advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

81PfWJT4aUL._SL1200_.jpg

Currentzis/Stravinsky

COR16062_1024x1024.jpg

Beautiful singing, very accomplished playing but pretty much entirely lacking in the fire that a piece written in 3 weeks of creative fury should have.

I agree!
I’ve got five versions of the Messiah but always go back to the Hogwood/L’Oiseau Lyre version.
It still ticks all of the boxes for me, even after all of these years (and versions!)

Dvorak Symphony 9, Serenade Opus 44 / Weiner Philharmoniker / Kertesz - Absolutely stunning for it’s intensity, ethnicity, and visceral beauty. Bravo, and a heartfelt debt of gratitude to Decca and the Australian Eloquence label for releasing this gem…

Alan Beeb’s recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000XJ1444/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

There’s nothing more uplifting in these grim times than this suite of concertos by one of the finest humans to have lived. I used to listen to them 40 years ago exactly as a student in a bow ended bedroom at night on the other side of Edinburgh’s New Town now I’m repeating it at the other end of the New Town with worse hearing but better taste ( first time was Karajan conducting the BPO on grim period multimiced DG vinyl).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Scarlatti Piano Sonatas / Sudbin / BIS - I really like this guy’s way with Scarlatti. He reminds me of Horowitz, which IMO is a very good thing, especially in this repertoire.

Ernest MacMillan: Quartet in Cm. I mostly like this because the Scherzo always reminds me that I should listen to the allegretto tranquillo from Othmar Schoeck's 2nd quartet (see below). Nonetheless the MacMillan is a great quartet by itself.

lp_string-quartet-in-c-minor-two-sketches-on_sir-ernest-macmillan-amadeus-quartett_itemimage.png

Alan Beeb’s recommendation:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000XJ1444/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

There’s nothing more uplifting in these grim times than this suite of concertos by one of the finest humans to have lived. I used to listen to them 40 years ago exactly as a student in a bow ended bedroom at night on the other side of Edinburgh’s New Town now I’m repeating it at the other end of the New Town with worse hearing but better taste ( first time was Karajan conducting the BPO on grim period multimiced DG vinyl).

I found that the acoustic was too wooden and echoey on that recording and am still searching for something I like. Great music though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back