the internal version.
Having purchased the unit a couple of months ago, I am pleased to say that it performs very well indeed and sounds absolutely superb. I have not personally heard a Lingo 4 but I cannot believe that it could sound significantly better to be honest. It does not include a new motor as does the Lingo 4 but it is only 40% of the cost.
It has a tacho sensor like the L4 that feeds back and adjusts the plstter speed on every revolution and is accurate to circa + or - 0.003rpm from the desired speed. A Radikal 2 is accurate to several more decimal places but costs a fortune in comparison.

If the Zeus is of any further interest to anybody, then full details are available on valhalla-electronics.com

Others have also been talking about the Karousel bearing. In a nutshell it is superb,accurate, fluid, musical and a truly worthwhile upgrade. I went from black liner bearing to Cirkus to Karousel and the latter is best by far.

Hope that helps

I just object to being taken for a mug. Linn were never cheap but their prices are greatly outstripping inflation and they are charging crazy prices for their new products. Rega are a successful UK manufacturer who you can tell are trying to deliver value as well as quality. Linn are just trying to milk people for as much as they can get away with. Don't get me wrong, love the LP12 as a record player but really don't have a lot of time for Linn.

You should visit the factory and meet the people who make and design the kit. While I don't always agree with their pricing policy I have a different view of the most friendly bunch you will ever meet, excellent hospitality and lovely food. They make almost everything in the factory including the casework (no extrusions) and the brackets that hold the circuit boards. Obsessive with quality. Very low staff turnover (unsurprising) and the lady who builds the LP12s knows half the people in my village.

The Lingo power supply doesn't pick up noise and can go down the side of the other kit, you just need to reach the switch. I would rather save the £200 quid or so of fancy pointless case.

Be sure to replace the 4 metal stand-offs with nylon. Linn implemented this change in response to reports of ground loops with the metal ones. Also, the new ones are 15mm long vs 18mm for the original metal ones, to prevent the Lingo 4 board touching the Solid Base/Trampolinn on some decks.

Where can I get the nylon stand=offs from would Linn supply them if asked ? (for a fee of course)

You should visit the factory and meet the people who make and design the kit. While I don't always agree with their pricing policy I have a different view of the most friendly bunch you will ever meet, excellent hospitality and lovely food. They make almost everything in the factory including the casework (no extrusions) and the brackets that hold the circuit boards. Obsessive with quality. Very low staff turnover (unsurprising) and the lady who builds the LP12s knows half the people in my village.

The Lingo power supply doesn't pick up noise and can go down the side of the other kit, you just need to reach the switch. I would rather save the £200 quid or so of fancy pointless case.
Yep, absolutely… good bunch of people on the whole, I’ve had some good conversations with a few of them.

It would need to be hidden out of sight as it is an ugly piece of equipment. I struggled to see its value at £1,450 and now at £1,650 it is heading towards cloud cuckoo land, I am sorry to say. For that sort of money it should already be housed in a high quality good looking case. Instead, it looks as if they borrowed it from a laptop somewhere..

I can only see the end of mine. I bought it because of the sound not the aesthetics. My Lingo 1 works fine after nearly 30 years, and is serviceable to last another 30. If the new one lasts as long it's not bad value. Making room for a fancy case on my shelves would be a nuisance.

I can only see the end of mine. I bought it because of the sound not the aesthetics. My Lingo 1 works fine after nearly 30 years, and is serviceable to last another 30. If the new one lasts as long it's not bad value. Making room for a fancy case on my shelves would be a nuisance.

Given that I won’t be around in another 30 years, that was not one of my priorities. Just as well we all like different things and are able to perceive value in different ways too. Enjoy the music!

Plan for the worst and hope for the best, you might be surprised. Have long since decided to buy and listen to records while the opportunity exists, either they or I might not be here to do it if postponed too long. Have probably spent half the price of a Radikal on LP's in the last year but don't regret it. My work doesn't really allow me the time to research and try many alternatives so the Linn solution is a known and reliable option for me.

To be honest, the Lingo 4 should be able to sit behind/underneath most racks… I actually considered it, but it was Lingo 2/Karousel or Lingo 4/Cirkus… so that swung the Lingo 2

advertisement

Back