advertisement

Dac/Pre Help

SomeGuy

pfm Member
Hi all,

I am looking for a new dac/pre. It must have a digital input (coax/toslink), an RCA/Analog input & a remote. Not too concerned whether it's a dac, a pre with dac/digital inputs or a headphone amp.

I currently have a Burson Conductor V2+ but that is causing some considerable 'hum' issues so needs to go back.

I am finding it difficult not to just go for a Benchmark DAC2, but thought I'd get a few other suggestions, if possible, to consider.

I like a neutral, detailed, accurate/dynamic sound (if that helps). Budget up to around £800 but, as ever, cheaper is welcomed!!

Current list of considerations:

Benchmark DAC2
Mytek
Naim UnitiQute
Moon 230HAD

Many thanks

I think highly of my Bryston BDA2. Cost me just under £1000 s/h.

I’d also recommend Arcam’s flagship D33. I sold one recently for £600 - simply because the Bryston edged it and was a match for my B135-3.

EDIT - apologies if you mean it must also function as a pre - these two obviously don’t.

BTW of the ones you list I’ve heard the Benchmark into ATC active 50s, and it’s excellent.

Worth considering a Quad Vena .. answers all your requirements admirably with some to spare.
Technically an integrated but can also be used as a pre.

Also the RME ADI-2 FS (not the one with the display) which also has an analogue in.

448721.jpg

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...MI2YrWqbaV9QIVVbTVCh3QywBeEAQYASABEgJrxfD_BwE

EDIT - apologies if you mean it must also function as a pre - these two obviously don’t.

BTW of the ones you list I’ve heard the Benchmark into ATC active 50s, and it’s excellent.

Many thanks. Yeah, I need preamp functionality I'm afraid but good to know the Benchmark was a good match with ATC's as that's what I have.

Worth considering a Quad Vena .. answers all your requirements admirably with some to spare.
Technically an integrated but can also be used as a pre.

Also the RME ADI-2 FS (not the one with the display) which also has an analogue in.

448721.jpg

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...MI2YrWqbaV9QIVVbTVCh3QywBeEAQYASABEgJrxfD_BwE
The Vena used as a Pre in an excellent idea, I used one with a QSP power and ProAc 115 for a while, really nice amp.

Think that RME lacks remote, pity the FS Pro R BE is so expensive cos it ticks all boxes and then some, even used it'd be about a £Grand I think.

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

I like my TEAC UD-503 (now superseded by the similar UD-505) very much, and it fits the bill. It is very flexible and the volume control, with a large display of its setting, is the most pleasing I have ever used.

Thanks all for your help/replies.

I’ve been curious about the Chord range & stumbled across a Qutest for a good price, so I’ve nabbed that & I’ll see how that goes.

Obvious change in requirements, given it’s a Dac only, but hopefully it will work out ok.

Thanks all for your help/replies.

I’ve been curious about the Chord range & stumbled across a Qutest for a good price, so I’ve nabbed that & I’ll see how that goes.

Obvious change in requirements, given it’s a Dac only, but hopefully it will work out ok.
It’s a nice DAC, pity they didn’t give it a remote. It can act as a bit of a benchmark :) cos there are loads of reviews and you can use the same reviewers opinions to give you a rough guide towards further options to consider.

The RME model I posted above (#3) doesn't unfortunately :(
Also apparently discontinued according to Thomann .....

Still on the RME site and available here

I run one as the analogue side together with an adi-2 dac fs. It doesn't have a USB interface to a computer but is fine as a standalone dac or as a digital format converter. I suspect that the money is in the analogue circuitry. The headphone out is meant as a monitor rather than a full on headphone amp but is pretty decent. The pro, as Amber suggested, might be a better option for most folks, rather than the pair, but the i/o combination is different. It also comes only in the sudio 'livery' rather than the black.

I've been using Mytek DACs for a while as a pre and a DAC. I have a Manhattan II, one of its advantages s that it has balanced inputs as well as RCA. Also the volume controls you have a choice of either digital or analog. I have tried benchmark DACs in the past and they also work well but I never used them as a DAC.

Still on the RME site and available here

Yep -posted a link to a UK dealer further up the thread ;)

No idea why Thomann listed them as no longer available ....

(I also have one BTW - use it as AD/DA/HA and pre, damn fine bit of kit it is to for the money; the headphone amp is the same as that of the more expensive models according to RME)

Believe it or not the CA streammagic is an excellent dac and pre amp.
No analogue input though.

advertisement

Back