advertisement

What were your upgrades of 2021?

2021 saw Tannoy Berkeley’s replaced with Proac D15’s which suit my listening area better. I continued to refine my DAC/streamer by adding an Allo USBsignature and some improved linear power supplies.

The most surprising purchase I’ve made this year is a vintage, Trio (Kenwood) KA-6100 for the princely sum of £175. It effortlessly drives my Proac’s and has a brilliant MM phono stage, not to mention some rather hypnotic VU meters. It has resigned my other amps to the spare room for now. Next year I will restore it and possibly seek out one of Kenwood’s top of the line amps from the same era.
Most of Kenwood’s dual mono integrated are very good sounding and probably one of the best sound for the money you can have. They are also built like a tank with components that will last a lifetime.
Just make sure the output transistors are in good condition as some of them are no longer available.
Once recapped with new Nichicon or similar quality, they will outperform many today’s integrated.

Went from Rega Brio r, Saturn r and Neat Motive SX2.
To, Rega ISIS CD player, Exposure 3010S2D amp and Dynaudio Special 40.
I also bought a pair of Audeze LCD 4 headphones (very good as new/used price) and a Burston Solist x3 headphone amp.
Sold all my guitars, which raked in £7.5k to pay for it all. And with the leftover cash ordered a new bike. Happy days.

AT-440MLA to AT-VM540ML and back to my old Goldring G1042
KAB TD-1000 damper for my Technics SL1500C
Integrated amp phono stage to Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE
Technics SL1500C bundled phono cable to Blue Jeans LC-1

Went from Rega Brio r, Saturn r and Neat Motive SX2.
To, Rega ISIS CD player, Exposure 3010S2D amp and Dynaudio Special 40.
I also bought a pair of Audeze LCD 4 headphones (very good as new/used price) and a Burston Solist x3 headphone amp.
Sold all my guitars, which raked in £7.5k to pay for it all. And with the leftover cash ordered a new bike. Happy days.
see quite a few dynaudio special 40 on eBay. What do you like about them ? Very tempting to dem a pair As loved the 52se in the past

Very much enjoying some Finnish speakers on demo at the moment but those Danish speakers attract as well as another brand from Denmark only available direct

Only second hand cables this year. A MCRU pinnacle high current power lead to feed my regenerator and a MCRU No77 power cable from the regenerator to my mains block. Previously I'd been using Furutech Alpha 3 instead. A superb upgrade.

Then I replaced some Yannis Tome silver interconnects from my pre to my mono blocks with Siltech Classic 550s. Another large step up. Very happy.

A Musicworks Revive mains cable replaced a Furutech Ftps30 cable to my dac. Much better separation and bass.

Not so much upgrades as additions ;)
Tweaked the Orbe.
Added 2 new TT's, a JVC TT-71 and a SP-10
Played around with 12 inch arms (a wooden arm and a unipivot arm)
Tweaked a DL103M (new cantilever and FGS tip)
Added a BB3 (then tube rolled)
Changed the rack (to accommodate the extra TT's)
Tried Roon (and was nonplussed)
Upgraded Volumio to version 3 and impressed

see quite a few dynaudio special 40 on eBay. What do you like about them ? Very tempting to dem a pair As loved the 52se in the past

Very much enjoying some Finnish speakers on demo at the moment but those Danish speakers attract as well as another brand from Denmark only available direct
Hi, for a small speaker they have outstanding bass and they handle all types of music really well.
Also they are not fatiguing at all. When I alternated them with my Neat, there was was so much more of everything filling the room. The Neat’s actually seemed a little shrill in comparison.
Cheers,
Steve.

Only hifi upgrade I bought this year was a 1210gr with a AT-VM540ML. My old mk2’s have gone into the spare room.

I'm not sure what I bought when, but my most recent purchase has been a pair of Avalon Ideas to replace the NP 2 from the same manufacturer. Wonderful.
I think my Accuphase 380 amplifier upgrade was 2021, along with some Musicworks shelves.

My only 2021 upgrades were to change my Anatek MC-1 phono stage for an MC-R and an SME 309 for an SME V in my main system.

I also sidelined the Naim Supernait for a Yamaha C-5000/M-5000 combo in my reviewing setup.

My only 2021 upgrades were to change my Anatek MC-1 phono stage for an MC-R and an SME 309 for an SME V in my main system.

I also sidelined the Naim Supernait for a Yamaha C-5000/M-5000 combo in my reviewing setup.
In one sentence, how would you compare the Supernait to the Yamy pre/amp if I may ask ?

I added a Chord Hugo TT2 and m scaler which I am happy with. Not a night and day upgrade but the law of diminishing returns springs to mind so improvements are getting more and more expensive. I am enjoying the music which is what this hobby is all about.

advertisement

Back