advertisement

Novak Djokovic....there may be trouble ahead at the Australian Open

canonman

pfm Member
Novak Djokovic has been given a medical exemption to play at the Australian Open Tennis after continuing to refuse to disclose his vaccination status.

Fans and sports commentators fuming. Many people suggesting boycotting the tournament.

All a bit mysterious but Aussie Border Force suggesting that he may not get into the country.

Any theories about his exemption?

He, or anyone else, should not be able to get on a flight anywhere if not vaccinated and a negative test within 72 hours. IMHO of course.

Some claims that the few exemptions that have been granted (his is not the only one, apparently) have been applied for 'anonymously' with ample medical evidence supplied. Can't see it myself.

He could well fly private to get around airline restrictions?

It stinks - but it seems somehow that the tennis world is taking Coronavirus less seriously than other sports have. The tennis authorities need to wake up.

I am sure the Aussie audience will make him very welcome;)

Some claims that the few exemptions that have been granted (his is not the only one, apparently) have been applied for 'anonymously' with ample medical evidence supplied. Can't see it myself.

He could well fly private to get around airline restrictions?

It stinks - but it seems somehow that the tennis world is taking Coronavirus less seriously than other sports have. The tennis authorities need to wake up.

I am sure the Aussie audience will make him very welcome;)

Border control could still stop him getting off a private jet

I expect he will get a Stuart Broad type welcome from the Aussies:)

interesting that tournament and state rules appear different to federal rules - or at least on the surface anyway.....

It seems the rules only apply in Western Australia. My brother lives there, they would’ve allowed the cricket players in, but not the entourage.

He comes across as a self entitled prick and the fact he shows no willingness to explain his exemption etc. (as that's only for the little people) as well as his comments on vaccines last year sort of prove it. He'll be allowed to play and let's hope he loses.

Nah. He's high profile so all about bums on seats and money (tv deals and sponsorship).
Precisely. He is bidding to be the male GOAT by winning a 21st Slam (one ahead of Federer and Nadal), possibly en route to becoming the GOAT (Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Margaret Court have more), and that is potentially an enormous draw card.

He’s always struck me as a mischievous character and not too bothered about being ‘loved’. As long as ‘any publicity is still good publicity’ he may be enjoying giving the middle finger to all the teeth suckers:)

Eh? I thought Andy Murray was the GOAT, the BBC seem to think so anyway :D

Naughty, nobody has ever suggested that - he has beaten some GOATs though and it is a great shame that injury prevented more contests. He's certainly been a great player.

Those geese can be right stroppy bastards:D

Maybe, subconsciously, I conflated it with the expression 'what is good for the goose, should be good for the gander' which also springs to mind to address Djokovic getting preferential treatment. Anyway, good spot, original post edited accordingly.

advertisement

Back