advertisement

Gear you can't stand the look of

Neil P

pfm Member
Does anyone have brands/models they wouldn't consider because of looks (regardless how good they sound). For me it is Cyrus .. I can't explain why, but their casework size/style REALLY annoys me ha ha

Tidal, Avalon, Rockport and all other similar speakers. Some obviously think they look lovely - I don’t!

Not a fan of Avantgarde speakers.

& on behalf of my wife, Shahinian Obelisks. I still miss them!

Love the Cyrus form factor in black - got 8 of the little bu****s :):)
I remember that Cyrus was a big favourite of WHF when I was younger. For some reason I presume the gear ha# a sound signature similar to Devialet or Arcam? Is this right or am I far away? Always meant to listen to some but passed me by really.

I remember that Cyrus was a big favourite of WHF when I was younger. For some reason I presume the gear ha# a sound signature similar to Devialet or Arcam? Is this right or am I far away? Always meant to listen to some but passed me by really.
There's a gap between owning Arcam and Cyrus but I wouldn't put them in the same sound signature family - grossly simplifying I'd say Arcam = Smooth and Cyrus = Incisive, obviously influenced by room/speaker.

I don't know about Devialet but Cyrus is nothing like Arcam. Last I listened to it, Cyrus was more neutral, leaner & forward with a truncated bottom end.

I love a bit of high end bling but I’m afraid in visual terms the Metaxas and Sins stuff does nothing for me. It looks like it’s trying way too hard.

NAD kit, there just seems to be an bloody minded obstinacy in their designs which, while immediately distinguishing the brand makes me want to look away, like seeing Russel Brand or that dreadful TV dating show which starts beneath the waist, quite freakish.

NAD kit, there just seems to be an bloody minded obstinacy in their designs which, while immediately distinguishing the brand makes me want to look away, like seeing Russel Brand or that dreadful TV dating show which starts beneath the waist, quite freakish.
Dumbfounding. I can’t decide whether they are good or bad looks wise.

It is way easier for me to call the brands with a design I like than the brands I don't like because they are about 85% for me I guess.
I like the Spendor classic line, Harbeth, Klipsch Heritage, older Sonus Faber like Cremona (auditor M) and Guarneri Memento, Devore Fidelity, Tannoy Prestige and Legacy, Naim, Croft, Audio Note, Air Tight, some Rega stuff, Linn LP 12, Palmer, Dr. Feickert, Nottingham Analog.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back