advertisement

Playing ripped files on disc versus CD

Neil P

pfm Member
My denon sacd has the ability to play CD/SACD discs or WAV/FLAC/DSD rips stored in CDR/CDRW/DVD. When playing rips, would it be reading the data in a different way, i.e. storing it in a buffer? Just wondering whether there might be a difference in sound quality.

There are various threads on innuos and folks comments vary on sound quality. Some think they are the same. I am currently comparing an innuos Zen Mark 3 to my humble marantz sa8005 into a black ice sac dac

After some teething troubles with the app I am now on a roll and enjoying it. Whether the sound is better I am not yet 100% sure . Certainly the CD is still very good indeed and there are pro's and con's

For instance at the flick of a button one can choose the tracks without loading a disk but the app can be a pain, it often does not recognise the server which is irritating but eventually it does

Your sacd player is still superb . Is it quiet in use ?

There are various threads on innuos and folks comments vary on sound quality. Some think they are the same. I am currently comparing an innuos Zen Mark 3 to my humble marantz sa8005 into a black ice sac dac

After some teething troubles with the app I am now on a roll and enjoying it. Whether the sound is better I am not yet 100% sure . Certainly the CD is still very good indeed and there are pro's and con's

For instance at the flick of a button one can choose the tracks without loading a disk but the app can be a pain, it often does not recognise the server which is irritating but eventually it does

I'd be interested to know the mechanics of how the different disc types are played.

My denon sacd has the ability to play CD/SACD discs or WAV/FLAC/DSD rips stored in CDR/CDRW/DVD. When playing rips, would it be reading the data in a different way, i.e. storing it in a buffer? Just wondering whether there might be a difference in sound quality.

Why wonder when you can test it?

Sorry I should clarify... I wonder if there is a difference in the mechanics of the playback. I'll soon do a comparison to see if I can hear a difference
Yes. A rip is more likely to sound better than playing direct from the optical disk. The reason is that rips will reread the same data over until it gets an accurate match each time and saves that on mass storage for future use so will be closest to what was recorded. Playing directly you get only the bit stream that comes off the disc at the time and if that contains errors so be it.

You can try it for yourself direct vs stored rips.

Have fun,

DV

Yes. A rip is more likely to sound better than playing direct from the optical disk. The reason is that rips will reread the same data over until it gets an accurate match each time and saves that on mass storage for future use so will be closest to what was recorded. Playing directly you get only the bit stream that comes off the disc at the time and if that contains errors so be it.

You can try it for yourself direct vs stored rips.

Have fun,

DV

To rephrase the question, does the SACD player store the dsd file somewhere internally (even if only briefly)?

All cd players have a very small buffer to allow for interpolation on read errors, but rereading wasn't part of the red book spec. That's not to say some modern players might not, but they're cd playing computers, not really cd players as set out in the original red book spec which was 1x read only.

Will be testing this weekend - too many visitors over Xmas to want to start unboxing the system :)

advertisement

Back