advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I think you've forgotten there are 7 in a box? And this may exclude LFTs consumed by some front-line workers, most notably NHS (I spoke Today to an NHS friend who says he has plenty).

They have been scarce for a few weeks though, and I havn't been able to get any from my local Pharmacies. After a few tries, the Government website has Today accepted my order though.

Perhaps, but remember when each glove in a box of 100 and each mask in a pack of 50 was counted as an item of PPE by Matt Cockhand?

I still have two full boxes and a single odd kit.. i.e. 15 in total. All of these are from the days when you could barely walk past a pharmacy without having a couple of boxes thrust into your hands. Since I'm retired and hardly in contact with anyone, I just don't use many.
Last time we both tested was on the morning of Boxing Day, prior to getting together with our two daughters, their partners and 3 Grandkids between them.

All adults tested negative. I reasoned that if the kids had picked anything up at school, they'd have passed it on to their parents by now.

We had a good day. The first family gathering for two years.

Of course there is still time for something to sneak through.. but all is well so far.

Coronavirus "surge hubs" are to be set up at hospitals across England in preparation for a potential wave of Omicron admissions, the NHS has said.

The eight temporary "Nightingale" units will each house about 100 patients, with building starting this week.

There are also plans to identify sites for a further 4,000 beds if needed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59823652

Leeds Hospital to host one of the first 'Nightingale hubs' based in a car park at St James's Hospital

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1476464984926339076/photo/1

Does that count as the nhs being overwhelmed? Probably not to Sunak and Co.

#1667; #1689

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve also received a couple of PMs about my decision to drop off pfm, which I very much appreciated. Thanks guys. At this point, I haven’t decided whether this is permanent, or just a fire break™ but events on this thread and elsewhere here did lead me to decide to spend time on other things instead. To be frank, I miss this place, and most of the people who post here, but sometimes there’s an intolerance of different viewpoints that I’m not comfortable with. And sometimes, people aren't above a fairly blatant 'misinterpretation' of what you post, and I'm absolutely not prepared to just put up with that. I’m not setting myself up as somehow above all that (though I do try, quite hard, to be fair and appropriately respectful in challenging other posts) but in some ways, if and when I fail to live up to that, a little bit of me feels diminished by it. That happened in a post (which I very quickly deleted) in response to goading by tiggers. It was inappropriate on the public forum and I’m grateful for the opportunity he then gave me to say it to him more directly.

For now at least, I haven’t changed my mind. I have one person on ignore, and that makes the threads they post on difficult enough to follow and I’m loath to create a longer ignore list for that reason. I could ignore this thread, but it’s been a massive source of information during this crisis, so that’d be self-defeating. I could self-censor so as not to attract unwanted or undeserved attention, but I may as well just lurk if that’s the way forward. So I don’t know. Haven’t decided. But for now, I’m keeping on keeping off and I guess at some point I’ll either stop missing it, or decide I miss it too much to deny myself the opportunity to impose myself on others.

Let’s just agree for now that we all hope 2022 will be a better year than recent ones. So long, and thanks for all the (pink) fish.

Steve

Instead of setting up 'Nightingale' wards in Portacabins which the NHS can't staff properly private hospitals which are staffed should be commandeered until this is over. Won't happen though - too many Tory supporters go private and would be upset to lose their privileges.

Can I ask a question about the lateral flow tests?, a bit of history went out on Boxing Day for drinks on my own to the local pub. Was sat on my own for about 4 hours watching the football. Following day felt a bit warm and had chills so did a test which was negative, following day no change - slight cough and chills but still negative on nasal lateral flow test but as staying at my mums decided to keep in my own room to be on the safe side. Yesterday did another lateral flow test and two lines evident on the C and T but the T line was feint But obviously positive so arranged a PCR test and self isolation continues. Awaiting result of that. I’ve got a sore throat / headache / raised glands in my throat and a runny nose. Am triple jabbed as well but feel pretty lethargic.
Out of interest did another Lateral flow test this morning and immediately within 2 mins of dropping the solution on I saw two lines come out very clearly?, this didn’t take 15-30 mins it was practically after I dropped the solution on does this mean I’ve got a lot of virus in me - any experts wish to comment.
My elderly mum is with me in the house but thankfully tested negative when she did a test yesterday.
Bit worried about my mum getting it as well to be honest don’t know how I came to get it as I haven’t been talking to folks outside in the pub at close quarters?. No one else in the family has it or symptoms.

Can I ask a question about the lateral flow tests?, a bit of history went out on Boxing Day for drinks on my own to the local pub. Was sat on my own for about 4 hours watching the football. Following day felt a bit warm and had chills so did a test which was negative, following day no change - slight cough and chills but still negative on nasal lateral flow test but as staying at my mums decided to keep in my own room to be on the safe side. Yesterday did another lateral flow test and two lines evident on the C and T but the T line was feint But obviously positive so arranged a PCR test and self isolation continues. Awaiting result of that. I’ve got a sore throat / headache / raised glands in my throat and a runny nose. Am triple jabbed as well but feel pretty lethargic.
Out of interest did another Lateral flow test this morning and immediately within 2 mins of dropping the solution on I saw two lines come out very clearly?, this didn’t take 15-30 mins it was practically after I dropped the solution on does this mean I’ve got a lot of virus in me - any experts wish to comment.
My elderly mum is with me in the house but thankfully tested negative when she did a test yesterday.
Bit worried about my mum getting it as well to be honest don’t know how I came to get it as I haven’t been talking to folks outside in the pub at close quarters?. No one else in the family has it or symptoms.

This is anecdotal as I'm no expert, but when my partners' kids tested positive they all showed a faint line on the T on their initial tests and it took 20 mins or so to show, but the next day the line against T appeared almost instantly wen the they tested and then they were confirmed by PCR a day later. However my partner who was with them while they isolated never caught it so I don't think the speediness of the line appearing indicates anything other than you probably have Covid-19. Good luck and hope you are all OK.

I find it amazing that no one else in the household who has been with me over Christmas has caught it thankfully. My girlfriend has been with me for most of Christmas and nothing at all. It’s the only good thing about it for me that it seems to pick people at random for some reason. Although she has had 3x Pfizer and I’ve had 2x Az and 1 Pfizer booster.

I’m just glad I’ve had the 3 jabs - I dread to think how this would of panned out without it as I feel pretty crap!.

Not an expert but you almost certainly have it - 2 false positives would be very unlikely, especially at a time when infection is so widespread. If you can, better to isolate from your mum, and get as much ventilation going through your house as you can. Good luck, hope it remains mild.

I find it amazing that no one else in the household who has been with me over Christmas has caught it thankfully. My girlfriend has been with me for most of Christmas and nothing at all. It’s the only good thing about it for me that it seems to pick people at random for some reason. Although she has had 3x Pfizer and I’ve had 2x Az and 1 Pfizer booster.

I’m just glad I’ve had the 3 jabs - I dread to think how this would of panned out without it as I feel pretty crap!.

All the best!

I'd echo what @Seanm has said but also point out that there's a delay of a couple of days between time of exposure and when you will test positive and start to become infectious. Best of luck to you and your family.

P.S. I'm obviously not an expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back